DIY blanks

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 am

soup wrote:
KNYST wrote:Top: Easel Random Voltage Source
Bottom: Fonik Sequential Switch (bi-directional)

Built it in 2013. Seqswitch board is behind the panel and the RVS board is mounted in the case... :)
That's rad! I made one of those sequential switches too, they're great little modules...
Beautiful!
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Here’s more diy frac fun, a bunch of stroh modular (microflop, vco, diginoise, fadex), a barton writable quantizer and a dual digital osc...

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Wow... Those frames look great together. Nice layout and aesthetic!

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Is that a cross fader on the far right module? That frame is the business! :headbang:
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:10 am

Exquisite! Thanks for sharing :guinness:
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

Kafgee
Common Wiggler

Post by Kafgee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:05 am

:party: fantastic setup soup :hail:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Built two of the meng qi dplpg boards behind one of the new 1fw blanks - QPLPG! Really enjoying this module paired with the QDiv and weevil as a way of sequencing switches - turning modulation sources on and off in time with the sequence etc. Good utility to space ratio! Dead simple build too.
The lpg's themselves are kind of rough and ready - a bit warbly and not very clean but it's nice to have a bit of that character in the system - they sound very nicely Lofi with the pt delay. I did notice though that filter and mixer modules are affected by it that aren't at all connected except the ground bus on the power boards. Wonder if that's because I only grounded the audio input jack sleeve pads and not the output or cv input sleeves. Either way I kind of like that it adds a touch of instability!

The guide holes on the blank were a godsend though you can see my shoddy impatient drilling still managed to get the bottom two jacks wonky!

Current Bugs frame:

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 am

Nice one Chris! 8-)

I got around to getting some chirper expansions done yesterday. I had to wait for some banana jacks two weeks and when they showed up it was all garbage. Luckily found some suitable jacks in the mess here that were better quality. Sadly i have not had time to play around with it yet, but here are some pictures.

fever606
Common Wiggler

Post by fever606 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:23 am

Haha that's great, @sungja! Never even thought to do up a Chirper expansion on it's own side panels! :cloud:

Also, @chrisdermo... that looks awesome! I think we've talked about DIY-ing MQ LPGs in Bugs before, I still need to find someone local-ish that's competent soldering SMD...

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 pm

fever606 wrote:Haha that's great, @sungja! Never even thought to do up a Chirper expansion on it's own side panels! :cloud:

Also, @chrisdermo... that looks awesome! I think we've talked about DIY-ing MQ LPGs in Bugs before, I still need to find someone local-ish that's competent soldering SMD...
It's not toooooo hard. There's enough space just about to sort of kludge it in position, once the solder is in place it won't move.

Current Bugs frame:

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am

Just had a quick jam with the chirper expansions and so happy i did it. The filter input makes it possible to listen to both oscillators and kind of mix them with the drive knob. This makes the chirper into a drone monster easily.

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18 am

fever606 wrote:Haha that's great, @sungja! Never even thought to do up a Chirper expansion on it's own side panels! :cloud:

Putting the bananas on the side panels was an idea i had for the bugbrand cofilter expander but never got around to. I found out there was not much space behind the panels but on the chirper there is plenty of room.

I have never soldered smd before but if you have good light on the desk and proper soldering tools for smd it can not be that hard.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm

I prefer through-hole but larger smd parts are not hard at all even without any special tools if the pcb's aren't super crowded. If you already know how to solder and watch a youtube video or 2 you'll pick it up right away.

There's plenty of room in a 3fw frame for a COFilter expander, this one though is a bit odd as I had a different format expander in the frame originally so 1v/o is on the back. I don't actually use the expander much but it's handy in a pinch. Also workshop crusher...

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:50 pm

I have the cof expander module but need a bigger case to get that in. I see there is room for putting bananas in the alu case but trying to avoid that for now. There is room on the side panels but it is a really tight fit and if doing a small error those panels are garbage. Will have to look into it at a later point.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Bootleg passive switches, easy peasy with one of the new bug blanks...

Kafgee
Common Wiggler

Post by Kafgee » Fri May 17, 2019 2:05 am

How did you make the graphics on the
Blanks soup?

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri May 17, 2019 11:34 am

Sorry if I was confusing, that's not a bug blank, that's a plexi panel I had cut, I just meant that the guide holes in the 1fw blank are perfect for making a knock off of the old passive switches. I've never actually seen a bug blank.

b/w

It looks a little cheap but newer label makers (I bought a dymo for ~$30) work as usb printers with little tiny pages and can print out little white on clear stickers with pictures and/or text.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue May 28, 2019 4:57 pm

These blanks are so great. Just finished a dual Thomas White LPG. Tight fit but it just made it. Need to change the red knob caps to 2 orange and 2 blue.

works for Darkplace Manufacturing

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 am

rico loverde wrote:These blanks are so great. Just finished a dual Thomas White LPG. Tight fit but it just made it. Need to change the red knob caps to 2 orange and 2 blue.

Sweet DIY! Are they calibrated to BugBrand voltage standards? Gonna need to hear those LPGs please. :nana:

Current Bugs frame:

knittingram
Wiggling with Experience

Post by knittingram » Thu May 30, 2019 1:07 am

rico loverde wrote:These blanks are so great. Just finished a dual Thomas White LPG. Tight fit but it just made it. Need to change the red knob caps to 2 orange and 2 blue.

That’s so rad! Exactly what I want in my system right now.
Please build one for me. I have an extra DIY blank :)

Either way, rad!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 am

Would love to hear the LPGs in action :sb:

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Thu May 30, 2019 10:27 am

soup wrote:Bootleg passive switches, easy peasy with one of the new bug blanks...

Lovely work, your DIY panels. What's the purpose/effect of the various caps on the switches? Is it like a slew or something?

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm

DickMarker wrote:What's the purpose/effect of the various caps on the switches? Is it like a slew or something?
Yes, the caps work as a slew. The highest value will turn a trigger into a short decay envelope. There's more on the original page...

https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?ma ... cts_id=105

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 am

Thanks - looks like Tom's new 1fw blanks would be perfect for putting this together.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:05 pm

knittingram wrote:That’s so rad! Exactly what I want in my system right now.
Please build one for me. I have an extra DIY blank :)

Either way, rad!
Sadly I don't think I have the time to build one (40 hours a week at Malekko!) but its really a fairly easy build. Synthcube has the T White LPG pcbs in stock and I can def offer you some help and advice to make it go a bit smoother. If you source your own parts its a pretty affordable build. They sound great too. Ill try to post some demos soon.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

Return to “BugBrand Devices”