My first BugBrand patch!

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

samule.edmoon
Learning to Wiggle

My first BugBrand patch!

Post by samule.edmoon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:25 am

I bought my system nearly 2 months ago but it took forever to get here because of COVID. I finally got to sit down and have a play last night.

I was really impressed by the look, feel and sound quality of the modules! Whats even more impressive is how sweet it sounds. Is there anything BUT sweet spots in this thing?

Top row is a Synth Voice and the bottom has:

Binary Block Voltage (not used here)
Penrose
DDSR
Dual Divide
LPG
PT Delay
Joystick/Touch (not in the case because of space)

This patch uses only 1 oscillator and the other 2 voices come from dividing down at audio rate with the Dual Divide and I process and gate those voices differently!

I hope you take the time to listen and please share any patch ideas/tips you think someone that is new to Bug should try out. Can’t wait to hear more from the family here and to share more as well 🖤

Jae

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Re: My first BugBrand patch!

Post by Tajnost » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Nice!

First time I hear it is possible to devide audio signals, need to try it out tonight!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Tajnost wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:05 pm
First time I hear it is possible to devide audio signals, need to try it out tonight!
Yeah and no matter the waveform of your audio signal at the input, you 'll get a square signal at the output of a clock divider.

/2 => 1 octave lower etc etc.

If you have a CLK2A, you can try with different outputs going into a mixer and get a chord.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

phisynth
banana nabab

Post by phisynth » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Very nice patch ! Congrats on the new system, and enjoy !

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Nice video - the bugs look beautiful next to those oto boxes. Enjoy your new system!

samule.edmoon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by samule.edmoon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm

lud wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm
Nice video - the bugs look beautiful next to those oto boxes. Enjoy your new system!
phisynth wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm
Very nice patch ! Congrats on the new system, and enjoy !
Thanks! It’ll be hard not to enjoy it. It’s a A very special box I feel 🖤

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:23 pm

killer blue system

hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler

Post by hollunderkurve » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 pm

looks and sounds great! I have also been messing around quite a bit with the divide at audio rates recently - lots of fun

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Very nice. I’ve requested a very similar system from Tom (without the Joystick and Divide, but with a dual preamp to and room for a Orgone Accumulator). Have fun!

samule.edmoon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by samule.edmoon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:01 pm

hollunderkurve wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 pm
looks and sounds great! I have also been messing around quite a bit with the divide at audio rates recently - lots of fun
Yeah it’s coming in handy having only one “sequencer” in the case. I jumped on the Batchas sale and grabbed a Le Seq though so that should open things up a little 😃
northerntao wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:01 pm
Very nice. I’ve requested a very similar system from Tom (without the Joystick and Divide, but with a dual preamp to and room for a Orgone Accumulator). Have fun!
That’ll be an amazing system! I’m really missing some kind of random personally, so hopefully something like that comes up eventually. I don’t want to expand either as I like small systems but I’ve fallen hard and fast for the Bug stuff. Brilliant 🖤

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 am

samule.edmoon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:25 am
My first BugBrand patch!
Excellent :yay:

Great how it sounds. It seems to marry perfectly to the oto boxes :sb:
It shows very well the potential of such a compact system and also how much the quantizer amongst other modules is useful.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:36 am

No chance to watch yet, but glad to see/hear!
I like what I've encountered of OTO!
DDSR is great for audio rate work by the way - reminded when testing the last batch - chiptune wonders.
I'm quite happy with the sort of 2Frame setups, synthvoice + a row --- though somehow I seem to mentally sideline the BBV.

samule.edmoon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by samule.edmoon » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:09 pm

batchas wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 am
samule.edmoon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:25 am
My first BugBrand patch!
Excellent :yay:

Great how it sounds. It seems to marry perfectly to the oto boxes :sb:
It shows very well the potential of such a compact system and also how much the quantizer amongst other modules is useful.
The only thing that’s gonna make it a little stronger is that Le Seq I ordered! I can’t wait to see how it integrates 🖤
BugBrand wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:36 am
No chance to watch yet, but glad to see/hear!
I like what I've encountered of OTO!
DDSR is great for audio rate work by the way - reminded when testing the last batch - chiptune wonders.
I'm quite happy with the sort of 2Frame setups, synthvoice + a row --- though somehow I seem to mentally sideline the BBV.
Well, it’s easy to see how tight of a community this Bug stuff is. Incredible.

I’ve got the OTO trio and have had 2 of them for awhile now. Absolutely adore them. I can’t record a track without BOUM at the end these days 😂

Super excited to dig into the DDSR at audio rate! Awesome idea and thanks for the heads up. The DDSR is probably my favourite “non-Audio” module of the batch I have and doesn’t feel tooooo foreign coming from the Plumbutter 2.

Happy I finally found your work Tom 🐛

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm

I was eyeing the Boum, but ended up going with the BugBrand Stereo Compress, because I was largely just looking for and end of chain compressor. If I didn’t have an Analog Heat, and performed live (I do play guitar live in a rock band with a bit of synth) with my modular, I’d be all over the Boum.

Heard good things about the delay and reverb (Bim / Bam) but I’m covered there too.

Maybe I’ll slap together a video using the DRM2 as a synth voice. Planning on using my Beatstep Pro and my lowly Cirklon (hehe) for sequencing duties for now, but the Penrose and DDSR should provide a lot avenues of variation.

samule.edmoon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by samule.edmoon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 pm

northerntao wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm
I was eyeing the Boum, but ended up going with the BugBrand Stereo Compress, because I was largely just looking for and end of chain compressor. If I didn’t have an Analog Heat, and performed live (I do play guitar live in a rock band with a bit of synth) with my modular, I’d be all over the Boum.

Heard good things about the delay and reverb (Bim / Bam) but I’m covered there too.

Maybe I’ll slap together a video using the DRM2 as a synth voice. Planning on using my Beatstep Pro and my lowly Cirklon (hehe) for sequencing duties for now, but the Penrose and DDSR should provide a lot avenues of variation.
I definitely drool over the Stereo Compress. Maybe some day.

I can’t say BOUM is a must if you’ve got a Heat. I was debating between the 2 but chose BOUM because it seemed a little more simple and I wanted a simpler end of chain thing as well though you have any option covered now 😂👍

Return to “BugBrand Devices”