DDSR

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 am

syncretism wrote:Email Tom, if you haven't - he's always been accessible and responds quickly, in my experience. Welcome to MW, milak9!
+1 always a joy! Also subscribe to Tom’s mailing list for (monthly?) up to date information on stock, new stuff etc. :tu:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 am

milak9 wrote:Hi, first time posting on muff so hope this is ok to ask here. I was just wondering if these will be back in stock anywhere sometime soon? As a system or solo. Thanks!
Yes, email me to discuss - just making more at the moment as it happens, but I've typically had stock built & ready for most modules the last few months.
The old/current website is clearly in need of an update to make things clearer! New website coming soon - but I will probably continue to keep the modular stuff as email order only because we invariably have to discuss various bits & pieces.
I will be able to make up systems around SynthVoice and/or DDSR in the next 2 weeks - just waiting to calibrate new run of CVCOs.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:24 pm

BugBrand wrote:
milak9 wrote:I've typically had stock built & ready for most modules the last few months.
:hail: Something to be thankful for!

While I'm here, a brief update relevant to both Chirper and DDSR. As of yesterday my portable setup has 20fu right in the center. Chirpers up front. The one on the right gets a COF and a PT Delay. The one on the left gets a DDSR(!) and has a tap tempo delay pedal and some reverb.

The DDSR is clocked by the Chirper oscillators. Two steppy D/A voltages from the DDSR are mixed with external CVs and then modulate the Chirper. One mix to filter and the other to osc2. And one of those D/As goes directly to CV osc1. The two other D/A outputs are sent to the opposite register's data input. Exact details don't matter much - still experimenting.

If there are no bits in the shift registers yet they have no affect on the Chirper and it just plays normally. Once you poke a button into into one of the registers it goes to work.

Brief demo. Up to about 40 seconds the shift registers are empty and you're just hearing the cross synced oscillators as I twirl knobs. Syncing is optional but it's livelier that way. Past 40 seconds the shift registers are adding there influence and you notice the addition of short repeating patterns.

LISTEN
Actually, I should have demoed that if you leave off the CVs you will get lots of useful repeating beats. Twirl knobs until you find one you like.

The sweet spots are when the oscillators are at similar rates and I think I prefer the slower sections. Feeding osc2 with a mix of DDSR D/A and LFO allows the patterns to mutate in interesting ways. That's when a tap tempo delay comes in handy.

Additional sounds:
Demo #2
Demo #3
Demo #4 In addition to the DDSR and Chirper there is a SEQ2A instead of the DC mixer. And there are lots of creatures!
Demo #5:banana:
By the time we get to #5 I have a pretty good uncomplicated setup.
One Chirper is quietly droning. The other Chirper is plinky melodic percussion with occasional forays into other realms. That one has the DDSR connected, one shift register for CV of filter and one for oscillator 2. At first there are no bits in the DDSR. Their patterns don't show until after a couple minutes of freeform playing. I'm really enjoying the contrast these geometric DDSR patterns provide.
Last edited by BananaPlug on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Exquisite as ususal :tu: :banana:

milak9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by milak9 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm

BugBrand wrote: I've typically had stock built & ready for most modules the last few months.
Great news! :banana:
T. Jervell wrote:
syncretism wrote:Email Tom, if you haven't - he's always been accessible and responds quickly, in my experience. Welcome to MW, milak9!
+1 always a joy! Also subscribe to Tom’s mailing list for (monthly?) up to date information on stock, new stuff etc. :tu:
Thanks for the welcome and responses! :) I'll email soon and for sure subscribe

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Re: DDSR

Post by gnome666 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Hoping to get some ideas from y’all in how your using the DDSR. I’ve watched Tom’s video, and read a bit about it, but I don’t really seem to grasp what’s going on. For instance, I don’t really know what to expect when I switch between hi lo and ext states on the data input etc, and similarly sometime the recirc switch when set will stop the cycling behavior. Also, sometimes when I have a cycling pattern and a change the tap points, the cycling pattern will stop (I’m assuming because I tapped a step with a 0 bit?)

I embrace that part of the charm of the module is the inherent unpredictability, just hoping for some insight so that I feel like I’m doing more than just randomly flipping switches and pushing the data jam buttons (though doing that is fun!)

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 pm

I guess you read the instruction pdf?
https://bugbrand.co.uk/docs/DDSR_Instructs_Jul18.pdf
It is quite a hard one to describe without being quite technical!

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:16 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 pm
I guess you read the instruction pdf?
https://bugbrand.co.uk/docs/DDSR_Instructs_Jul18.pdf
It is quite a hard one to describe without being quite technical!
will revisit :) funny how quickly one forgets to (re)-RTFM :lol:

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm

in reading over things, it occured to me, is the DDSR "similar" to the Serge gated comparator? At least conceptually it seems so. Though I can't claim that I totally understand how the gated comparator works either :hmm:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:35 pm

gnome666 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm
in reading over things, it occured to me, is the DDSR "similar" to the Serge gated comparator? At least conceptually it seems so. Though I can't claim that I totally understand how the gated comparator works either :hmm:
Reading the synthwiki of the CGS Gated Comparator, I seems similar in core bar the XOR on the DDSR, though of course implementation is completely different.

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:46 pm

for those interested, user flx has a very nicely diagramed breakdown of the concept behind the gated comparator. Although the DDSR is different, I'm a visual learner kinda guy, so reading the explanation I feel is bringing me closer to getting the most out of the DDSR :yay:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=209972

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:50 am

gnome666 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm
in reading over things, it occured to me, is the DDSR "similar" to the Serge gated comparator?

The Gated Comparator is a Ken Stone (of CGS fame) design.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 am

The core is the "conveyor belt" metaphor Tom uses to explain it. Bits moving along the moving belt, snapshots of them made into stepped voltages. That much resembles the gated comparator. What's different is the logic and switching around that conveyor belt. The thing about the DDSR that I find both magical and vexing is that a step by step understanding of how the thing works, instructive as that may be, only helps so much when you run it in a patch. There are more little transactions going on than you can follow in you head. That keeps it interesting.

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hollunderkurve » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:21 am

anyone ever use two DDSR's together in a Bug-set up? Random question I guess, but after having been messing around with the DDSR in many different ways and seeing how versatile it is at audio rates and as a kind of "controller" it just got my mind roaming about what one could do with two - patched with one another, and/or mixed within a larger patch

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 am

I have a tendency of getting two of most things, as I see it as giving x^2 instead of 2*x. But the DDSR I don't have two of. Seems like a very powerful thing to try. I have done DDSR+Chirper in various cross-modulation setups, which also is a great combination (I have them in the same frame).
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Here's a haunting little tune which gets most of its DNA from Chirper, DDSR, Grilles.
Listen

Those three, along with simpler cyclic modulation sources, are collaboratively creating the rhythm and melody.
Personally one DDSR is about right for me (I mean it's already a dual) but I fully support the idea!
:nana:
Last edited by BananaPlug on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:20 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Here's a haunting little tune which gets most of its DNA from Chirper, DDSR, Grilles.
Listen
Awesome!
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

hollunderkurve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hollunderkurve » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Listen
nice! thanks for the tune ;)

DickMarker
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DickMarker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:55 pm

hollunderkurve wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:21 am
anyone ever use two DDSR's together in a Bug-set up? Random question I guess, but after having been messing around with the DDSR in many different ways and seeing how versatile it is at audio rates and as a kind of "controller" it just got my mind roaming about what one could do with two - patched with one another, and/or mixed within a larger patch
I haven't but could absolutely see myself making use of two of them in even my quite modest set up. So many handy applications in that module, and it really acts as sort of meta-controller in a lot of my patches.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 am

I have two in my studio system but that tends towards several voices - I'd think one per regular system is ample.. but... possibilities are open!

Return to “BugBrand Devices”