MOTM 650

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

chaussette
Learning to Wiggle

MOTM 650

Post by chaussette » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:02 pm

lol can't use the search because low postcount (first time i see that one :P)
so sorry for that silly question :

i'm searching for infos concerning the MOTM650 i just received.
the pdf on MOTM is nice but things are missing.
+ some little question i have about bugs(?)
for exemple is it possible to transpose ? ok for tunning but transpose semi tones or octaves ?

other one : in 1/1/1/1 mode
if channel 1 is set to MIDI channel 1 and UNI mode
& channel 2 is set to midi channel 2 and UNI ROT mode

then GATE out of channel 1 is sending retrigger on legato just like the channel 2 regardless of the UNI mode that should only send 1 gate...

mmm not sure i'm so clear :P :hmm:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Why are you setting a Rotational Voice Allocation with only 1 voice per channel? YOu should be 'Solo' mode for each channel.

Are you sending on different MIDI channels? I'm not sure what the code will do if you have independent voices assigned to identical MIDI channels.

benst
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benst » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:59 pm

I can't remember seeing a transpose function on my MOTM-650. Don't think it's there. Can't you transpose on whatever keyboard/sequencer you're driving the 650 with?

Ben

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

MOTM 650

Post by sunsinger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:08 pm

I've ordered a 650 a few weeks ago, and I'm looking for anyone who's had experience with it to give some feedback. Like the post above. What bugs are you experiencing? or how cool it is? Please write anything you have on it.
Last edited by sunsinger on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Welcome new guys! :party: :party:

I have a MOTM-650 and love it! :love:

MOTM owners should sign up for the Yahoo MOTM group/list:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/motm/

Paul recently posted that there is going to be a beta test version of the MOTM-650 firmware in less than a month so I suspect that there will be a 'production' release before the end of the year.

Most of the bugs are relativey minor and you may only run into them when you are exploring what the module can do. (like having a parameter open for editing while you are playing your keyboard etc)

Here is one video I did where I had a nice 4 voice polyphonic string patch going thanks to the MOTM-650's capabilities:
[video][/video]

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

MOTM 650

Post by sunsinger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi John
Thanks for the nice welcome, the prompt reply, and the info on the 650. I have seen many of your viddies, and love what you are doing. The string patch made with the 650, and the music video is very nice work.

I am grateful to know that the 650 will handle four voice polyphony.

Do you think it will handle using the 2 onboard arpeggios and accept 2 additional arpeggios sent from other sources, and allow me a way to lock/clock everything together?

I just got off of the phone with Paul and he confirms the firmware beta, he also confirms mailing my 650 and some other modules by Monday. Yippie!!! :bananaguitar:

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

MOTM 650

Post by sunsinger » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:58 am

The 650 came on Monday, along with a 440 Filter, and 320 & 390 LFOs that I ordered. Paul filled this order in a fairly quick timeframe, considering that he assembles each module by hand. I was impressed. :yay:

I installed everything... very cool. It took me about 4 hours to learn the 650 interface pretty well, so I can navigate around it fairly easily now.

It seems rock solid, and Paul says that I can ship the Module back when the software update is ready for a quick update and turnaround.

The LFO's are smokin, and the 440 filter is the best filter I've heard outside of the Serge Q Filter.

I hope that he will come out with the 600 soon. It looks like a sequencer module that I could get pretty jazzed about.

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Post by doctorvague » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey Ron, greetings from Silver City!
I have a 650 and a 440 in a mostly dotcom system and agree.
The 440 has been my favorite filter for quite a while now. Just got a Korg MS-20 recently though so.... well different beasts entirely but both yummy delicious.
Enjoy!!

afterthought - my vids use the 650 (and 440) but I'm embarrassed to say I accidentally had left the 650 arpeggiators on from an earlier patch without realizing it on both videos. I was wondering where Numerology's 16th notes were going but the arps were swallowing them up so to speak.
yeah I know :doh:

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

MOTM 650

Post by sunsinger » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks Doc
Ahhh! You are using Numerology!!! One of my favorite programs. :yay:

The 650 gives you pretty good access to Numerology by using the four voice grouping, that's one of the reasons I got it.

Where are links to these videos of yours? I'd like to check em out. I'm really loving all of these Modular filter choices. I'd really like to have a couple of 440's but my next filter buy is going to be a MOTM 480 CS-80 filter.
And then a couple of STG things, like the Wavefolder.

I'd love to have a Serge filter panel though, because those filters are just monstrous. Just too expensive.

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Re: MOTM 650

Post by doctorvague » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:57 am

RonSunsinger wrote:
Where are links to these videos of yours? I'd like to check em out.
There's a link in my sig.

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Does 650 Midi Out work?

Post by sunsinger » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Midi Out on the 650 is broadcasting anything useful? Like note on & off, or note value, velocity, etc.?

I'm trying to get the midi out to record midi to Pro Tools Midi but no go!

JohnLRice

Re: Does 650 Midi Out work?

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 pm

RonSunsinger wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Midi Out on the 650 is broadcasting anything useful? Like note on & off, or note value, velocity, etc.?

I'm trying to get the midi out to record midi to Pro Tools Midi but no go!
According to the user guide:
http://www.synthtech.com/m650/m650guide.pdf

Note that all MOTM-650 changes/functions are transmitted via MIDI. This is useful in case a live performance is being done and a recording of all front panel changes are desired.

So I think it is just for recording patch/parameter changes so you can do parameter changes on the fly during playback etc.

I may be wrong, but i seem to remember it being mentioned that the module has MIDI THRU also but there was no room on the panel but if you really need it, it may be possible to attach a cable in behind etc. with a little DIY work. (or I could be imagining it . . . )

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am

Not imagined: there is a 3-pin header on the rear for a DIY'd MIDI THRU.

Paul S.

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Post by sunsinger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks Paul. I found it. I guess I'll have to find a place to mount it once it's soldered. Maybe the side of the cabinet.

But I was hoping for is a real Midi Out. I need the Port to broadcast information generated by the dual arpeggiators on the 650 (note values etc.).

With that I can sync other instruments to the midi recordings created by those arpeggiators. Then my additional music would sync to the modular. I don't need sync from a Thru instrument.

Is this what were talking about on the rear pin output?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:43 am

RonSunsinger wrote: But I was hoping for is a real Midi Out. I need the Port to broadcast information generated by the dual arpeggiators on the 650 (note values etc.).
That would be awesome but I bet we are out of luck. A lot ofMIDI keyboards etc don't transmit their arpegiations. :waah: My Roland S-10 which I used to use a lot has a great arpegiator in it but it didn't transmit it. Sad . . .

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Post by sunsinger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am

Yeah... My Andromeda doesn't output arpeggios or the sequencer. But most
Roland products do, so I'm a bit surprised there. My V-Synth outputs Arps beautifully as does my JP-8000.

Oh Well... Sigh...

Jim Gordon
Learning to Wiggle

I need to re-init MOTM-650

Post by Jim Gordon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm

My '650 was running GREAT. Then sometime ago I clobbered my '650 image file. On powerup the display reads "MOTM-650 V1.3". If I press ESC and INC while powering up it reads "FW Xfer Send img", so I assume that it wants a new image file.

In 2016 Paul S. sent some initialization files to me. Updater.zip gets a a file error. Windows 7.

I tried putting a cable&button on J2 as per Paul's post. It acts as though something right is happening when I press the button. Then back to "MOTM-650 V1.3". Nothing else.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Jim
Check out my website: www.jimsjazz.com thanks

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Send it back to him, have him fix it.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

eskimo99
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eskimo99 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:21 am