Marienberg modular system

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lucid
Common Wiggler

Marienberg modular system

Post by lucid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:33 am

Hi, this seems to be another European 5U producer, but I cant find anything on web just this one :

http://www.1a-shops.eu/cgi-bin/shopserv ... bid=248286

so far it looks to be only in German language, which is also not the best for me

Is there anybody who know more about it? :despair:
There is also mentioned that 2012 there should be another modules.

Please if you know something more share info, links, experience, etc...
:woah:

synthnut
Common Wiggler

Post by synthnut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 am

...Hmm looks interesting!

I like the look of the MIDI-CV unit, not a bad price either. Then look at the multiples, 143 Euros, that's an odd pricing structure!
Some of the panels seem to be folded and others flat too...?

One to watch methinks!

TTFN,
Ben
www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 am

synthnut wrote:Then look at the multiples, 143 Euros, that's an odd pricing structure!
Even if it sounds odd: You get what you pay for.

At least that's what I guess: You pay for the pleasure that the owners of Marienberg have assembled the Mult themselves. Also I'm rather sure that any module is rather one of kind than mass production. So economies of scale don't apply here. Coloring, lettering of the panel and parts used are suppossed to be high quality.

AFAIK it is a project of two brothers who do not persue any commercial success. Rather they enjoy to develop and to share a sophisticated modular system for their own pleasure.

However, I've no idea whether their modules come up to their own expectations. There are hardly any Marienberg modules floating around for the time being.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

Marienberg, nice name, but the prices are way too high. There are two prices, the lower for non EC-members?
The multimode filter looks interresting, though. Looks a bit Moogish, and the three sections are voltage controllable from other sources. Well, if I somehow just stumble on 348 euros on the street, there might be a chance.
I´m guessing this is a fairly new company. I´m sure stranslation into english will follow, as well as more pictures of the modules and larger systems.
But I have to say it´s great that there´s another company producing all the bread and butter modules.
Last edited by Putte on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Putte
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Putte » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

Also, has anyone seen what kind of connectors these modules have? I mean, how compatible are they to other modules?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 am

Putte wrote:There are two prices, the lower for non EC-members?
One price is incl. VAT the other without VAT. This is of interest for non EU-citizens (as suggest by you) and for professionals.
Putte wrote:I´m guessing this is a fairly new company.
I've seen the first couple of their modules at Schneider's about one or two years ago.

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

I just found this picture somewhere on a german forum.
No standard MU power connector. :sadbanana:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

well it's nice to know they feel absolute contempt for their potential market.

not putting a Synthesizers.com power header on your Moog-format modules is ridiculous in 2012.

MOS-LAB i understand, because he's using 12V, but i still think he should have got on board.
Last edited by suitandtieguy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Man, check out that EG. Gate outputs for each stage? Retrig. Decay to Release switch . . . would that go to the release stage with no sustain length? (EDIT: Stumbling through an online translation, it appears the Decay to Release switch is just an AR to AD thing, not some two-stage release I had been fantasizing. There appear to be two function-oriented jumpers on the pcb as well.) Definitely fascinated with that one. The stage outputs look really fun.
- analogen Spannungen ( +/-15V ) sind, unabhängig von der Last, bis aufs Millivolt genau und stabil
- digitalen Spannungen ( +3.3V und +5V )
The power header is that big of a deal, but they apparently also use 3.3v for some modules. That could be a bit of a trick. Looks like the EG might just use 15v, and that's the only one of the current line up I'm particularly interested in.

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by bwhittington on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthnut
Common Wiggler

Post by synthnut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi all...

There's possibly some logic to not having a standard PSU connector if your PSU is non-standard then!?
I suppose they could supply an adaptor cable for each module though to whatever system you happen to use, then everyone is happy...?

I still can't get over how a mult is E143.00, an attenuator is E234.00 while a quad MIDI to CV is just E260.00 It seems to be the opposite of you get what you pay for personally. I know the panel is usually the single most expensive "component" after labour, but 3 pots aren't one hundred Euros more expensive than eight jacks??? :despair:
Interestingly the attenuator is called "voltage controlled attenuator" but I can't see any reference to this in the description or panel.
Obviously a manufacturer can charge whatever price they feel like for a product. Maybe they don't like making these and would rather concentrate on the interesting modules perhaps! :hmm:

The VC-ADSR is certainly comprehensive to say the least! :eek:

I think there's going to be quite a bit of new MU comming over the horizon... :love:

TTFN,
Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Apparently we're really slacking off around here. There was an announcement of the filter module on Schneiders in July 2010:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/marien ... e-filter-2

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

double post

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 am

synthnut wrote:I still can't get over how a mult is E143.00, an attenuator is E234.00 while a quad MIDI to CV is just E260.00 It seems to be the opposite of you get what you pay for personally. I know the panel is usually the single most expensive "component" after labour, but 3 pots aren't one hundred Euros more expensive than eight jacks???
So what do you suggest? They roll the dice three times to come up with a price?

I'd once enquired about a run of professionally made 5U panels. The quote brought the whole project to an end.

I doubt that Marienberg can come up with with a price for the modules that you'll consider a fair epuivalent for your money. You seem to compare their prices to other makes but you have to approach the price from the costs of production. Keep in mind .com for example will pay way less for one of their panels then Marienberg. The same goes for any other component.

I'm not in the marktet for their products for various reasons however I think it's a passionate project which I hold in high esteem.

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 pm

OK, maybe I should do it first, but at the end I found some more info - again only in german - just right here.
http://synthesizerarchiv.de/
you need to click on MODULAR on the left side panel to read more about them and scroll down to links to specific modules...

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

lucid wrote:OK, maybe I should do it first, but at the end I found some more info - again only in german - just right here.
Nice find! There are bunch of proposed modules on that page, including a wavetable oscillator and eight phase sine oscillator, that make the line more interesting. Fun stuff!

http://synthesizerarchiv.de/modular/vc_ ... test_1.mp3
http://synthesizerarchiv.de/modular/vc_ ... test_2.mp3

galaktyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by galaktyk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes good news for Europeans. If I didn't gone modcan I would build an Marienberg maybe. I read the article in synth magazine about that System sounds good what they make. But the panel style i like more from Macbeth, the compact size on the backside is a big + for me. Hope they'll bring out some nice filters in future. Seems I've to build an another black system, too.

God please let money rain....

synthnut
Common Wiggler

Post by synthnut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi,
I don''t quite understand your remark here:
e-grad wrote: So what do you suggest? They roll the dice three times to come up with a price?

My comments just relate to the disproportionate costs of some very basic passive peripheral designs versus a highly complex one which does more "high value duties"
How a 2MU design, stuffed with electronics, displays and connectors costs just 26 Euros more than a 1MU passive (?) attenuator module.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing for people to build systems out of a passion and have a no compromise approach, but there should be a diferential in price between these, either based on the diferent costs, or values of the products. The investment in time in developing a complex circuit is very large one way or another, but a mult or attenuator doesn't require hours on end of R&D or debugging etc.
Frankly is does seem as if they used a dice to decide the prices here, you only have to compare the costs of those modules with anyone elses versions to see that something is out of kilter. :hmm:
It is however entirely their prerogative to charge whatever prices they wish, or maybe it's a typo?!

I'm very interested in the wavetable oscillator, as someone who had four Digisound VCDO's and owns a PPG 2.3 that's a real teaser! (especially if it's the same price as the MIDI-CV!!! :hyper:

We definitely have been slacking here to only have noticed this maker so late in the game.

This is certainly a renaissance with bells and whistles on in the modular world. More MU is good for you, that's my motto...

TTFN,
Ben

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:35 am

Just to make sure: My posting wasn't ment to be rude. I just want to point out that the price is not arbitrary but comes from the cost side.

I'm rather sure it's the face plate drives the price up. I've read somewhere that they choose a high quality and costly method to have it both immaculate and make the lettering long lasting. Furthermore, I'm rather sure you won't pay for the development of the circuit design.

Thus I guess it's the front panel plus a tiny bit of the manual labour and some overhead costs that brings even the most simple passive module in a price range which is prohibitive for most people. I think at Marienberg they are well aware that one of their multiples will be sold only to a handfull of devotees who own a complete Marienberg system.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm

In my experience, prices are generally fixed by distributors based on the perception of value relative to the marketplace with respect to features, size, reputation of the manufacturer, etc. This means that you make a ton of money on stuff like mults, attenuators and CV manglers, and less money on stuff like VCOs and filters. Cost ultimately has less to do with it than one might think.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 pm

synthnut wrote:My comments just relate to the disproportionate costs of some very basic passive peripheral designs versus a highly complex one which does more "high value duties"
I actually agree with that. Take a look at Moon Modular. Their multiple is far, far, far less expensive than their higher density modules. And their prices aren't exactly bargain basement price busters. (don't get me wrong, I think Moon prices their stuff fairly based on their functionality and knowing they're a small company.)

If they keep their multiple that price they won't be able to sell any of them, unless it's a buffered multi, of course.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:In my experience, prices are generally fixed by distributors based on the perception of value relative to the marketplace with respect to features, size, reputation of the manufacturer, etc.
Good point yet Marienberg has no "real" distributor. How many Wigglers have done business with SynMag? One? None?

Whether Analgoue Heaven nor Schneider list Marienberg as a make they distribute.

misa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by misa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

German Synthesizer Magazin has an article on them:

http://www.synmag.de/

They were also at Musikmesse and their modules sound very nice. The guy I spoke to (Daniel) was also very nice and interested to get to know more potential users (and customers). They seem to have created something where they feel the clarity of sound justifies the price.

I told him about muffwiggler and it seems he hadn't heard of it yet. I guess he will pop up here soon then we can grill him about his thoughts and plans..!
OUT NOW: GRAT - CHAOSMAGIC. on CD (digifile) and download, three dark ambient tracks rooted in Magic Realism. CHECK IT OUT HERE

Buy it now: "Heart Murmur" 10" vinyl on Bandcamp (solo Buchla 200e, no overdubs, recorded live in Berlin) out now everywhere!

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:48 pm

misa wrote:German Synthesizer Magazin has an article on them:

http://www.synmag.de/
I'm not seeing the article online. Is there any contact information for them in it? Or do you (or anyone) happen to have their email address? I want to try out one of the EG's but am having a bit of trouble navigating the German pages. As far as I can tell the shopping cart shown online doesn't ship to the US, plus I'd like to inquire about lead times and all the details before payment anyway.

Cheers,
Brian

galaktyk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by galaktyk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 am

their circuits are optimized for best quality without disturbances from electricity. The switches and knobs are mounted directly to the pcbs to avoid electricity influences so they say their modules can create unique clear sounds. As well they want to create modules with the most flexibility and without cost limit of highend parts.

I think that's a little bit German Modcan if I could say that carafully. The price is for me fine, so if I order modcan from Canada their modules are more expensive for me with duty etc.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 am

bwhittington wrote:I'm not seeing the article online. Is there any contact information for them in it?
To my best knowledge the Syn.Mag. is not an online but print magazin.

AFAIK the Marienberg guys run the synthesizerarchiv. Follow the link below and right down at the left there's their email.
http://www.synthesizerarchiv.de/

Here's their list of modules again scroll down.
http://www.synthesizerarchiv.de/html/modular.html

Any info (lot's of it) is in German.

Return to “5U Format Modules”