A somewhat selfish list of things I'd like to see Tom make

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Re: A somewhat selfish list of things I'd like to see Tom make

Post by syncretism » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:31 am

I liked the flexibility of having three potential CV sources, rather than two. The CV sources and switches don’t control the slew limiters, which have no CV control - they’re for addressing, just like the Binary Block and DDSR.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood this:

I also don't understand how the switch relates to the sluggish (slewed control) VCAs.

Imagine you’re feeding an audio signal into the input. With that potentiometer at one extreme, the VCA in that row opens and closes immediately when the row is the active stage. When you change the rate, you get a fade in or out, and it’s possible to have audio coming out of more than one output (thanks to the modulated VCAs).

To make it behave like a 1:4 switch, you just set each slew limiter’s rate to its fastest value. Make sense?

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 am

I understand the slewing with the VCAs. Wasn't sure what the switch was doing but I think I get it now, the four to one switch turns on one of the four slew-VCA channels. That could be fun.

The Binary Block addresses 8 knobs. Two to the third is eight so three gates needed to address eight channels. For addressing one of four, only two gates are needed (like the old 2 Bit Bin Mux).
:nana: “Could only have been painted by a madman.”

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am

Right, but you can see that I'm associating two values with each row (000:100, eg) - this is solely because I want the fun and flexibility of having three CV sources (or trigger sources, or whatnot). Like one could be an AD envelope, one could be a sequencer's output, the third could be a pulse train.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:54 pm

Thanks, that explains a lot. I'd like to see the slew/VCA part of it as a separate 1u module.
:nana: “Could only have been painted by a madman.”

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:26 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:54 pm
Thanks, that explains a lot. I'd like to see the slew/VCA part of it as a separate 1u module.
We all want slew limiters. 🤣🤣🤣

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 pm

And noise sources
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am

Don’t remember if I’ve posted here or not, but a Clock VCO would be great - I passed on the Chirper because it was too big for what it was, but a 2FW module would be great. Ya, the noise / random / S&H stuff that is probably on it’s way. More FX - a phaser and return of the spring reverb! We live in hope. ;P

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 am

northerntao wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am
Don’t remember if I’ve posted here or not, but a Clock VCO would be great - I passed on the Chirper because it was too big for what it was, but a 2FW module would be great. Ya, the noise / random / S&H stuff that is probably on it’s way. More FX - a phaser and return of the spring reverb! We live in hope. ;P
Well I guess it’s a case of « different strokes for different folks»? I’ve never found the Chirper to be to big. Perfect size for extensive wiggling etc. :sb:
But of course if your use was as a clock VCO, well then I totaly agree ;)

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:34 pm

T. Jervell wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 am
Well I guess it’s a case of « different strokes for different folks»? I’ve never found the Chirper to be to big. Perfect size for extensive wiggling etc. :sb:
I’m trying to move away from stand-alone gear as much as possible abs concentrate on modular or at least rack mountable. I have a DRM1x and 2 in my frames, but the Chirper is largely redundant for me.

Besides, I have a first class drone machine that isn’t dissimilar to the Chirper. A Drone Commander 2e and expander - the Eurorack edition. Two oscillators and filter, but with an additional filter, as well as a VCA and preamp. I hate to use the word beast, but it really is a beast.

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 pm

northerntao wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:34 pm
T. Jervell wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 am
I’m trying to move away from stand-alone gear as much as possible abs concentrate on modular or at least rack mountable. I have a DRM1x and 2 in my frames, but the Chirper is largely redundant for me.

Besides, I have a first class drone machine that isn’t dissimilar to the Chirper. A Drone Commander 2e and expander - the Eurorack edition. Two oscillators and filter, but with an additional filter, as well as a VCA and preamp. I hate to use the word beast, but it really is a beast.
Cool! That sounds like loads of fun :tu:

freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Hoping there’s both a stand-alone red version and a smaller blue version of the dual phaser!
WANT TO BUY:
Bugbrand - CTL-1, Spring Tanker
Bugbrand/Scrotum Lab - Grille/Grilles, Radio Music, Le Seq/Le Seqx, Tresses

Return to “BugBrand Devices”