DRM2

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

nanobot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nanobot » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 am

Vcoadsr wrote:Excellent!! I can imagine having this iwth the DRM1 & expander in a 1 frame row as a bug drum synth!
Exactly my thoughts. Looks like a total beast. First batch sold out quicker than I can regroup from buying a Chirper the other week. :help:

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:44 am

Like the wind!

This looks and sounds great - what a huge range of features.

I think I'd prefer the dual VCA design of the DRM1 though, if I ever get my hands on one! Who knows, perhaps a few might pop up for sale now this is in the wild.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 am

"quite possibly the most powerful dedicated analogue drum voice ever produced!"

:deadbanana:
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah, those went about as quick as I'd expect. I'll definitely snag one of these in a future batch. Until then, can't wait to hear what people are doing with them!

zeit

Post by zeit » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

Excellent video...powerful drum voice. :love: [/b]

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks all! (still catching up with emails)
chrisdermo wrote:"quite possibly the most powerful dedicated analogue drum voice ever produced!"
I don't think that's hyperbole (noting PRODUCED/Production not DIY 1 off) - but very happy to be disproved!
I think it was playing with the Pearl SY-1 clone that made me think to bring in Noise/S&H.
Not sure if the additive or subtractive way is better - the DRM1+X option to fire the Filt side definitely is a bit missed! But then, fully tricked out and with a few years more circuit experience.. This DRM2 does follow on a bit from the SynthVoice though the VC-Dcy Env was a new approach.

pustule
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pustule » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Was an email announcement sent out about these being available? Bummed to miss out on grabbing one -- Looks and sounds great!

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

BugBrand wrote:the DRM1+X option to fire the Filt side definitely is a bit missed!
Yeah, use it all the time, and that was my first reaction on the (otherwise beautiful) new design. Would that be a doable mod you think ?

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm

pustule wrote:Was an email announcement sent out about these being available? Bummed to miss out on grabbing one -- Looks and sounds great!
A detailed DRM2 descriptive post came out a couple days ago with a comment that he may be “jumping the gun” by posting it. Turned out not to be the case.
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:52 am

pustule wrote:Was an email announcement sent out about these being available? Bummed to miss out on grabbing one -- Looks and sounds great!
The number of people receiving mailouts has been slashed since the GDPR rules setting out that people had to actively opt in - so if you DID get emails before and DON'T now then email me and I can opt you in.

Philippe - no, not really - there's only one audio route.
(I guess I could have thought of independent triggers for sections, but...)

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 am

BugBrand wrote:Thanks all! (still catching up with emails)

I don't think that's hyperbole (noting PRODUCED/Production not DIY 1 off) - but very happy to be disproved!
Personally I'll just take the statement and run with it, it gives me great excitement :tu:
BugBrand wrote: I think it was playing with the Pearl SY-1 clone that made me think to bring in Noise/S&H.
Not sure if the additive or subtractive way is better - the DRM1+X option to fire the Filt side definitely is a bit missed! But then, fully tricked out and with a few years more circuit experience.. This DRM2 does follow on a bit from the SynthVoice though the VC-Dcy Env was a new approach.
I did wonder if it was the SY-1 that influenced that decision.
My DRM2 just arrived on my desk! How's that for speedy delivery? :nana:

Just had a quick lunchbreak blast with headphones and no patch cables. I like the really low oscillator range in the first half of the knob. Feels like a real 'tweak on the fly' type instrument with all the knobs and switches - nicely spaced, big enough to be comfortable in hand :hihi: . Gonna be a really enjoyable learning curve with this one for sure.

Current Bugs frame:

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:51 am

I’m envious Chris. 8-) I missed this run. If anyone should get one, you should be near the top of the list as you are such a prolific user/showcaser of the Bug brand, and I’ll enjoy your demos in the meantime.
Thanks Tom for your fantastic creations, and for being such a good natured guy and for your great communication and hands-on approach. I always look forward to receiving your updates and seeing how your work evolves.
Last edited by rpc on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Definitely looking to pair this with a DRM1X as well. There's no way I'd let go of my DRM1, but now I don't feel so bad about only having one of them, since I think a DRM2 will make an incredible second drum voice (or, third or fourth depending on how you use the DRM1... I actually have mine set up for one half doing a snare and the other doing a closed hat at the moment). Happy the DRM2 is finally out and people are having a go. I'll be watching for a future batch so I can join the fun.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Not gonna be able to get around to any recordings until next week (wouldn't have agreed to go to a wedding tomorrow had I known about drm2 at the time :hihi:) but this trio is a match made in heaven!Image

Granted I don't have the full drm1 expander but the 2 is definitely a different beast. S+h into the amp init and playing with the envelopes can yield all kinds of messed up drum + melody lines. Worth the negative bank balance!

Current Bugs frame:

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 am

chrisdermo wrote:Worth the negative bank balance!
^^ what he said, you only live once (and kids only like pasta anyway) :hihi:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 pm

chrisdermo wrote:Image
:sb: :headbang:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 am

Had a bit of a 'getting to know you' jam last night. DRM2 is capable of so much, I find with the DRM1 I tend to reach for the same sorts of sounds every time I go to it, but the DRM2 has so many options I can just endlessly tweak, though I am gravitating towards more acid-esque sounds at the moment. Some seriously crummy recordings up on my instagram if anyone's desperate to hear something from this box.
https://www.instagram.com/chrislemonde/
Will try do something with a decent recording asap.

Must say, that quad divider module really can't come soon enough! :mrgreen:

Current Bugs frame:

jjsynth
Common Wiggler

Post by jjsynth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 am

Found this in the mail :guinness:

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 am

Lucky guy. Mine is still in the hands of the postman. 1 day to cross the channel from the UK, almost 4 days now to make the last 200 m. F***ing belgian post :bang: :bang:

moket808
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moket808 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am

Next batch ? i missed this one .....:/

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Looking forward to the next run. The most exciting release for me in years, from any company. One word from my early rave years reserved for very special occasions with certain company seems fitting ... wicked! Groovy DRM2 logo! :tu: I’d be in for a sticker run of that! All my excitement/gushing over the release of a drumsynth ... go figure ... well it is a :bugbrand: drumsynth, and what seems to be incredible sounding, versatile/wide ranging, highly ergonomic and appealing colour-coded UI, being capable of much more than just a drumsynth ... so I can forgive myself. :) After all that, just watch me miss the next run too, despite having money in-hand. :oops: :cloud: lol

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 am

rpc wrote:After all that, just watch me miss the next run too, despite having money in-hand. :oops: :cloud: lol
There's a trick to not miss anything online. Just don't tell anyone else :hihi:

There are some sites where you can monitor any change on a webpage. Like for instance https://www.changedetection.com.
There you give the URL to the page you want to monitor.
Like if you want a DRM2:
https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?ma ... cts_id=137
As soon as anything on the page is changed you get an alert.
So when the stock changes from 0 to whatever, you'll get an alert.
This is what I'd do if I was looking for something online and don't want to miss it.

In despite of the fact that Tom sends a newsletter with updates of course.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:05 pm

There are some sites where you can monitor any change on a webpage. Like for instance https://www.changedetection.com.
Thanks Batchas. :tu:

Ironically, I did this before one of the Chirper batches was released, and it worked too well! I was expecting there were many others already using this kind of service, but it turned-out that I got a notification and bought the first one before Tom even sent his newsletter that they were online. Tom emailed me asking if I just camped-out on his site all the time (which isn't completely untrue). I felt a twinge of guilt, as it seemed unfair, like bringing a laser gun to a pop gun party. With the intent to ease my conscience a bit, I neglected to use the service for the DRM2 batch release. I feel better now. :) Now it's on! :tu: This all said, Tom's a pretty savvy guy, and has probably already changed his release procedure to negate any advantage people might gain from using web monitoring tools.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 am

Found a couple of nice vids on youtube from user 'Lucent Records' using DRM2 and Chirper:

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

Current Bugs frame:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Just have to say... the V/Oct pitch tracking on the Osc of the DRM2 is wonderful! It's still in tune waaay up to the highest frequencies.

I still would like to get a SynthVoice or at least most of the component modules.. but at the same time, could imagine a few DRM2s making a pretty nice polyphonic experience. The S+H on the trigger is also great, especially with the filter. Enjoying it.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”