MU/Dotcom format VCO comparison?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

gregae
Common Wiggler

Post by gregae » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

alternating.bit wrote:
Henfield wrote:or take apart a Q141 Oscillator Aid to get the 6 way rotary switch with the correct connector, as Roger will not sell one to you.
I love the oscillator aid! Having that knob for wave selection is awesome :tu:
Ditto that! Makes wiggling a whole lot easier, IMHO! :tu:

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 pm

I have a couple of pairs of Q106's connected to a dual oscillator aid.

Panel is from re:Synthesis. I stole some parts from the Q141 and then soldered up a second rotary switch that I bought from Mouser.

VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Between VinceL and Henfield's efforts, there is probably a great 3U Dual Q106 panel with soft sync. And normaled linear FM crossmodulation. And ring mod. And . . .

Okay, make it 4U. 8-)

Attorks
Common Wiggler

Post by Attorks » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:59 am

I have now 4 different VCO makes in my Box11 cases. Three Q106 VCO's, a Hordijk OSC-HRM, a CorSynth C104 and recently a MOS-LAB KOBOL VCO. You can easily refit the PCB of the KOBOL VCO to go parallel with the panel so it will fit in the Box11 case. And yes, the choice of VCO for Box11 cases is limited. The OSC-HRM is great, wish I had 2 of them. Add an EG and you have a full voice. You don't need to filter it because you can control the harmonics. I use it a lot. The Q106's are also great, rocksolid tuning, would be my first choice. I have a love/hate relationship with the C104 because I keep tuning it. Thinking of selling it. I have the KOBOL VCO a week now but I like it a lot already. An octave switch and/or a fine tune knob would be a nice addition to make it better. The choice of VCO's is personal so what is good for me does not have to be good for someone else. It also depends on how you are going to use it. You have to experience it for yourself.

Squattamolie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Squattamolie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:43 am

Attorks wrote: I have a love/hate relationship with the C104 because I keep tuning it.
I bought one of the earliest ones, and there was an issue with it drifting a fair amount. Pablo not only took care of it, he treated me so well that I bought a second C104. Neither of them have drifting issues now, once they've warmed up (about 10 minutes or so). If you like it other than the drifting, it might be worth contacting Pablo about it.

Attorks
Common Wiggler

Post by Attorks » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Squattamolie wrote:
Attorks wrote: I have a love/hate relationship with the C104 because I keep tuning it.
I bought one of the earliest ones, and there was an issue with it drifting a fair amount. Pablo not only took care of it, he treated me so well that I bought a second C104. Neither of them have drifting issues now, once they've warmed up (about 10 minutes or so). If you like it other than the drifting, it might be worth contacting Pablo about it.
I did receive a new board last year. The warmup time is much better with the new board. I nevertheless sold it today.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Squattamolie wrote:I bought one of the earliest ones, and there was an issue with it drifting a fair amount.
When was that?
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

Thalassa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Thalassa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:41 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:
Squattamolie wrote:I bought one of the earliest ones, and there was an issue with it drifting a fair amount.
When was that?

It wasn't a general issue , it was an specific combination of modules and power that might cause interference with the C104. Only three persons until this day have had this problem , but still I designed a new component board that solves it. This new board is totally compatible with the old one so in case anyone with the old PCB find the same problem can be replaced with the new one, of course with no cost for him.

If I recall properly the new version is installed in all modules sold after August last year.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:02 am

I never noticed any drift but my ears didn't notice other things, too, so I was confused if I have the issue or not. Mine is from 2012 so definitely with the old board.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

analogjeff
Common Wiggler

Post by analogjeff » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:53 am

The new Corsynth oscillator is awesome.. I do also love the Q106 too...

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 am

Thalassa wrote:
GearMedia wrote:Bryan B: If you can confirm for me that the Corsynth VCO is indeed under 3" deep I'll be eternally grateful.
Hello GearMedia, all Corsynth modules have less than 2" deep as you can see in the photo.

They look and sound fantastic and why Im building a small 5U. They look like a joy to work with and the sound is exactly as ID expect...
look up!

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duluthdack » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:20 am

My work web-browser hates the Corsynth page... so my drooling remains on M-Wiggler. :bang:

Any good links to a C104 Audio demo? maybe even stacked up to another?

Thalassa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Thalassa » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:20 am

duluthdack wrote:My work web-browser hates the Corsynth page... so my drooling remains on M-Wiggler. :bang:

Which web-browser do you have at work? The web site works perfect with the main web-browsers ( IE, Firefox , Chrome and Safari ).

Here you have a soundcloud play list with audio demos :)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/4095763" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am

Check out the Corsynth YouTube channel too! :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/Corsynth

Tronman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tronman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 am

Just got my C104 yesterday, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. It's a great oscillator and it's built very sturdy. I'm surprised at how heavy it is. I kind of like having the large tuning knob. The graduation is accurate so it's easy to find octaves. It's a different animal than the Q106, but complements it well.
Streetly Electronics - the one and only authentic Mellotron company: http://www.mellotronics.com/

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duluthdack » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Thalassa wrote:
duluthdack wrote:My work web-browser hates the Corsynth page... so my drooling remains on M-Wiggler. :bang:

Which web-browser do you have at work? The web site works perfect with the main web-browsers ( IE, Firefox , Chrome and Safari ).

Here you have a soundcloud play list with audio demos :)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/4095763" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

no cookies at work on I.E. no downloads allowed and no streaming.... fml

But soundcloud works!!

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:53 am

I have 2 corsynth 104s.. the RM/DSC options take it to another place.. :)

Return to “5U Format Modules”