Processing/Feedback system

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

shred
desperation tentacle

Processing/Feedback system

Post by shred » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:03 am

Had a dream last night that I had a "coffee table book" which had huge, full page spreads of all Bug, S Labs, and Banana Frac modules with detailed descriptions on system configurations and technical notes. It was a really nice dream (which I don't have many of).

Anyway, the new Matrix Mixer showed up a few days ago and it's fantastic! I had hoped it would, but didn't expect how much it would, open up my relatively small system. It's been a joy to use and has quickly become the backbone of every patch. I've always tended to gravitate towards processing type systems in previous modular setups and it seems like this will be no different.

As much as I love the Chirper I'm thinking it may get swapped out. An obvious replacement would be the CrossOver Filter and forthcoming expander, but my outboard mixer isn't large enough to be able to accommodate all of the individual outputs. Another option would be to replace the Chirper with other modulation (another Dual Env, Binary Block, or DDSR for example).

I've got 1FW space left but I'm contemplating how to really optimize these 3 frames for processing/feedback. What changes would you make? I'm really curious to hear from other Bug users. I'm going to keep it at 3 frames for the foreseeable future.

current config:
1 SynthVoice
Chirper
DRM2
PTDelay
JoyTouch
Dual Preamp
IMG_3702.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: Processing/Feedback system

Post by BugBrand » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:40 am

Ha to the dream - brilliant!
I also sometimes waver around the Chirper (in most ways it is anyways very similar to 2 x CVCO and half a Dual Filter) - wondered both about a more tricked-out version and/or a more compact version --- I do like having the cross-modulated oscillators, though equally often think about a module combining 3 simple oscs together...

Once I get a new batch of Dual Filters I'll be putting together my own Processing 2Frame - aiming to have 2 x Dual Preamp (as I want to mix 3 drum machines with guitar), filters etc and then mixing via a Matrix.. Will show once I've moved the ideas forward.

Future ideas:
- maybe phaser if I move it forward.
- likewise, if I get a new Freq-Shift to go with the QuadSine, that's great for processing!

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am

BugBrand wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:40 am
I also sometimes waver around the Chirper (in most ways it is anyways very similar to 2 x CVCO and half a Dual Filter) - wondered both about a more tricked-out version and/or a more compact version -
One thing you don’t get with two CVCO’s, and which is one of my favorite features is the wiiide sweepable span from LFO -> audio rates without using switches, though. It is a very, very nice feature when playing the Chirper. But I see your point Tom. That being said. I still absolutely LOVE my Chirper :love: It is still the red beating heart of my modular :loves:
I like the idea of a «new» version. Perhaps a cross between Chirper and Weevil, and maybe some track&hold/shift registrer packed into it?!? :hyper:

Crossing my fingers there’ll be a FreqShift expander and Phaser in the future. Those two and a Matrix mixer (saving up) and my system will be complete... (well I’ve said that many times before so we’ll see... :hihi: )

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:40 am

Oh! And lovely system shred!! :tu:

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:20 pm

You seem to have most of the currently available stuff - I highly recommend the LPG, logic and quadrature sine for audio processing and general fun! Maybe keep the PT delay or chirper standalone?

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:22 pm

The crossover expander would be amazing with the matrix I'm guessing so you perhaps wouldn't have to worry about external mixing there - certainly be awesome in a processing system

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Processing external sounds is always a big considering when I am putting a system together.
Here is where I will be after I get a package this week (minus dual env):
The top row is actually stuff in smaller individual cases.
So far, my Bugs is a Serge expander, external sound processor but is moving towards being a standalone system. I have a bass that outputs a mono signal from each of the two pickups so being able to do cool stuff to that bass is a priority. Running samples through the modular in order to resample is always a win too.

The Quadrature Sine Oscillator would provide some nice modulation. The Matrix Mixer is a must for my goals. A Phaser and Freq Shifter would put me over the moon!

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Quad Sine is now definitely on my list, and probably LPG, Dual Divide, and maybe Logic. I might hold on to the Chirper a little longer, I do like how immediate it is. And I agree with you, T. Jervell, it's very nice to have oscillators quickly moving from LFO to OSC range.

Nice system, Deltaphoenix! I do lust after a PEQ from time to time :love:
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

Return to “BugBrand Devices”