Non Bugs controller / sequencer for controlling bugs?

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

ninGiaBoom
Common Wiggler

Post by ninGiaBoom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:53 am

BugBrand wrote:
ninGiaBoom wrote:
dogoftears wrote:don't overlook the Lorre Mill Double Kong.

Yeah. Seems the Dk works well with Bugs :nana: :bananaguitar:
Still never tried one, but there's distinct similarities to the not-too-distant DDSR - digital shift registers for rhythmic joy.
Coool!!! Good to know there will be the DDSR coming in for sequencing tasks :bananaguitar:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 am

No pic yet, but I made my Doboz TSNM 3U last week and it is quite nice though seems to have a few little hangups at times and a bit quirky in some operations.
I got it fitted in a 5FW case with 5V supply and DCDC to generate +/-15V.
Of course, it is not 5FW size - slightly less than 4FW so it looks a bit funny.. but I didn't have time to make a custom bodge wood case or something.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 am

BugBrand wrote:No pic yet, but I made my Doboz TSNM 3U last week and it is quite nice though seems to have a few little hangups at times and a bit quirky in some operations.
I got it fitted in a 5FW case with 5V supply and DCDC to generate +/-15V.
Of course, it is not 5FW size - slightly less than 4FW so it looks a bit funny.. but I didn't have time to make a custom bodge wood case or something.
Cool! Curious to hear how well it integrates.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:31 am

melodic patch with A4 driving a SynthVoice with some Chirper bubblies on top. one pitch/gate is sent to two oscillators detuned at some interval, filtered, then on to vca's. first arp is lowpass, the second is a highpass. everything goes into PTDelay then back into A4 for reverb which comes in at about :40. some high hats from A4 thrown in as well.

[video][/video]
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:00 pm

another TKB vote here. Bug and Serge seem to go together so nicely. Hoping for that Penrose quantizer by Tom soon!

Heres an old jam using the tkb, some serge and a DRM

[video][/video]
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Over the winter I got a five12 Vector sequencer and stuck it in one of those moog mother32 cases with the expander and a uzeus.

It's GREAT. tons of esoterica. CV ins. ratcheting. really fun preset management. generate/evolve at a button push. 6x cv/velo/gate. clock divider. lots of midi connectivity. beautiful display (great colors! relaxing to look at). unique, fun workflow.

it provides a nice counterpoint to the Cirklon way of doing things, and is a bit more performative. worth checking out. also very fun to patch with other bug sequencing modules like the DDSR.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice new life in this thread.
Rico, nice DRM+TKB. A proper quantizing solution would open get my attention although stretching to create without it probably has some merit.
:hmm:

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:45 am

OT hitting the bug rack with arps. DRM2 and one CVCO are the only voices, both then going into PT Delay. Joystick is modulating cutoff for both.

[video][/video]
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 pm

BananaPlug wrote:Nice new life in this thread.
Rico, nice DRM+TKB. A proper quantizing solution would open get my attention although stretching to create without it probably has some merit.
:hmm:
thank you! since Tom released the Penrose Quantizer module issues of quantizing are no longer there.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:26 pm

I think the OP already has one, but it's technically "non-Bugs," yet in-format: the Scrotum Lab Le Seq (with "X" expander) has a range control that looks really good to me on paper. I'm thinking it will pair beautifully with a real beauty of a sequencer I have from Stroh, an eight-stepper with a fully-featured logic panel called the "Boolean Drive:"

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm

I got an SQ1 a little while ago after giving up on and selling the Meng Qi Voltage Memory - which was a very well-featured controller (and a similar shade of blue to Bugbrand) but just never quite gelled with my workflow.

The SQ1 is a lot better than I had expected; very playable, the lack of being able to save settings doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would as it's easy enough to dial in the same pitches as before when set to the 1v range and setting up patterns is super easy. The four basic quantization functions are ample, all the different functions are easy to switch between once you've familiarised yourself with it, and the fact you can play it like a mini keyboard in step jump mode is very cool. The glide's a bit meh but I don't use that much anyway, and the tiny knobs are a little irksome.

Pairs really well with my two frames using Tom's mini jack to banana cables - whole lot of bang in a small footprint for not much cash at all. Not a perfect sequencer/controller but perfection shouldn't be the enemy of the really, really good.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”