Cheekies

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: Cheekies

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:37 pm
Some Good Samaritan on Reverb has taken it upon himself to sell Tom’s travel jig design for $125 + shipping.

Nothing wrong with charging for laser cutting services but... that price seems steep for selling a laser cut of a free template. (Just a guess but) likely without consulting Tom for permission to do so...?
Yes, someone else mentioned this to me &, no, I haven't been contacted.

I'm not entirely against it in a small scale way (don't think there's scope in my sphere to be larger scale ;)), though obviously aware how some larger open projects of others have been treated. The reasons I put them out were so I wouldn't have to oversee the work, figure shipping of awkward shapes and to keep prices low. For example, I think I paid c.£20 for such a set from the laser shop down the road - I certainly see that as a very reasonable cost & have taken quite a few designs down to that shop.

The price for someone else to undertake making such things is hard for me to quantify. In some ways I see it as an advert saying that the reverb seller can offer a service making these for people who can't DIY (/find a shop) & charges accordingly for such a service - it is for anyone interested to decide whether what is being charged is reasonable.

hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Re: Cheekies

Post by hollunderkurve » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 am

yea - i mentioned this to tom a few days back when i noticed it. i think i am going to try to go the local route with a laser cutter here in my city, but yea an interesting question in general about open sourcing things like this.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”