Le Seq X

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

Post Reply
User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Le Seq X

Post by batchas » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 am

A few months ago when I made the expander circuit I wanted to add to Le Seq rev 2.0, I was convinced having A or B gate outs would be the best option to add to the single gate outs, as I'd have some room free on the 1FW expander panel. I wanted for instance the ability to reset via switch Le Seq.
So I did choose this option instead of having only 1 main output and a switch per step allowing for instance gated or full output instead of A or B full.

Since then I had a break for a couple of weeks and also I played a few times with the new gate sequencer panel I did for the Serge system and today I’m not sure it was the best choice having 2 out (A or B full), instead of 1 x out (MAIN OUT) gated or full. Well... Can’t have it all I guess...

Still. I’m quite happy to get the sequencer functionality of Le Seq rev2.0 now expanded:
[video][/video]
Link:


EDIT:
Small number on front panel: the manufacture in China simply ignored my wish of not having any proto number printed on the surface.
Last edited by batchas on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

User avatar
a100user
All the gear, no idea!
Posts: 4022
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 am
Location: Southern England

Post by a100user » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Nice batchas, very nice.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 am

If anyone with a Le Seq rev1.0 wants a gate Xpander made for rev2.0, just send me a PM. There's a possibility to replace the top board on rev1.0 with rev2.0.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

User avatar
Kafgee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm
Location: Athens

Post by Kafgee » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 pm

:sb: yas black X please :bananaguitar:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 pm

I’d like to understand what’s happening in the video; are the gate outputs derived from the CV output and a comparator? Is there insufficient voltage drop between stages, so “AAA” looks like one long gate? Does this change of the three steps’ voltages are, say, 1, 0, 2?

Wondering if I should get the expander, or just stick with the Le Seq and let logic or comparators handle my gate events.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 am

Sorry the video/explanations are not clear enough.
Here is an illustration which should describe properly.
The GATE outputs are not derived from the CV output/comp: the CLOCK signal from Le Seq (CLOCK on my illustration) is sent internally to Le Seq X.

What I show here is what would happen on A output for instance, if you switched steps 1,3,5,6,7 to A position. Easier I guess like this to understand the FULL gate output.
On Le Seq X the switch has 3 positions, cause you can switch either to A output or OFF or B output.

Image
Last edited by batchas on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7285
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Post by BugBrand » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:09 am

On the Gated part of the image, wouldn't the falling edge of the output correspond to the rising edge of the clock?
So the first two outputs would be exactly one clock period long - and the long output would stretch a further 1/2 clock period.
That's at least how my full vs. gated approach has been.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:43 am

BugBrand wrote:On the Gated part of the image, wouldn't the falling edge of the output correspond to the rising edge of the clock?
So the first two outputs would be exactly one clock period long - and the long output would stretch a further 1/2 clock period.
That's at least how my full vs. gated approach has been.
Yes you're right Tom.
I did redraw by hand and forgot to move points. Too quick as usual between two appointments. I updated my previous post so there's no confusion.

Thanx Tom :tu:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Post by /\/\/\/ » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm

syncretism wrote:I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.
I think the full gates are particularly useful to have for just what you are describing. I was thinking recently of doing this with an oscillator + LeSeqX gate for a nice blend of free-running and tempo. Need to pick up that Logic module first though...

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 am

syncretism wrote:Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.
Indeed.
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm

batchas wrote:
syncretism wrote:Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.
Indeed.
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.
I’ll give both of these approaches a try!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:23 am

chrisdermo wrote:
batchas wrote:Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.
I’ll give both of these approaches a try!
Taking the individual outs will make also some FULL gates. I can't try now, but I realised this morning that I said something stupid the last day when I mention the individual outputs.
I was trying different approaches when I was making the expander and now mixing up in my mind.
I'm very sorry about that :(

EDIT: I have to edit my post cause im making it always more confusing.

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:11 am

batchas wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:
batchas wrote:Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.
I’ll give both of these approaches a try!
Taking the individual outs will make also some FULL gates. I can't try now, but I realised this morning that I said something stupid the last day when I mention the individual outputs.
I was trying different approaches when I was making the expander and now mixing up in my mind.
I'm very sorry about that :(

EDIT: I have to edit my post cause im making it always more confusing.
Not a problem, take it easy! :-)
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 am

With an AND logic a gate would shoot 2 times.

Ex.: if you have a FULL out at step one, then it will shoot also on step 2, because as we saw the FULL signal is longer and "laps" on the next step (still high when second clock signal is going high).

As mentionned a OR logic would be a workaround.

I'll post a video. Easier to show.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 am



Not living in town makes it sometimes difficult.
11 hours without electricity then a 9:30 AM again ok, then all day randomly on or off, so I can't do anything serious.

I profit that it's on now to mention that I'll make asap some videos to show the different results when using AND or OR gates and the normal or inverted output on the BugBrand Triple Logic.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:34 pm

I have perhaps opened a can of worms. Sorry, Batchas, and thank you for your diligence!

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 am

syncretism wrote:I have perhaps opened a can of worms
At the contrary! I'm glad you asked. It helps.
It's good to clarify or add missing infos :tu: :tu: :tu:

I'll take time to make some videos asap.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:44 am

As I am incapable of making a decent video, I will write.
I mentionned earlier that and AND logic will not be satisfying. It's due to the way the circuit is done. The main clock output is way shorter than the outputs on the expander which I decided to add once Le Seq was released.
I made Le Seq X cause I needed something to go directly to a VCA for instance or a LPG, having the possibility to make different rhythms/divisions with switching between 2 outputs.

Now, to get a decent switchable gated output out of Le Seq X, you'd have ot use a OR logic.
A output of le Seq X goes to input A of logic (like BugBrand Triple Logic Gate).
CLOCK output of Le Seq goes to B intput of logic.
Logic output goes into an env. generator (like BugBrand Attack/Decay for instance) which goes to a VCA.
If all switches on Le Seq X are on A position, you get no signal (again due to the difference between Le Seq and Le Seq X outputs). If a switch in on OFF position, you activate the corresponding step. You can also switch to B and use the B output sent to another AD and "accentuate" any step.
To have a "perfect" switchable gated signal and avoid a delay on each step, you simply take the inverted output of the logic module.

User avatar
chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 am

batchas wrote:As I am incapable of making a decent video, I will write.
I mentionned earlier that and AND logic will not be satisfying. It's due to the way the circuit is done. The main clock output is way shorter than the outputs on the expander which I decided to add once Le Seq was released.
I made Le Seq X cause I needed something to go directly to a VCA for instance or a LPG, having the possibility to make different rhythms/divisions with switching between 2 outputs.

Now, to get a decent switchable gated output out of Le Seq X, you'd have ot use a OR logic.
A output of le Seq X goes to input A of logic (like BugBrand Triple Logic Gate).
CLOCK output of Le Seq goes to B intput of logic.
Logic output goes into an env. generator (like BugBrand Attack/Decay for instance) which goes to a VCA.
If all switches on Le Seq X are on A position, you get no signal (again due to the difference between Le Seq and Le Seq X outputs). If a switch in on OFF position, you activate the corresponding step. You can also switch to B and use the B output sent to another AD and "accentuate" any step.
To have a "perfect" switchable gated signal and avoid a delay on each step, you simply take the inverted output of the logic module.
Tried this out today - awesome! Pretty easy workaround and really nice to have that B output to affect something like decay time on the EG or give a touch more boost to an LPG or VCA. Nice one Robert!
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Post by batchas » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:28 pm

The switchable FULL outputs are also useful with Active Switches, acting as toggle, depending how many switches are on or off.

[video][/video]
Link:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm
Contact:

Post by syncretism » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Using this in tandem with the Radio Music and DDSR is lots of fun, indeed. I'm getting a lot more mileage out of the DDSR, now!

Post Reply

Return to “BugBrand Devices”