DIY blanks

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:26 am

rico loverde wrote:5 Channel mixer using the CGS04 DC mixer pcb. Output jack is a little too close to the bottom knob, it works but its tight, looks way worse than it is in the pic.

Image
Image
Neato! What sort of pots are those? Nice and compact.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by rico loverde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 am

chrisdermo wrote:Neato! What sort of pots are those? Nice and compact.
They were some I had left over from a Random Source build. I think I got them from Thonk. They are meant for mounting directly to a pcb. They are not the strongest when used like this but def save some space.

I believe they were these

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-dshaft/
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

User avatar
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by rico loverde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am

Does anyone know where to get the banana jacks Tom uses in the U.S.? I looked for the TruConnects yesterday at didnt have any luck. The Pomona ones I used on my LPG build arent the same colors as his, different shades.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 pm

rico loverde wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:Neato! What sort of pots are those? Nice and compact.
They were some I had left over from a Random Source build. I think I got them from Thonk. They are meant for mounting directly to a pcb. They are not the strongest when used like this but def save some space.

I believe they were these

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-dshaft/
Ah so they're come with the nut to screw I tom a faceplate?

Tom said he has spares of his jacks in the spare parts thread - better international shipping rates than rapid.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
soup
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Post by soup » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 pm

rico loverde wrote:Does anyone know where to get the banana jacks Tom uses in the U.S.? I looked for the TruConnects yesterday at didnt have any luck. The Pomona ones I used on my LPG build arent the same colors as his, different shades.
I like the pomonas but tried to bananafy a euro module and looked around for something similar and couldn't find them in the states. I did find these cheapo Chinese ones that while they look a little different are the same colors as the one's Tom uses...



I prefer the pomona but I like all the other colors.

User avatar
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by rico loverde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 pm

chrisdermo wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:Neato! What sort of pots are those? Nice and compact.
They were some I had left over from a Random Source build. I think I got them from Thonk. They are meant for mounting directly to a pcb. They are not the strongest when used like this but def save some space.

I believe they were these

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-dshaft/
Ah so they're come with the nut to screw I tom a faceplate?

Tom said he has spares of his jacks in the spare parts thread - better international shipping rates than rapid.
yea they have a nut for mounting to the panel so they feel great just don't have the solid lugs to solder the wires to.

Ill have to ask Tom to buy some next time I place an order, thanx for the heads up
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

User avatar
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by rico loverde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm

soup wrote:
rico loverde wrote:Does anyone know where to get the banana jacks Tom uses in the U.S.? I looked for the TruConnects yesterday at didnt have any luck. The Pomona ones I used on my LPG build arent the same colors as his, different shades.
I like the pomonas but tried to bananafy a euro module and looked around for something similar and couldn't find them in the states. I did find these cheapo Chinese ones that while they look a little different are the same colors as the one's Tom uses...



I prefer the pomona but I like all the other colors.
I saw those yesterday but wasn't sure the quality. I do prefer the Pomona's as well, just wished the colors matched! I get too OCD sometimes.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

User avatar
rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by rico loverde » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:56 pm

One more finished today. An expander for the LeSeq with individual gate outs. Had some space at the bottom and added two 1/4 to banana adapters. The predrilled holes on these blanks make them so easy....I love them!!!

This was really easy to wire as well, used an old euro ribbon cable

Image
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Built a Music thing spring from Thonk (ebcidic/VCOASDR has also built a better looking one :hihi: )

Sounds ACE. I only really wanted the belton brick reverb functionality but will try a proper spring soon. Some issues with the pcb expecting switched minijacks but not too difficult to figure I think..... Phil has sorted his fully while I’m holiday I think,

Tom - would love to hear your take on a belton brick reverb / spring driver with a nice eq circuit.

Forgot to save the pic to my phone but here’s the insta post.


You have cv input for mix, input 1, feedback input and xfade input to cut the verb and use it as an x fader (don’t really need this personally) then you have mix out and wet out at the bottom. The switch changes feedback from positive to negative to off. Knobs are mix, cv depth, feedback, eq tilt.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
fever606
Common Wiggler
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: district of columbia

Post by fever606 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Love this idea and would love to have one, though I’d opt for the external spring tank over the BB...

Meant to ask this on the Instagram post, but how did you deal with the 12V euro -> 15V Frac power difference?

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 am

fever606 wrote:Love this idea and would love to have one, though I’d opt for the external spring tank over the BB...
The belton sounds fantastic! It’s a hell of a lot smaller footprint than a spring tank too.
fever606 wrote: Meant to ask this on the Instagram post, but how did you deal with the 12V euro -> 15V Frac power difference?
No extra work necessary, works fine on 15v.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
Kafgee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm
Location: Athens

Post by Kafgee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:07 am

Nice work Chris I be seen it on your ig

Send some sound clips maybe :yay:

User avatar
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: PHL USA

Post by BananaPlug » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:45 am

Chris,
Would love to hear some of that. I must say the examples I've heard in some demos are surprisingly like a true spring. Perhaps some oddities (I wouldn't swear to it) but nothing I'd hear when it's buried in the mix.
I went the other way recently, found a used Springray2.
:banana:

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Will do when I’m back home next week and get a spare moment. I got ‘short’ and ‘medium’ bricks. Found the short was great for staccato percussive sounds but a bit too much like a standard slapback delay / too phasey on longer melodic stuff, medium is better for that but too splashy for my taste on the percussive sounds. Will probably grab a ‘long’ too to try out. The eq circuit is a must for dialling in the right kind of verb for the job.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
Kafgee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm
Location: Athens

Post by Kafgee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 pm

:omg:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:42 pm

chrisdermo wrote:
fever606 wrote:Love this idea and would love to have one, though I’d opt for the external spring tank over the BB...
The belton sounds fantastic! It’s a hell of a lot smaller footprint than a spring tank too.
I have the Belton brick in a Serge panel and I love it to bits; it's tetchy, nervy and feeds back excellently.

This thread has been inspiring!

Post Reply

Return to “BugBrand Devices”