Cheekies

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am

lud wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:
BugBrand wrote:Updated with design pics & files!
Thanks! Getting a quote for a 3 frame bomber, I figured I could configure a decent 'performance' system with reds and blues across 3 frames, and still small and light enough to transport.
Let us know how much they cost! If it saves money to do together and you're still in London I'd be up for a pair of 3 framers too
Quote I just received for 3mm acryllic cheeks in blue was £84 + VAT + postage :confused:
Think I'll ask around a bit more haha! But same to you if you're looking and find a better deal.

Tom - the company asked for confirmation of the size of the template as apparently SVGs will often not open to the correct scale - would it be possible to put dimensions for each template in here (i.e. they were asking if the 3 frame bomber file was correct in coming out at 336mm x 336mm).
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:08 pm

I haven't yet managed to really figure measuring on Inkscape - at least not exactly - but, yes, that does appear to be the right size.

By the way, I was told that acrylic was much more expensive than plywood - I didn't ask for exact quotes as the guy said 'much more' and the wood price was highly acceptable.

Ply comes in various thicknesses - I can't remember offhand now what mine was - about 12mm, two pieces stuck together.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Ah ok, the quote I got was separated as:

Laser Cutting:
£45 + VAT

Materials: (3mm Blue acrylic)
£24 + VAT

Packing and UK Delivery:
£15 + VAT

So I'd assume that cutting price would be firm regardless of the material. I will ask.

Current Bugs frame:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm

I would search for a makerspace in your area - someone there will help you upload your file and run the laser cutter. It's quite a simple process if your file is ready to go.

Feel free to send me a pm and I can email you the converted .rld file for a set of 3Frame bomber cheeks, though you will want to confirm whether the file format is correct for the machine you're using. (I also had to rescale even after playing around with Inkscape export options -- the converted file is correct at 33.6 cm.)

Also, I would say 3mm seems on the thin side for cheeks that serve as a base. Maybe a combination of wood + acrylic if you want it for the aesthetic (I was also considering this.)

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 pm

BugBrand wrote:Here's the first build of the 5Frame - interesting that it is vertically almost the same as my old 12U (4Frame) racks:::

(this doesn't really show how shallow it is at the back. Only thing for me to continue to think somewhat about is how best to approach DC and 0V inputs and sharing - I did internal for the bottom two frames as otherwise the banana connector tended to bump the desk underneath)
Looks great Tom....
"Drowning...................not waving!"

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 am

chrisdermo wrote:Materials: (3mm Blue acrylic)
A few years ago I bought some thick blue acrylic as a test. But I really did not like the blue colour (not the kind of blue I wanted for my bugbrand modular anyway).
I know it's a matter of taste, but my recommendation to avoid a bad surprise is to check first which blue it is if you go for acrylic.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 pm

chrisdermo wrote:Ah ok, the quote I got was separated as:

Laser Cutting:
£45 + VAT

Materials: (3mm Blue acrylic)
£24 + VAT

Packing and UK Delivery:
£15 + VAT

So I'd assume that cutting price would be firm regardless of the material. I will ask.
That's rather a high price! I'll ask around and let you know here if I find cheaper.

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I don’t know if it’s because Tom has already done red and blue series but I’d love to see green released, not just for prototypes.

Rob

synthpriest
Common Wiggler

Post by synthpriest » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:54 pm

thermisonic wrote:I don’t know if it’s because Tom has already done red and blue series but I’d love to see green released, not just for prototypes.

Rob
I agree with you, especially for the studio bits. That green compressor on the right of his rack is just wonderful and somehow reminds me of the legendary Joe Meek designs. I bet it sounds as good if not better. :miley:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:29 am

Ha, I already struggle with boundaries between Red & Blue sometimes - adding a third colour would confuse me even more!
(and I think the SComp looks lovely in Red)

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:09 pm

easy on the eyes. adventurous on the ears.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Holy shit, great cheeks and set-up! Looking good in wood :sb:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:10 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:easy on the eyes. adventurous on the ears.
Ok I did actually clock this on your previous pic, but this just reminded me -
3xDRM1 & 1x & DRM2 & radio music?? :zombie:

That's a wet dream drum machine right there.

What's that you're using to angle the 2 framer in the second pic?

Current Bugs frame:

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:56 am

4 Bugbrand DRM devices, woah!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:07 pm

chrisdermo wrote:
Ok I did actually clock this on your previous pic, but this just reminded me -
3xDRM1 & 1x & DRM2 & radio music?? :zombie:

Kicking ass setup :headbang:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 pm

chrisdermo wrote: 3xDRM1 & 1x & DRM2 & radio music?? :zombie:

Don't forget to ping the COFilter! Love that sound.

The DRMs can be so massive, a couple of them can pretty much cover your spectral-temporal needs. Still I wonder what 8 of them would sound like? Still much to discover / re-discover in this setup.
chrisdermo wrote:What's that you're using to angle the 2 framer in the second pic?
It's a laptop stand. At some point that setup will get some cheeks as well, and the laptop stand goes back to its mundane office duties.

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:51 am

Love the photos.......
"Drowning...................not waving!"

vegas7188
Common Wiggler

Post by vegas7188 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 pm

These cheekies look great!
@/\/\/\/ (or others with cheeks - Tom?) How deep are these at their widest? I.e. how deep is the shelf you have them on? I have a spare spot on a shelf but it isn't very deep, so was wondering if they'd fit without being too precariously balanced.

Thanks!

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:42 pm

Just wondering, was there anything like a Buchla Skylab foldable case in a world of a BugBrand? Maybe not a case, but just a solution for existing BB boats... Would be nice... 2 or 3 or 4 rows.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Tajnost wrote:Just wondering, was there anything like a Buchla Skylab foldable case in a world of a BugBrand? Maybe not a case, but just a solution for existing BB boats... Would be nice... 2 or 3 or 4 rows.
That would be pretty cool.

I don't remember ever seeing a Bugs case like that and it would certainly be a DIY job. Might work quite well with the newer, thinner. Bugbrand modules. Certainly possible for the older "old blue" modules although not quite as neat as you'd need to allow for a fair bit of additional module depth I think.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm

vegas7188 wrote:These cheekies look great!
@/\/\/\/ (or others with cheeks - Tom?) How deep are these at their widest? I.e. how deep is the shelf you have them on? I have a spare spot on a shelf but it isn't very deep, so was wondering if they'd fit without being too precariously balanced.

Thanks!
I'll update the 1st post with rough measurements

vegas7188
Common Wiggler

Post by vegas7188 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Amazing, thanks Tom.

And the 3 frame boot will fit perfectly in aforementioned shelf-gap.

Think I may do some research into local laser-cut shops tonight!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Sorry, meant to add that it may be worth factoring in a few extra cms behind for power / 0V cables.
I've tended to do the lowest two frames with internal power/0V connection - having those connections on the outside would bump on the desk.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 am

I'm going to get a few more cheeks cut at the local place --- anyone else interested at the same time? Not yet sure how much postage will be --- not aiming to do this regularly, but happy to do a few.

Especially 5Frame as at least one pair will be ordered (might get myself an extra set at the same time - I already have 3 pairs of them in use!)

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 am

BugBrand wrote:I'm going to get a few more cheeks cut at the local place --- anyone else interested at the same time? Not yet sure how much postage will be --- not aiming to do this regularly, but happy to do a few.

Especially 5Frame as at least one pair will be ordered (might get myself an extra set at the same time - I already have 3 pairs of them in use!)
I'm tempted for a five framer..... but I want to try make my 3 work for a while first. Must remember - less is more :help:

Current Bugs frame:

Return to “BugBrand Devices”