Slew / Lag

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Slew / Lag

Post by Tajnost » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Can't find anything on the web so decided to ask - is there a lag processor / slew limiter module in Bugbrand world or maybe there're ways to get such functionality with other modules?

No no! I don't need portamento lead out of BB, but want to make a "smooth", lfo-like modulation source out of from my sequencer.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:53 pm

According to the SynthVoice manual the; «Low-pass corresponds to integration and functions like a Voltage-Controlled Glide when resonance is set to minimum.» so I guess you could use one of the dual filters to smoothen out your stepped voltages :party:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 am

Yes, left-hand of Dual Filter can do some slew functioning in Sub range.

I did come up with a specific slew module a while back but it still has issues which I haven't been able to overcome. Shame 'cos it can also act as an oscillator.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:13 am

BugBrand wrote:Yes, left-hand of Dual Filter can do some slew functioning in Sub range.

I did come up with a specific slew module a while back but it still has issues which I haven't been able to overcome. Shame 'cos it can also act as an oscillator.
:omg:
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks for suggestions! I've just checked this with my older PRC3A filter.

It works. With Res and Freq on minimum it gives very fast "glide" type of effect in LP and NT filter modes. However, the lag time is too fast and don't let me do slow, "lfo-like" smoothing.

In that particular patch I have a random sequence running with clock devided by 9 = super slow, and it modulates some wavetable parameters in Orgone Accumulator, so the idea was to have very slow "endless random" modulations. But I came to another solution: just to mix seq cv with lfo / env cv clocked by the same sequencer. Works in different way, by provides quite nice results...

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Tajnost wrote:Thanks for suggestions! I've just checked this with my older PRC3A filter.

It works. With Res and Freq on minimum it gives very fast "glide" type of effect in LP and NT filter modes. However, the lag time is too fast and don't let me do slow, "lfo-like" smoothing.
You *might* be able to use a negative CV to bring the cutoff down below what the main knob allows - on the Dual Filter the Sub mode switches in larger filter caps to shift the range downwards.

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:05 pm

BugBrand wrote:You *might* be able to use a negative CV to bring the cutoff down below what the main knob allows - on the Dual Filter the Sub mode switches in larger filter caps to shift the range downwards.
Nice! Any tip where I can take constant negative CV in my BB rack?

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 pm

can you get/take a negative fixed offset/output from a joystick or something similar?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 am

Tends to be easier with the more recent designs which have attenuverting control inputs - in that case I'd often use a non-running clock divider active output (ie. if on it'll be at +10V).
Could run such through a 2 or 4 channel DC mixer to invert + mix with another modulation signal to adjust the slew.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 am

BugBrand wrote:Tends to be easier with the more recent designs which have attenuverting control inputs - in that case I'd often use a non-running clock divider active output (ie. if on it'll be at +10V).
Could run such through a 2 or 4 channel DC mixer to invert + mix with another modulation signal to adjust the slew.
Hah! What a great idea Tom!! Why haven’t I thought of that earlier :hmm:

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:25 am

BugBrand wrote:Tends to be easier with the more recent designs which have attenuverting control inputs - in that case I'd often use a non-running clock divider active output (ie. if on it'll be at +10V).
That’s an interesting idea: disable one of the dual dividers, hit “reset,” and it will stay high indefinitely while the other one, if active, divides incoming clock? Do I have that right? I think I saw that behavior when last I played with the divider, but this possibility eluded me. Now I have a latch voltage for logic modules. Pretty cool!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:24 am

Yes, you can switch off the right-hand divider by setting it's clock switch to the central/off position. Reset does indeed take the output(s) high.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”