got a case of the blues

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

northerntao
Common Wiggler

got a case of the blues

Post by northerntao » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm

I've had a DRM2 for the past year, and I've been really impressed, not just with the sound and capabilities, but the aesthetic and design choices. It"s such a capable little box of tricks, not just a drum synth, and I still wrench something new out of it every time I turn it on. So I decided to throw in for a modular system.

After a bit of back and forth with Tom, this is what we came up with. The blanks are where an Orgone Accumulator will live, which is already in hand - how it got to me so quickly (along with a Radio Music) from France, to the ass end of the United States, in the time of Covid, I don't know but thanks Robert!
IMG_4765.jpg
I have a fairly large Eurorack system, spanning a few cases, with modules from many vendors. It started out with a Drone Commander several years ago, and has kind of grown out of control without a lot of planning on my part - I may do some paring back. While I wasn't terribly keen on getting into another format, I've been suitably impressed with what I've read and seen here. I like the idea of having a system from one source (the odd Scrotum aside, lol) for a number of reasons, with modules that were meant to work together in a smaller ecosystem.

I plan on picking up another Low Gain box to hook up to this frame, so I can interface my other gear it with this box of tricks.. With the Orgone feeding some randomizations into the quantizer and DDSR, I imagine I can create some fun and interesting generative stuff without anything else, though I have external sequencers to use.

So hopefully, the Covid gods and courier willing, I should have this within a few weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: got a case of the blues

Post by batchas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:35 am

This and the DRM2 = excellent! So much to explore...

I'm curious about the "the Orgone feeding some randomizations into the quantizer and DDSR" you have in mind and impatient to discover :sb:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 am

Looks like a fun 2F system with some room to expand (although the orgone will fill that space quickly, but excitingly I am sure)... I got into the Bugbrand world the opposite way - went for a 2F and then only more recently got a DRM2, but I also agree that with the DRM2 "I still wrench something new out of it every time I turn it on" (well put!) - though I feel the same way about the 2F as well - I had almost no experience with modular before so you are coming with a lot more experience than I had (and still have most likely) :party:

Hope the courier-gods have pity on you and the postal service here lands that safely on your side :tu:

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:50 am

batchas wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:35 am
This and the DRM2 = excellent! So much to explore...

I'm curious about the "the Orgone feeding some randomizations into the quantizer and DDSR" you have in mind and impatient to discover :sb:
My initial thoughts were just to feed some noise from the Orgone into the quantizer to see what happens, as there isn't a noise source in the current Bug modules. But there are all sorts of waves in the Orgone to wreck havoc, some more musical than others! I'm not sure how successful it will be to feed a bipolar wave into the quantizer, but we'll see.

I've used a digital shift register (the one in Ornament and Crime), and I've watched the video on the DDSR and read the manual, but I'm still a little confused to how it works. But that is part of the charm, as most of the SynthVoice, and my additions, seem pretty straightforward. Once it gets here, and I play around with it for awhile, it will come to me. I think it will feed the Orgone, more than the Orgone feeding it, but we'll see!

I saw a video where you had modded the PWM output of the Orgone to output more than a pulse wave. Is that something that is in the firmware of the one you sent me?

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:57 am

hollunderkurve wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 am
Looks like a fun 2F system with some room to expand (although the orgone will fill that space quickly, but excitingly I am sure)... I got into the Bugbrand world the opposite way - went for a 2F and then only more recently got a DRM2, but I also agree that with the DRM2 "I still wrench something new out of it every time I turn it on" (well put!) - though I feel the same way about the 2F as well - I had almost no experience with modular before so you are coming with a lot more experience than I had (and still have most likely) :party:

Hope the courier-gods have pity on you and the postal service here lands that safely on your side :tu:
Haha, it doesn't seem very long ago when I was struggling to understand the concept of an envelope! I've played guitar for 30 years, somewhat feebly, and have played in live bands off and on as a hobby. I've always been a fan of electronic music and synthesizers, but didn't buy my first synth until I was in my late 30s, the Monotribe. Now I'm pushing 50, and have been able to afford some nice gear. I'm still learning everyday - I haven't posted a lot on MW, but I've been lurking and reading and learning - I only just surpassed Learning to Wiggle after 5 years! I have more fun and make more of a racket than anything.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 pm

northerntao wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:50 am
batchas wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:35 am
My initial thoughts were just to feed some noise from the Orgone into the quantizer to see what happens, as there isn't a noise source in the current Bug modules.
Oh I see :tu: :tu: :tu:
northerntao wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:50 am
I saw a video where you had modded the PWM output of the Orgone to output more than a pulse wave. Is that something that is in the firmware of the one you sent me?
I'm afraid not. I abandonned the idea because the signal was way too hot if I remember well (the circuit not being done for that without modification).

I was starting too many different things at once, not finishing any, with new ideas always coming up, but I'll have a check asap to be sure this modificaton in code for the PWM output is not good.

And now I try to concentrate on one project, cause I really have to finalize it and it seems to neverend...
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm

That's a nice selection in two frames there.
I've personally found two frames of Bugbrand (with a slight extension of PT Delay and XO Filter affixed to one end) just in the goldilocks zone for me in terms of range of possibilities vs enforced limitations - despite all the cool modules Tom has recently put out or is potentially working on, I don't think I'd want to extend any further, rather occasionally swap one thing out for another. Just all works really well together in a modest space.

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 pm

DickMarker wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm
I've personally found two frames of Bugbrand (with a slight extension of PT Delay and XO Filter affixed to one end) just in the goldilocks zone for me in terms of range of possibilities vs enforced limitations - despite all the cool modules Tom has recently put out or is potentially working on, I don't think I'd want to extend any further, rather occasionally swap one thing out for another. Just all works really well together in a modest space.
I hear you - with my Eurorack stuff, I started with an 84HP case, thinking it was I would want, and I’ve let it creep way beyond that, though a good portion is a video modular system.

Technically, I’ve already outgrown the 2Frame, because I snagged a Scrotum Labs Radio Music as well while it was still available. I had actually passed on the PT Delay module at first, as I have a lot of delays already in various formats.

I have the Stereo Compress as well, which really is a bit of fairy dust on the mixer bus, even without much compression and a bit of the EQ. I think the CoFilter will be more useful with the expander.

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 am

northerntao wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 pm
DickMarker wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm
I hear you - with my Eurorack stuff, I started with an 84HP case, thinking it was I would want, and I’ve let it creep way beyond that, though a good portion is a video modular system.

Technically, I’ve already outgrown the 2Frame, because I snagged a Scrotum Labs Radio Music as well while it was still available. I had actually passed on the PT Delay module at first, as I have a lot of delays already in various formats.

I have the Stereo Compress as well, which really is a bit of fairy dust on the mixer bus, even without much compression and a bit of the EQ. I think the CoFilter will be more useful with the expander.
The Radio Music is great, a really cool addition to Tom's modules - really grateful to Robert for adapting it to BB format.

I've been using the XO filter almost exclusively as an output to mixer module - the way you can use it to pan a sound or create a sense of width or depth by modulating or manually changing the two frequency bands coupled with the three outputs is such a cool feature - it's become quite standard technique for me now!

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm

And it’s here! Made it from Bristol to Alaska (yes, that’s where I live and work at a busy cargo airport) in 2 days! Had to wait over the weekend for UPS to unpack it, but now it’s in my hands!

Very compact - I was expecting it to be bigger! So much in such a small package. Unfortunately, I’m on call this week, so I probably won’t get much chance to delve into it until Fri.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”