Jack-banana adapters for blue+red Bugs

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Jack-banana adapters for blue+red Bugs

Post by otoskope » Sun May 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Since I've accumulated a bunch of red (or orange!) Bugs, and have a blue Bugbrand modular, I needed a way to interconnect the two. I'm not going into the old debate about why the Bugmeister put jacks on ins and outs... Just accepting the hard facts of life.
So I made a bunch of jack-banana adapters, and it turned out to be both simple and cheap. I know somebody offered such diy adapters somewhere on Muffs about a year ago or so, but I never got around buying any.

Here's how to make them:

I used this kind of cheap 6.3mm jacks (actually I had two similar brands, but the process was quite similar):

Then I cut off the rear end and used a reamer to make the hole the right size for my banana jack's outer plastic part. I used the same banana jacks as Tom uses in the bugs. I also cut the sleeve connector on the 6.3mm jack. Here are all the parts of one adapter, in the sequence they are mounted:

One tricky part is to twist the cable counterclockwise before screwing the metal part of the 6.3mm jack into the plastic part, to avoid twisting apart the solder joints. I actually twisted it as the second-to-last step, but I show it twisted in the above pic as an illustration of how it looks inside.

Another tricky thing is to fasten the nut when it is deep inside the plastic part of the jack. I put a small screwdriver between the rim and the nut to block its rotation and twisted the red outermost part of the banana jack to tighten it.

I made 12. The whole process took a couple of hours. Here they are, finished, in all their glory:

Remains to see if I encounter any line-to-modular level problems when patching. We'll see.
Also - using these adapters rely on proper co-grounding, since the ground part of the jacks are not connected. For me, they are grounded through the power supplies - my red bugs are in modular frames. If you have standalones, you need to connect the grounds, of course.

Not exactly rocket science, but it may be useful to somebody.

/Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sun May 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Nice work Palle,

I'd be interested how the levels between the connections work.

Keep us posted.

David
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Sun May 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Some quick tests show that there are some small differences, but it is certainly workable. No problem bringing jack signals into the banana mixers together with plain blue oscillators - only a small difference in gain is needed to make them equal. Also, most of the inputs on the reds have a drive knob, so they can be adjusted. PEQ take modular signals in it seems. I could FM a blue oscillator from the reverb output - but needed to crank up the FM amount to max. Etc... things can be done!
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Mon May 11, 2015 4:20 am

Thanks Palle, I think I'll make some up myself.

(Y)
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 am

Years later, but still much appreciated information/tutorial!
Thank you :tu:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pm

just in case anyone is thinking of making some more of these, I would be grateful to buy a handful from you :guinness:

would also extend the offer if I make them but likely won't get around to it for a while..

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:28 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:just in case anyone is thinking of making some more of these, I would be grateful to buy a handful from you :guinness:

would also extend the offer if I make them but likely won't get around to it for a while..
I’m actually in the process of making a few of these. Might have some spare ones when I’m finished. You can have them for free, but you’ll have to pay postage fees. I’ll let you know when I’m done how many spare ones I’ve got :tu:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:28 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:just in case anyone is thinking of making some more of these, I would be grateful to buy a handful from you :guinness:

These are the spare I’ve got after soldering this morning. If you want them please let me know:-)

castano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by castano » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks for the info, does anyone know where you can order the banana tips?

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:47 pm

many thanks T.Jervell. Sending you a pm. :tu:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:44 am

castano wrote:Thanks for the info, does anyone know where you can order the banana tips?
Ordered mine on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3085048379
Probably not the best quality, but they did the job :tu:

Return to “BugBrand Devices”