A somewhat selfish list of things I'd like to see Tom make

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A somewhat selfish list of things I'd like to see Tom make

Post by GryphonP3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 am

Some simple utilities like quad attenuverters would be very welcome as well .. maybe with offset like the serge dual process.
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am

And some kind of wave SHAPER would be quite handy to go with those new quadrature VCOs :D actually a quadrature vco with variable waveshaper before the phase taps would be especially awesome .. but i suppose that design has already been concluded :p

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 am

BugBrand wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am
lud wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 am
Would be interesting to see something made of the "bus" function switches offered on the DDSR and some other modules. Maybe a clock module too if it could offer more than a standard clock source like looping envelope or LFO
Pops to mind semi-regularly and then slips back out again..
Likely a Saw-core VCO - I mean, when I did the Clockbox proto (before ripping most of it up!) I had a reasonable Dual Clock in 3FW - what I'm aiming towards (not very quickly!) is a single in 2FW with, yes, various useful bits included.
Fingers crossed you crack that Tom. The system has a lot of clock sources anyway I suppose - would love to use the bus functionality with the DDSR to be able to flick between that and an external clock though!

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 pm

GryphonP3 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am
And some kind of wave SHAPER would be quite handy to go with those new quadrature VCOs :D actually a quadrature vco with variable waveshaper before the phase taps would be especially awesome .. but i suppose that design has already been concluded :p
Not exactly what you are wishing for but the Dual VCA does have a 4 stage wave folder.

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:31 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 pm
GryphonP3 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am
Not exactly what you are wishing for but the Dual VCA does have a 4 stage wave folder.
I have the old blue wavefolders, but folding gives very different results to shaping, especially when it comes to LFOs

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 am

There are two techniques you can use using linear FM self-feedback though I can't fully remember the steps for the 2nd..
1st is just to self-feedback with linear FM - you can stick a VCA in the loop of course.
The other way involves ring-mod for freq-doubling and then self-modulation again, but think I'm forgetting a step.
Picked up these techniques off Rob Hordijk

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:24 am

BugBrand wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 am
There are two techniques you can use using linear FM self-feedback though I can't fully remember the steps for the 2nd..
1st is just to self-feedback with linear FM - you can stick a VCA in the loop of course.
The other way involves ring-mod for freq-doubling and then self-modulation again, but think I'm forgetting a step.
Are you suggesting this for waveshaping the quadrature vco? Linear FM will change the rate of an LFO pretty drastically, no? It wouldn't be able to give you sine-tri-saw for instance. Something like the "wave" output of the old blue vcos with quadrature tapped LFO outputs would be a phenominal modulation source. But i am making a moot point, that module looks like its finalized :)

Neovintage
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Neovintage » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:09 am

GryphonP3 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:24 am
BugBrand wrote:
Are you suggesting this for waveshaping the quadrature vco? Linear FM will change the rate of an LFO pretty drastically, no? It wouldn't be able to give you sine-tri-saw for instance. Something like the "wave" output of the old blue vcos with quadrature tapped LFO outputs would be a phenominal modulation source. But i am making a moot point, that module looks like its finalized :)
Check this out

thehordijkmodular.blogspot.fr

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm

I was thinking what I really miss in my BB rack, and came to idea that the things I really like and would use a lot in my music are great sounding Phaser and Frequency Shifter. Would b lovely.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 am

I got stuck on the Phase design... squeezed something nice into 1FW (similar lines to current PT module) but turns out there needed to be another stage of inversion on the feedback path - haven't had the insight to figure how to sort this... (slightly thought change again to 2FW ... add more etc..) - Anyway, sounded pretty great already -- but built it already a good few months ago (so designs go!)
FS is trying to move forwards too (2fw - some interesting new bits compared with the orig one!)

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri May 01, 2020 5:22 am

2fw phaser = 2 individual phasers or 1 phaser with lots of options?

Also what new bits are you thinking on the freq shifter? That is very intriguing to me!!

As always - my want list goes 1) noise source 2) phaser. and now 3) comparator & pos/neg slew modules. That is all :-).

Oh and yeah, some sort of super duper update to the CTL1 though no ideas personally as to what that would entail as I love them exactly as they are and I could do with another. Being able to chain 2 into 8 steps or integrating a sequential switch to go between rows on a single output might be neat, but I use them way more for preset voltage and tactile playing than sequencing. Or, making it double wide with touch points on one side and outputs and knobs on the other, with the touchpoints being vertically longer and including another set of outputs for vertical position top to bottom 0-10v like a fader would be cool.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri May 01, 2020 5:35 am

Thinking on 5FW Touch - vaguely... like lots of ideas!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 am

Loving the touch pads on the newer joystick touch Tom, somehow seem a bit more responsive than the old CTL 1 ones (but I don't have one any longer to compare)

Holding out hope for a new touch controller (with the built in sequencer again?) - even better with switch and slew modules to complement!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri May 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Thinking on 5FW Touch - vaguely... like lots of ideas!
Great direction! Maybe with fewer rows but more manual controls. Ways to use touch to put a little spin on things. Touch pads to momentarily goose the CV up or down a little. Per-stage on-off-on toggles to enable trigger to A or B bus outputs. How about two rows each with a separate clock so you can have 6 against 8 and other rhythmic fun.
:w00t:
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Fri May 01, 2020 1:47 pm

5FW Touch sounds lovely!
I second BananaPlug's ideas, especially like the idea of toggle switch A/B bus outputs.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:36 am

Neovintage wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:09 am
GryphonP3 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:24 am
BugBrand wrote:
Check this out

Wow, fantastic info. I was not aware of this cosine feedback to linear FM trick for waveshaping. This thru a modulated VCA into linear index will create some great morphing quad LFOs within the bug :)

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am

What I find really useful in the system is the Noise Crusher. Noise, S/H can be very useful to bring some random. I use in all my patches to make variations.
Here's a simple ex. with Grilles and sound from DRM1 + Expander. S/H to control the hihat rhythm.
Up to 8 seconds without S/H signal coming in from Noise Crusher, from 8 sec with S/H:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Fri May 08, 2020 2:12 pm

batchas wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am
What I find really useful in the system is the Noise Crusher. Noise, S/H can be very useful to bring some random. I use in all my patches to make variations.
Here's a simple ex. with Grilles and sound from DRM1 + Expander. S/H to control the hihat rhythm.
Up to 8 seconds without S/H signal coming in from Noise Crusher, from 8 sec with S/H:
Yes yes yes new noisecrusher pleeeeease.

Current Bugs frame:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Mon May 11, 2020 11:38 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 am
FS is trying to move forwards too (2fw - some interesting new bits compared with the orig one!)
:love: trying to move forwards :w00t: interesting new bits
Can’t wait to see Tom!!!

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 pm

A kind of DUSG from Serge world or euro Maths would be amazing, but it’s from the science fiction section...

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Noise + S&H is the obvious one. Sequencer and frequency shifter would be great.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm

chrisdermo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:37 am
GryphonP3 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:27 am
Noise source is at the absolute top of my list for bugbrand.
:yay:
:tu:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 am

An analog shift register to pair with DDSR, with similar recirc function.

A 4-in, 4-out switch that cycles / reassigns the input-output permutations. (The order of the output assignments being CV controlled.)

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 am

How about a theremin controller as two separate modules, to sit at the extreme ends of frame for the left/ right hand gestures :hihi:
Semi joking of course. I imagine there’s probably a ton of interference issues doing this in modular otherwise there would have been something like that in Euro before?

Still super jonesing for that noise source / noisecrusher.

Current Bugs frame:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:47 am

chrisdermo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 am
I imagine there’s probably a ton of interference issues doing this in modular otherwise there would have been something like that in Euro before?
I remember the Doepfer A-178 being ok for this kind of control.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Return to “BugBrand Devices”