Hello Hordijk System

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Re: Hello Hordijk System

Post by 100000bps » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 am

Well, thank you for suggestions :)

Myy plan is really to replace benjolins and use 5U : OscSync/Rungler/TwinPeak & OscSync/Rungler/Shaper/FreqShift - as "much beefier" benjolins instead. Ideally i'd love to have Benjolin with clock in, the 5u rungler switch, the loop in and sine out but thats not happening so... beggars cant be choosers :)

I already have 6u 104 of eurorack that will do everything else. I love the formanty stuff from OscSync demos, and my use of benjolins is usually in similar sound venues.

Q: which type of PSU connectors should i choose? 12v or 15v?
Q2: anyone can give me W x H size of a panel?

Thats 126 hp MDLR case adapted to 5u... eurorack is already here, just switching 2 benjos for elements.

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:02 am

Quick question – something I've been wondering about since my system arrived. In addition to the node "pins"/banana convertors, Rob also sent two pairs of two different kinds of node connectors.
IMG_4991.JPG
The type on the bottom, from what I can gather, is the one mentioned in the node matrix manual: "You module comes with two black plugs with white coding rings. These two plugs have an attenuating resistor inside that will attenuate a synth level signal by roughly —16dB"

All good, and it appears to do just that. But what is the wholly metallic one for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:45 am

Corrupt wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:02 am
Quick question – something I've been wondering about since my system arrived. In addition to the node "pins"/banana convertors, Rob also sent two pairs of two different kinds of node connectors.

IMG_4991.JPG

The type on the bottom, from what I can gather, is the one mentioned in the node matrix manual: "You module comes with two black plugs with white coding rings. These two plugs have an attenuating resistor inside that will attenuate a synth level signal by roughly —16dB"

All good, and it appears to do just that. But what is the wholly metallic one for?
Yes the bottom one is for "line level" output. But I never saw the upper one. Really don't know what it is. Ask Rob. And please post the answer here :miley:
thehordijkmodular.blogspot.fr

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 am

100000bps wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 am
Well, thank you for suggestions :)

Myy plan is really to replace benjolins and use 5U : OscSync/Rungler/TwinPeak & OscSync/Rungler/Shaper/FreqShift - as "much beefier" benjolins instead. Ideally i'd love to have Benjolin with clock in, the 5u rungler switch, the loop in and sine out but thats not happening so... beggars cant be choosers :)

I already have 6u 104 of eurorack that will do everything else. I love the formanty stuff from OscSync demos, and my use of benjolins is usually in similar sound venues.

Q: which type of PSU connectors should i choose? 12v or 15v?
Q2: anyone can give me W x H size of a panel?

Thats 126 hp MDLR case adapted to 5u... eurorack is already here, just switching 2 benjos for elements.
I would keep the Benjolins. Benjolins, Blippoo Box and Rungler module are different flavors. Even if they shared the same spirit, the circuits differ at some level. One cannot replace the others.
You can already lock the Rungler in the Benjolin with the switch. You have Tri Out instead of Sine Out which is also cool. You can also mod the Benjolins like Casper Electronics did.

Rob is using Meanwell PSU. I don't remember which one. If you order panels you can also order the PSU which I highly recommend. About size, a triple panel is around 325x222mm.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but I don't think you can order exactly the module combination shown above from Rob with one of his cases. You'll need a Node Processor with the power inlet. As far as I'm aware Rob only sells full systems to new customers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Last time I asked that is what he said but maybe he changed his mind.

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am

Neovintage wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:45 am
Yes the bottom one is for "line level" output. But I never saw the upper one. Really don't know what it is. Ask Rob. And please post the answer here :miley:
Eureka. Reply from Rob:

"In principle all connectors are DC-coupled, meaning that audio and LFO signals that swing around ground can be freely mixed with CV signals that may be at a constant positive or negative voltage. Th golden plugs have a capacitor inside, which does pass audio signals but block any constant positive or negative CV voltage (=the DC-part of a signal). This may sometimes be of interest.

You can check the difference by feeding a LFO pulse into the A or B audio input of the Twinpeak filter, set at a high resonance. If you couple it directly you hear that there is a slight 'dunk' in the pitch, like if the filter was modulated slightly by a short-decay envelope. But if you route that LFO pulse through the matrix using a golden plug before going into the filter you hear that the 'dunk' has gone and the pitch seems steady. Btw, myself I like the 'dunk', its more organic.

Another use is if you feed that same LFO pulse through a golden plug to a ringmodulator, e.g. to the mod input of a bipolar VCA or the mod input of the RM/VCA in the Waveshaper or Fader in RM mode. It is now only the flanks of the pulse that shortly open the RM and you get a rhythmic effect.

A third use is when you connect a signal from the outside world that comes from e.g. a device powered by only five volts e.g. USB powered). Some of these devices have the output swing around +2.5V instead of around ground, and then you can remove that +2.5V component in the signal with a golden plug before further processsing. This was actually the main reason why I added this plug, as some system owners badly needed this."

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am

Well, at least from my short exchange of emails with Rob it seems he does single triple panels...

Anyone can tell me please whats the depth of case/tripple panel ? Planning a portable case, need some dimensions.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:52 pm

FYI - if anyone is in the Phoenix area, I will be at the Phoenix Synth Festival on Feb 8th, and giving a demo of my Hordijk system and some other goodies. (Steve Roach will be doing a show there the night before, too.)

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 am

For those who might be interested, a guy in Belgium is selling an "old" system. Nice second hand price.
3500 euros without shipping. No trades.

Follow the link

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Just saw that Dan is also selling hissystem

That's sad. He made some great videos but the ad is the best ever :miley:

croute
Common Wiggler

Post by croute » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Off Topic
For those who might be interested, a guy in Belgium is selling an "old" system. Nice second hand price.
Do you know this guy?i notice a bad advice on the website.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:08 pm

croute wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm
Off Topic
I don't know him. But he also posted the ad in a French website (Audiofanzine). I asked him about something and he answered to me quickly.
Can't help much.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

croute wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm
Off Topic
Désolé compatriote, j'avais pas vu d'où tu venais :miley:
Prends contact si tu le souhaites, ca coûte rien. :despair:

croute
Common Wiggler

Post by croute » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm

"Désolé compatriote, j'avais pas vu d'où tu venais :miley:
Prends contact si tu le souhaites, ca coûte rien. :despair:"

Pas de quoi :guinness:
Malheureusement pour un achat,j'ai bien cassé ma tirelire dans du 5 U ces 3 derniers mois;le prix et l'état semble correcte pusi il a une bonne cote sur Audio c'est plus rassurant.
Un jour je franchirais le pas sur du Hordjik même si ça me parait totalement ésotérique,j'adore le son et ce qui en sort mais ne comprends pas grand chose :lol:

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:06 am

croute wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm
"Désolé compatriote, j'avais pas vu d'où tu venais :miley:
Prends contact si tu le souhaites, ca coûte rien. :despair:"

Pas de quoi :guinness:
Malheureusement pour un achat,j'ai bien cassé ma tirelire dans du 5 U ces 3 derniers mois;le prix et l'état semble correcte pusi il a une bonne cote sur Audio c'est plus rassurant.
Un jour je franchirais le pas sur du Hordjik même si ça me parait totalement ésotérique,j'adore le son et ce qui en sort mais ne comprends pas grand chose :lol:
J'ai essayé le Moslab l'an dernier. Au final, les EG de Rob répondent mieux, les réponses en fréquences sont mieux adaptées. Et avec le 24dB, j'ai réussi à faire des tourner des séquences 95% identiques au 904-A. Cutoff à 11h et un poil de résonance. J'ai donc revendu le Moslab.
Le système de Rob permet de tout faire en fait.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks Neovintage, The Hordijk is now gone. I will miss it. Absolute beast of a modular. I was quite sad when it finally went but time to change things up a bit. I've had the system for longer than any other, except the Synthi which just outlasts it and the Korg MS-10 my Dad got me when I was a nipper (I could never sell that).

Thanks to everyone for sharing in this thread and to you Neo for your fab resource.

:guinness:
Neovintage wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

diophantine wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:52 pm
FYI - if anyone is in the Phoenix area, I will be at the Phoenix Synth Festival on Feb 8th, and giving a demo of my Hordijk system and some other goodies. (Steve Roach will be doing a show there the night before, too.)
Met you at the synth meet. Thanks for schlepping the Hordijk and your Synthacon DIY beast all the way out to the desert. And thanks for the demo!

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:32 pm

dan_p wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am
Thanks Neovintage, The Hordijk is now gone. I will miss it. Absolute beast of a modular. I was quite sad when it finally went but time to change things up a bit. I've had the system for longer than any other, except the Synthi which just outlasts it and the Korg MS-10 my Dad got me when I was a nipper (I could never sell that).

Thanks to everyone for sharing in this thread and to you Neo for your fab resource.

Neovintage wrote:

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:27 pm

gnome666 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am
diophantine wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:52 pm
Met you at the synth meet. Thanks for schlepping the Hordijk and your Synthacon DIY beast all the way out to the desert. And thanks for the demo!
Thanks for coming! It was fun to bring the systems out there. Sorry the Hordijk demo was fairly brief, but I wasn't quite sure how the presentation would go. I think it would be cool to do a more in-depth demo with a smaller & more advanced audience.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am

Neovintage wrote:

It ended up in good hands. We'll see about creating some new videos eventually. Lots to learn first.

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:00 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am
Neovintage wrote:

It ended up in good hands. We'll see about creating some new videos eventually. Lots to learn first.
Great. Have fun with it. :party:

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 am

Finally had more than a few minutes to sit down w. the Hordijk.
Here's a first tentative step w. it. I'm not as good at the bubbles and squeaks, so the Koma Komplex is there to provide some movement.

nidas
Common Wiggler

Post by nidas » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:17 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 am
Here's a first tentative step w. it. I'm not as good at the bubbles and squeaks, so the Koma Komplex is there to provide some movement.

Nice !

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:18 am

nidas wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:17 am
oldgearguy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 am
Nice !
Thanks. It's been different having full control over all the bits of a sound versus using standard monosynths. Still a lot to learn.
Started assembling another cabinet of various bits. A chunk of it is here. Your module was last reported to be in Chicago on March 12th. No updates since that point. I'm assuming that it'll just show up in the mailbox any day now.

Return to “5U Format Modules”