what makes bugbrand special?

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Figured I should chime in but where do you start? A lot of it is good judgement, lots of experimentation, the occasional gutsy decision (Bananafrac!).
:nana:

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

One thing that I really appreciate about Bugbrand is the reliability. I have never had a module go wrong that I can remember, never had a power supply fail, etc. Besides that the modules sound great and they're as flexible as your imagination can make them. You definitely don't need a lot of Bugbrand to be able to make a lot of music. On top of all that Tom is a total gent, extremely generous, and like his modules he has a good mix of a creative and practical mind.
looking for:
Eardrill ADSR m-module for Buchla
Intellijel uFade
TSP Teaspoon CAS pedal

https://richardquirkmusic.bandcamp.com
https://thechasms.bandcamp.com
https://twice-dead.bandcamp.com
https://sandfingers.bandcamp.com

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:27 am

Nice thread. Very interesting to read your thoughts, Tom. Honest as always.

Picked this for for trademarking...
BugBrand wrote:widely fucked
My list (mainly commenting on OldBlue)
  • *The interface is very consistent and well thought out
    *Clever additions to basic/old functions
    *It is a real instrument (if anyone was in doubt), in the same way as an old Buchla 200 system.
    *Even though I love my other systems as well, I prefer this over Serge or Buchla for live performance.
    *Tom is Tom.
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 am

knyst, any reason why you prefer bugs over serge and buchla for live performance?

also, how do you folks sequence in bugs? is it possible to have precise sequencing and long-form compositions in an all-bugs form? (i.e. no external sequencers)

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 am

Agree with everything said above.

After getting familiar with my BB system many musicians told me: this system is not modern, neither archaic, not even revolutionary, but it is just "timeless". I think I like this definition the most to describe BB "style" and sound.

CL instruments are completely different. They amaze all the time, but definitelly they are not "all-purpose tools". For me the sound of BB is just the general "sound of electronics", you choose how and what exactly it will sound like.

Noise? Techno? Berlin school? Avantgarde? Improvised Electronics? Bassline or drum beat for a top10 guitar band? Sci-fi Sound Design? No problem - BB has it! : )

I'm quite happy with "availability issue". I don't need to rush all the time with getting new modules, just work with what I already have and as soon as there's a good chance - upgrade without too much hesetation, because there could be no other chance anytime soon. So I usually get a few BB format modules here and there couple of times per year. For me (and my wallet : ) Tom's timing is just perfect.

Last thing I want to add: modular synth was invented (let's ignore here educational, siencific, and other special aspects ) to produce "new" sound and help to come out with your personal music, not to be a "worship cult" or "trandy hobby". So for me BB is just the right modular. 100 out 100. It gives zero reasons to worry about anything, just works and helps to produce new music whenever I need.

Hope this helps.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 am

odditymedium wrote:knyst, any reason why you prefer bugs over serge and buchla for live performance?
This is of course very subjective. My main reasons: smaller format, better workflow, easier to tame than Serge. Furthermore, I prefer the single and dual function blocks of BugBrand compared to Buchla's groups of four...
And, to me, BugBrand is an excellent compromise between all available systems. In spite of this, it has it's own personality and some unique solutions.
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:35 pm

odditymedium wrote:knyst, any reason why you prefer bugs over serge and buchla for live performance?

also, how do you folks sequence in bugs? is it possible to have precise sequencing and long-form compositions in an all-bugs form? (i.e. no external sequencers)
It may just be me, but the absence of certain utility modules in the current line (comparators, sample and hold, a quantizer) makes this a dubious prospect. I can’t speak to the more extensive selection of “old blues,” but those are unobtanium, anyway.

Of course, you can get these missing modules from other Frac format manufacturers or DIY, but then you’re out of the Bugbrand line, which, of course, is fine.

This is by no means a complaint about Tom’s current lineup of excellent modules. He’ll get around to those solutions or he won’t, like.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 am

syncretism wrote:..comparators, sample and hold, a quantizer...
Comp - is in mind (only slightly to be honest)
S&H - is in prototype (slowly does it)
Quant - is in production stages

This year is very much about extending the range of modules!

But, to answer the orig question:
- for precision / repeatability / 'song structure', you'd almost certainly want an external seq.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:27 pm

BugBrand wrote:
syncretism wrote:..comparators, sample and hold, a quantizer...
Comp - is in mind (only slightly to be honest)
S&H - is in prototype (slowly does it)
Quant - is in production stages

This year is very much about extending the range of modules!
This year is very much about setting up Tom Bugs’ very own direct deposit account in my job’s payroll service. ;)

Return to “BugBrand Devices”