Chirper!

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 pm

^ Nice! I still need to try that earlier idea you showed about Chirper driving the DDSR.

Meanwhile, here's a slightly augmented Chirper.

LISTEN Shrill sounds from 1:35 to 2:00, watch your level.

This is one Chirper with DD1, SYN2B, PRC1, VERB
Chirper out and the sine get ring modded and fed to the DD1's LPG which gets triggered by a cap from Chirper's OSC1.

You get the idea. A little retuning takes it into other realms. Lots of fun interactions and surprising finds.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 am

BananaPlug wrote:^ Nice! I still need to try that earlier idea you showed about Chirper driving the DDSR.

Meanwhile, here's a slightly augmented Chirper.

LISTEN Shrill sounds from 1:35 to 2:00, watch your level.

This is one Chirper with DD1, SYN2B, PRC1, VERB
Chirper out and the sine get ring modded and fed to the DD1's LPG which gets triggered by a cap from Chirper's OSC1.

You get the idea. A little retuning takes it into other realms. Lots of fun interactions and surprising finds.
Wow!! Sounds great :love:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 am

Hah! This was fun! Got a Landscape HC-TT the other day. Tried it with some of my bugs today. So much fun!!
Chirper to HC-TT input, HC-TT output to COFilter. The tape is an audiobook. HC-TT is outputing CV and gate signals based both on what’s on the tape and what’s coming into the input (Chirper). The CV was initially sent to the DDSR data in (and the recycled), and the Gate out to the clock in on the DDSR.

[video][/video]

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:59 am

I always wondered about those hand cranked cassette devices. Show us more when you get a chance.
HC-TT is outputing CV and gate signals based both on what’s on the tape and what’s coming into the input (Chirper).
What's the CV/Gate stuff? Is there an envelope follower or something? Is it just amplified tape audio?

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:35 am

nice!! is that the newer version? i didn't realize it sent out cv/gate signals
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Shred: yes it is the new one.
BananaPlug: I guess the CV out is a sort of envelope follower. But I guess not the most «precice» + seems to be a pretty steep decay. Gates are provided when the audio reaches a given threshold (I guess), which fires a gate/square signal. The two outputs seems to be related, so as far as I know when the gate is activated the follower is also «triggered». It is possible to do some rudimentary tweaks to the response via the «tone» control.
Anyway, tons of fun, and it is very nice to use it as a sort of sequencer/controller :tu:

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:04 am

Just a quick Saturday morning live improvisation. Mostly Chirper.
LISTEN
Watch your levels, the feedback got away from me. :eek:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 am

As usual, very very nice BananaPlug!! :nana:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm

T. Jervell wrote:As usual, very very nice BananaPlug!! :nana:
+1

Always a pleasure to listen to your impros.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:40 am

Been messing with a passive ringmod I’d forgotten I had. Found it a couple of days ago. Quite fun to take the direct outs from the two Chirper osc’s through the ringmod then to the LPG->Spring Tanker. Also osc 1 into osc2’s sync. Then two channels of the DDSR into X and Y axis on the Joy/Touch, outs to osc 1 and 2. Also the main out of the Chirper is run through dual VCA-> COF. Manual gates from Joy/T drives DDSR, LPF and envelopes. Also pressure out from the joystick is modulating the COF.
A lot of fun to be had, but it’s hard to hold the camera and operate the Joystick......
[video][/video]

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:17 am

I like that you clock the DDSR manually. Somehow I never thought of that!

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Very nice!
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:21 am

Thanks! Yeah manually clocking the DDSR is nice! I often do this with my other sequencers as well. Gives a nice «human» touch...haha

Also ring mods, I’m currently very much into investigating the world of ring modulators. I’m hoping we’ll see a blue one in the not too distant future, but anyone here got any favorites?

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Can someone point me to a good method to VCA/gate the output of the chirper to where I can play notes/CV from the OP-Z (with op lab module) with silence on key release? I need to break up the output to play a more traditional patch in addition to letting it groan, chirp, squeal. Thx!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Yeah, I started designing a complimentary Env-Amp to go with it, but booped the proto-board design and it has been stuck in the doldrums ever since.. I must rekindle because, yes, Chirpers would often benefit from gating.

My LPG module equally would be a nice simple solution (apart from casing..)

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm

To get audio into the filter, would the Dual Preamp module with a single wired connection (+ resistor) from Preamp's output banana terminal be the way to go? That would be very nice to have, alongside the Env-Amp.

I really enjoy using the DRM2 in this way... would be cool to have it in Chirper form w/ the x-mod and different filter control.

BTW is the filter design similar between the two (Chirper / DRM2)? Other than how it switches between HP/LP.

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:32 pm

PLNB wrote:Can someone point me to a good method to VCA/gate the output of the chirper to where I can play notes/CV from the OP-Z (with op lab module) with silence on key release? I need to break up the output to play a more traditional patch in addition to letting it groan, chirp, squeal. Thx!
You can use filters as rudimentary VCAs in some circumstances - it might not work ideally in your situation but I've used the Chirper's filter in LP setting with a suitable cv to the filter's ext in to essentially gate the audio passing through. It's a bit of a kludgey method though, not perfect by any means.

Ps Love the idea of a Chirper-specific env/amp Tom.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:To get audio into the filter, would the Dual Preamp module with a single wired connection (+ resistor) from Preamp's output banana terminal be the way to go? That would be very nice to have, alongside the Env-Amp.

I really enjoy using the DRM2 in this way... would be cool to have it in Chirper form w/ the x-mod and different filter control.

BTW is the filter design similar between the two (Chirper / DRM2)? Other than how it switches between HP/LP.
Yes, there's a spot for an input resistor for filter input - it expects a signal +/-5V ie to match the oscillator amplitudes so, yes, the Dual Pre would be ideal for amping external signals up to this.

Yes the filters are all pretty similar on most of my devices to be honest!

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 am

All this talk has me looking at putting together a 1FW Chirper Expander again... potentially dumb question, as I have not had any coffee yet, but what's the difference between:

• FXCV – Filter modulation input.
• O1CV – Osc 1 modulation input.
• O1CV1 (should read O2CV) – Osc 2 modulation input.

And the respective modulation inputs (with attenuators) on the front panel? I'm sure I'm overlooking something blindingly obvious but - again - no coffee...

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:15 am

Does the block diagram on this thread's first post explain it enough? Granted I haven't tried to locate any of these nodes on the pcb and maybe that's what you're thinking.

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 am

Yeah, I'm just thinking that if the mod inputs on the test points are the same as the ones on the front panel (minus the attenuators, obviously) then that would save me the headache / heart attack of more SMD soldering... :lol:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah they are unattenuated V/Oct inputs

On the expander I built I left those out and just took the raw oscillator outs and made a filter audio input.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks, Chris! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure... :cloud:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes, they're extra v/oct inputs to the summing nodes.
I don't know why I didn't just put the resistors on as standard - it would have added about 5p.. Now you have to do the soldering yourself of them - sorry!

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 am

SMD soldering is definitely more "heart attack" than headache... I just have to keep telling myself to slow down and it's fine.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”