Chirper!

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 am

BugBrand wrote: not 1/8" (they're not)
I've been saying it wrong for so long!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 am

BugBrand wrote:Yes, Rowsbywoof got it - though a couple of tech terms I'd refer differently to: Minijack (or 3.5mm) not 1/8" (they're not) --- and call it establishing a common 0V between equipment rather than grounding.

I do do Interface Cables but equally easy to DIY. Personally I've always been happy with cables rather than converter boxes/modules, but that's maybe just me.

The key is to establish a common 0V between the external gear (eg. Engine) and the Bug. Do this with the black cable of the twin interface cable - this goes from minijack sleeve and plugs to the black 0V banana on the back of the Bug. Once that 0V link has been established you can do further signal connections just with single cables (from the same piece of equipment).

(Oh yeah, and just re-checked and it is at least mentioned on the instruction sheet!)
We Americans love our imperial measurements, even if they're wrong ;) Haha, and we're usually wrong.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 pm

BugBrand wrote:(Oh yeah, and just re-checked and it is at least mentioned on the instruction sheet!)
Thanks Tom, yes you did include this info in the instructions but I'm an absolute beginner with banana plugs so I needed a bit more confirmation to be confident. I'm sure 99% of your customers wouldn't need to ask this question, but it's great to have a place like muffs where I can do so without feeling stupid and also getting clear answers from experienced users, even directly from creators like yourself!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:12 am

bmot wrote:
BugBrand wrote:(Oh yeah, and just re-checked and it is at least mentioned on the instruction sheet!)
Thanks Tom, yes you did include this info in the instructions but I'm an absolute beginner with banana plugs so I needed a bit more confirmation to be confident. I'm sure 99% of your customers wouldn't need to ask this question, but it's great to have a place like muffs where I can do so without feeling stupid and also getting clear answers from experienced users, even directly from creators like yourself!
It is very much a repeating question - seems so complex..
Always happy to answer!

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Made a few cables today with the help of the advice here and happy to say it’s all working perfectly and sounding pretty amazing. Sequencing is working and this instrument is proper roast beefy!

I’ve just discovered the joy of stacking bananas for my first time too.

I tried the screw in bananas first but the contact seemed intermittent, so I went the soldered route instead. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or have other people had problems with the screw in plugs (the screw is supposed to hold down the cable contact to the banana plug)

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 am

bmot wrote:I tried the screw in bananas first but the contact seemed intermittent, so I went the soldered route instead. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or have other people had problems with the screw in plugs (the screw is supposed to hold down the cable contact to the banana plug)
If intermittent then the wire might be too thin I think.
Could also depend which banana you are using.
In my experience it might happen that a wire get loose, but it's rare.
Pers. I wrap the wire first (even only 1 turn) on the metal barrel.
Actually I do use jacks which don't even have a screw. They hold because there's a hole and a small slot nearby where it's possible to wrap the wire befroe it enters the hole. And then there's as well the form of the plastic around which hold the cable. I mean the cable goes out vertically, the wire is wrapped horizontally on the barrel. So it holds pretty well. And I pull the banana by holding the jack, other way I think it would not hold so well as I describe it.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:27 am

bmot wrote:I’ve just discovered the joy of stacking bananas for my first time too.
You have finally arrived! There's no way back now!

Regarding making cables - yeah a lot depends on which plugs you use. I tried a few and only really liked the old Rapid ones as shown in the Oops My Banana sticky thread. As with many things, try a few and find what works for you - but I was always very happy with those particular screw ones.

hank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hank » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am

My 6 year old nephew loved "making space noises" (his words) on my Chirper when I was babysitting last weekend. Kid tested, uncle approved!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:23 pm

So colourful and enticing too! It's a wicked synth, will probably expand mine in a rack but it's so fun standalone

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Chirper and PTDelay make a fantastic combo... I think I left this patch running for three or four days...

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:24 am

I like the camera work too. That bassy feedback growl of the PTDelay is one of many "signature sounds" coaxed out of the box. Very nice.

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:09 pm

nice one fever 606.

i'm new to bugbrand and have a chirper now. its so inspiring and so full of sweetspots, the range its capable of is sick. and the sound is so raw!
i think a little (cycling)envelope/vca/lpg red box would be really cool to accompany.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 am

Yes the Chirper is just a super versatile and nice instrument/module. I often find myself using one of the osc’s for clocking and modulation duties in big patches. Having the Chirpers osc’s wired internally to both my DDSR, and Quad Divider is really neat. Also I really like the tone of the oscillators, and the huge range from lfo to audio rate being sweapable and not requiring a switch. This and the fact that the interface is very well thought out, makes it a very, very playable instrument. The way I’ve been using it lately turns it into the beating heart of the patch AND it also opens up for quick changes in the patch and works great as a controller of sorts. Also slowly opening the attenuators and letting the two oscillators modulate each other (and the filter) when a patch/Sequence gets a bit tiresome/boring gives instant and WONDERFUL results!!

The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, and the possibility to use the filter to process external audio. But then again I always have some blue ones if I’m in need...

So yeah! A big fan of the Chirper here. I had NO idea that I would be sooo happy with it. I knew it would be fun, but now it’s one of the first modules I reach for when I fire up the system.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 am

T. Jervell wrote:..The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, ..
I did get a prototype design done, but once building discovered I'd managed to swap the position of two inter-board headers and that brought along lots of tricky gremlins which have not yet been dealt with.

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:29 am

Just got a chirper,now I am on a Bug trip now.....going to order the synth voice...
"Drowning...................not waving!"

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 am

BugBrand wrote:
T. Jervell wrote:..The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, ..
I did get a prototype design done, but once building discovered I'd managed to swap the position of two inter-board headers and that brought along lots of tricky gremlins which have not yet been dealt with.
Well I sure hope you’ll get around to investigate this further :tu:
If it’s the design/draft I saw a couple of months ago, it looked like a very nice addition indeed...

But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment :hihi:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:32 am

T. Jervell wrote:..But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment :hihi:
Not exactly actually - I wasn't expecting those until late December, so boards aren't ready. But I have something else interesting arriving this week...

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:38 pm

BugBrand wrote:
T. Jervell wrote:..But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment :hihi:
Not exactly actually - I wasn't expecting those until late December, so boards aren't ready. But I have something else interesting arriving this week...
Oooohhh!! Intriguing.... looking forward to see what you’ve got in store next :banana:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 am

BugBrand wrote:I have something else interesting arriving this week...
:omg:

Current Bugs frame:

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Looking forward to holiday joy, and upcoming batches ... but talk of new Bug creations always piques my interest, and brightens a grey snowy Monday. 8-)

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm

just here for the bugs! :alien:

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm

While we contemplate other "interesting things" for the future, I'm toying with an additional row for my trusty little portable system. Just getting started with it. The idea is to get the DDSR involved but stick to what's simple and playable. There's another complication in the works but we'll save that for another day.

Sound

:banana:
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 am

BananaPlug wrote:There's another complication in the works but we'll save that for another day.
:hihi:
BananaPlug wrote:Sound
:sb:

I love the pictures of your portable system(s) that you're posting.
As well of these sounds!!!

I wish friends would share here more videos or sound snippets made with their BugBrand gear.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:10 am

BananaPlug That's a wonderful sound clip! :guinness:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 am

Excellent sounds as always BP! How do you deal with power distribution on these hybrid frames? (if there's already a post somewhere apologies)
batchas wrote: I wish friends would share here more videos or sound snippets made with their BugBrand gear.
Sorry, once I have moved house, and got the Bugbrand Compilations pressed and sent out, I am hoping to have the time to set up my new space to leave a camera constantly set up and make more vids. I'm really behind with everything right now, it's really trying my patience :sadbanana:
I'm still playing phisynth's last video all the time!

Current Bugs frame:

Return to “BugBrand Devices”