Scrotum Lab - Le Seq

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

otoskope wrote:It was also so great to meet you in person in Monaco!
I enjoyed it very much. As well as your performance :sb:

knittingram
Common Wiggler

Post by knittingram » Thu May 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Looking forward to getting these whenever
They are available :)

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 am

batchas wrote:Thank you. All your comments help me going through the all process.

Today got the 2nd delivery, waiting weeks for this and this is what I got from the manufacture. Lost so many hours with this (photos, messages).
I thought this time I'd order more and pay more, but it's frustrating to see that only 5 from all what was done will be usable. All the rest is like here:

Most have the same silkscreen issue (obv. their silk was not clean): Photo 1
And when a few have silkscreen looks good, then they have blemishes: Photo 2
All black are scratched or have blemishes: Photo 3, Photo 4

Where for once there were no scratches on any blue one (the black are terrible), then the silkscreen was bad :waah:
It's amazing cause on everything else than the frontpanel PCBs, the silkscreen is perfect (even with very tiny font). Also the PCBs with circuit or assembly looks very good.
I can't build anything in this quality.
Well. I guess it's my karma...

I asked for replacement or money back because slowly and slowly it's getting difficult. They said they do a new run in 2 weeks...
Crossing fingers.
Meanwhile I'll prepare some Le Seq and make 5 Orgone with the panels which look ok.

I admire Tom who never gave up and is still making very nice products, even if the all process of making modules can be sometimes pretty difficult.
Yes, panels are the biggest ball ache at present!
The new place I'm trying didn't do great for the first test, but are currently remaking about half the batch & assure me they can improve.
But it is so tiring & wasteful having to discard so many panels!

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Tue May 07, 2019 4:02 am

Sad to hear. But from a pun-el perspective, you guys are having an interesting panel discussion.

(Always look at the bright side of life.)
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 am

Groan.....

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Thu May 09, 2019 8:17 am

Got the replacement panels. 50% blue is not ok. 90% black is waste. Very disappointed. I won't make anything with them anymore.

I wish Tom has better results.

I'll buid now some modules with the few panels which are good.

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 am

Sorry to hear :(
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am

That is a bummer. Is it an issue with the material or just poor manufacturing & QA?

With numbers of units understandably low I'll settle for one rather than two if it helps?
Last edited by a100user on Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am

The few blue which are OK look really nice. I have one in the hands which looks simply perfect, silkscreen and a very nice blue colour. It's a bummer they can't do all in the same quality.
Tja. C'est comme ça...

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Thu May 09, 2019 3:17 pm

a100user wrote:Is it an issue with the material or just poor manufacturing & QA?
Well on the black one there's something wrong with the surface finish. But generally and on the blue as well it's without doubt an issue with their method of control & QA. The way they manipulate these.
They are used to make PCBs which do not need to be visually good and don't need to be manipulated with care as much as a front panel does.
I have the feeling they handle the PCB more like rubbish than something of any esthetic value, which I can understand because the material itself is cheap.
What I cannot understand so easely is the result, knowing that we communicate a lot via email, I send photos, videos, how it is and it should be. They agree to make it like asked, but do not at the end.
They put some efforts I have to admit. They agreed to have 3.2mm thick panels that they did not have orginally. They added papers inbetween like I asked for instance and this batch had way less scratches than the previous one. They also shipped this replacement very fast (maybe too fast?).
But still... There are 3 or 4 blue panels which look just perfect, so it means it's possible to make it ok. I guess they do not have time to take all the necessary care. The person (or the AI???) I am communicating with in english is always ok, asks for details, seems interested, says the'll improve, but obv. she's not the worker at the machine who needs to do the job. I guess conditions of work are not the finest, or this kind of unpleasantness would not happen and all products would be good.
The deception is also because I see so much waste. You can't recycle these things.
And also because it's a lot of time wasted too.

To finish on a positive note:
The finished Orgone MK2 & Le Seq will look good... The first ones in the batch anyway and if there is anything noticeable on the surface like a small scratch or a mark on the later ones, the buyer will know before deciding.

These new Le Seq have a header on the back ready for a future expansion (img). I already have the cables in stock!
And if I see I don't make the expansion after all the rest is finished in a month or two, then it will be very easy for anyone to add at least 8 single gate outputs on a 1FW DIY blank from Tom.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 pm

batchas wrote:
a100user wrote:Is it an issue with the material or just poor manufacturing & QA?
Well on the black one there's something wrong with the surface finish. But generally and on the blue as well it's without doubt an issue with their method of control & QA. The way they manipulate these.
They are used to make PCBs which do not need to be visually good and don't need to be manipulated with care as much as a front panel does.
I have the feeling they handle the PCB more like rubbish than something of any esthetic value, which I can understand because the material itself is cheap.
What I cannot understand so easely is the result, knowing that we communicate a lot via email, I send photos, videos, how it is and it should be. They agree to make it like asked, but do not at the end.
They put some efforts I have to admit. They agreed to have 3.2mm thick panels that they did not have orginally. They added papers inbetween like I asked for instance and this batch had way less scratches than the previous one. They also shipped this replacement very fast (maybe too fast?).
But still... There are 3 or 4 blue panels which look just perfect, so it means it's possible to make it ok. I guess they do not have time to take all the necessary care. The person (or the AI???) I am communicating with in english is always ok, asks for details, seems interested, says the'll improve, but obv. she's not the worker at the machine who needs to do the job. I guess conditions of work are not the finest, or this kind of unpleasantness would not happen and all products would be good.
The deception is also because I see so much waste. You can't recycle these things.
And also because it's a lot of time wasted too.

To finish on a positive note:
The finished Orgone MK2 & Le Seq will look good... The first ones in the batch anyway and if there is anything noticeable on the surface like a small scratch or a mark on the later ones, the buyer will know before deciding.

These new Le Seq have a header on the back ready for a future expansion (img). I already have the cables in stock!
And if I see I don't make the expansion after all the rest is finished in a month or two, then it will be very easy for anyone to add at least 8 single gate outputs on a 1FW DIY blank from Tom.
I think you are probably correct in that the person doing the fabrication is just so used to working with standard pcb’s that the care and the extra time needed to produce perfect examples just doesn’t come naturally or they are payed per piece.

ninGiaBoom
Common Wiggler

Post by ninGiaBoom » Thu May 09, 2019 4:22 pm

I' m here attending at Superbooth and i've just seen this company (i'm not affiliated with them) making panels:

www.grawart.pl

Cheers

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 pm

Did you watch the pcbway video tour posted recently? It doesn't surprise me that pcbs get scuffed or goobered, they have to go through a gazillion steps...

[video][/video]

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 am

From the 4 companies I already tried, it's the first time I see some fingerprints near the edges of the panels on the 2 last batches of panels I received, in despite of all recommendations.
As I ordered a larger quantity I have now enough to make a batch.
soup wrote:Did you watch the pcbway video tour posted recently? It doesn't surprise me that pcbs get scuffed or goobered, they have to go through a gazillion steps...
Yeah I remember seing this video a while ago. A good insight in the manufacture actually.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 am

As info: I broke my thumb and it's the hand I make everyting with.
So I'll be able to make the modules (solder, mount bananas etc) once I can move again my fingers.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am

batchas wrote:As info: I broke my thumb and it's the hand I make everyting with.
So I'll be able to make the modules (solder, mount bananas etc) once I can move again my fingers.
Sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery :tu:

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 am

batchas wrote:As info: I broke my thumb and it's the hand I make everyting with.
Sorry to hear Robert, hope there is no embarrassing story behind the accident :)

ninGiaBoom
Common Wiggler

Post by ninGiaBoom » Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Get well soon!

knittingram
Common Wiggler

Post by knittingram » Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 am

Ouch! Take your time healing.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”