BugBrand "Easel"

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

BugBrand "Easel"

Post by Tajnost » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Recently I finally got myself Buchla Music Easel (with midi and "normal" cv / gate outs via LEM 218 ) and of course, start to use it together with the BugBrand system I have (old blues + amazing Scrotum modules ). I really impressed with how much you can do live with such a controller as Buchla 218 touch keyboard and what a great pleasure to control a bigger system with it.

So I wanted to ask Tom, maybe he has some plans to do a long-awaited new sequencer panel, and maybe it's a great idea to do it as a touch keyboard, include sequencer (a la SEQ1 ) and arpeggiator for total control + additional touch panel + jotstick. BugBrand was always one of the best live modular systems for me, so this idea could fit easily into this conception of a live instrument.

Also together with a Synth Voice, it could b a very nice "easel like" instrument.

What community think about it?

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Re: BugBrand "Easel"

Post by numan7 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 pm

:tu: i think that (and also perhaps a nifty little blue leatherette :bugbrand: logo attache case to hold the modules) sounds splendid!

cheers
"all the clouds turn to words. all the words float in sequence. no one knows what they mean. everyone just ignores them..."

mIgmOd
Common Wiggler

Post by mIgmOd » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 am

I’m actually having way more fun with my maxed out 2Frame than I ever had with my easel. Although I do still use two 200e modules (206e for cv controlled panning and 222e for infrared control). For me, the 2Frame IS the BugBrand Easel. I find the DDSR/Penrose combo way more inspiring than an arpeggiator, and the joystick way more versatile than a keyboard. That said, the Easel is a beautiful instrument.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:18 am

Well, I've really slid back into fully modular approaches whereas a few years ago I was thinking I'd be going the pre-configured frames route..

The ideas to revisit old modules like the SEQ1 & CTL1 have definitely been present - I got someway through a new 8step seq last year, somewhat similar, somewhat different, but don't expect completion anytime soon to be honest!

I do think a lot of mileage can come from external controllers/etc -- an approach of use what you can, what exists already (while not getting too consumed by gear acquisition!). Never tried a 218 but sure it'd be fun.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am

I just got a nice deal on a TKB for my Serge. I am thinking about putting the TKB + my panel with Klee Sequencer in Serge format together with cheeks and being able to set them in front of my Bugs or Serge (or even my Buchla) for a nice touch control/sequencer experience.

Having said that, of course I want to see what else Tom has in store for touch/sequencing control too.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 am

I actually attempted to make an 'easel' out of BugBrand modules a few months back, and really enjoyed the results.

to do it all in a 2framer does require some lateral thinking (how can I get a ring mod in currently available modules? Ah! XOR logic, etc), and I thought a PTdelay was much more appropriate for a BugBrand easel than a spring reverb (despite the 'spring tanker's existence).

I actually found the constrictions of these 2 frames to be super productive for me. Must do again soon. It's little systems like this that really benefit from the older 1fw utility modules (DD1!), despite their less ergonomic designs.
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:34 pm

chrisdermo wrote:how can I get a ring mod in currently available modules?
I noted one way with the Dual VCA module in the Synthvoice PDF - https://bugbrand.co.uk/docs/SynthVoice_Instructions.pdf
Multiplier module (AD633 based) is nearly ready for board production too.. 1FW

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:34 pm

How well does the 218 work with the BB system? My Serge 8 step programmer works very well indeed (only 0-5v but no problem for "normal" sequencing duties).

That said at a moment of weakness and financial need I sold my CTL1 which I regret now. That was a very enjoyable module that would have been enhanced even more with a 3 way switch to potentially turn it into a 12 step sequencer. I would love to have that - be amazing if you could link them from the back to make an 8 pad setup as well.

I agree with migmod though that the DDSR + BBV + joy touch is the bee's knees though and enough for great exploration. Not sure what else the music easel has really but the BB current LPG is the best I've had and I find arpeggiators bit boring in the modular context.

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 am

BugBrand wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:34 pm
I noted one way with the Dual VCA module in the Synthvoice PDF - https://bugbrand.co.uk/docs/SynthVoice_Instructions.pdf
Multiplier module (AD633 based) is nearly ready for board production too.. 1FW
Hot damn I forgot that one! For the lay man (i.e. me) what does AD633 based mean in comparison to to the Dual VCA method in the manual?

Current Bugs frame:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 am

lud wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Not sure what else the music easel has really but the BB current LPG is the best I've had and I find arpeggiators bit boring in the modular context.
I think I based mine on:

2 oscillators
2 LPGs
1 wave folder
5 step sequencer with individual step - gate outs
1 clock
1 envelope
1 ring mod
1 spring reverb
1 preset voltage
1 'keyboard' with preset voltage, pressure, gate outputs
1 envelope follower
1 'random' sample and hold in a few different flavours (stepped, slewed and more?)

It's a neat set of tools, but as I mentioned on instagram, when you start putting this together with Bug modules you wind up with an instrument that is far more fully featured and versatile in it's modularity and sonic potential than the Buchla easel.

Current Bugs frame:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:11 am

chrisdermo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 am
Hot damn I forgot that one! For the lay man (i.e. me) what does AD633 based mean in comparison to to the Dual VCA method in the manual?
It is a specific Multiplier chip and can be trimmed so there is no bleed through - you can just about achieve that on the Dual VCA method but it is a little tweaky. But for simple sonics it works just great!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 am

Is the old blue Modulator AD633 based as well Tom?

Looking forward to hearing more about the new design!

Main problem with configuring an easel type setup with bug modules is stopping at only 2 frames once you've been collecting for a while and more great stuff comes out! Can see the appeal of a compact setup for sure but hard to resist the allure of the matrix mixer etc (although I think that would excel standalone)

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 am

Also it's 3u not 4u so maybe 3 rows is acceptable :hihi:

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 am

lud wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 am
Also it's 3u not 4u so maybe 3 rows is acceptable :hihi:
3 frames is a very comfortable set up for deep diving for me. 2 frames is nice and immediate to get making/writing within minutes.

Current Bugs frame:

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 am

I'd say 2Frames is the nice compact approach with a good balance of limitations vs possibilities - that's what I always view as important in an instrument, even if I've never tried an Easel.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”