Audio Patchbay for chirper CV/ground?

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Audio Patchbay for chirper CV/ground?

Post by bmot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 am

Rookie question, as I'm just setting up a Patchbay for the first time. Can I safely patch the Chirper's ground and CV into a Patchbay for easier switching between modulation sources? I'll keep it patched to the SE Engine sequencer as it is now (works great), but I thought if I can patch the Chirper's ground and mod inputs to the Patchbay, and connect the external mod sources to that ground on the bay, I'll be able to connect more than one source to the ground and therefore have an easier way to use multiple simultaneous sources for modulation. Do you see any problems here (aside from lengthy sentence construction!)?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Audio Patchbay for chirper CV/ground?

Post by batchas » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17 am

bmot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 am
Rookie question, as I'm just setting up a Patchbay for the first time. Can I safely patch the Chirper's ground and CV into a Patchbay for easier switching between modulation sources?
You want to send signals from a sequencer with 1/4" plugs to the chirper, do I understand correctly (I don't know SE Engine sequencer)?

What kind of patchbay is it?
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:25 am

Shouldn't be a problem - but you never quite know..
As long as you can manage to tie the 0Vs together on the patchbay for the chirper connections.
Do report back what you find out.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's a Behringer something 3000, which has normal, half normal and thru switches. The SE Engine has 8x2 rows of CV/gate, a really useful and well designed sequencer. I'd like to tie the ground of chirper to several sources do I can use the Engine for CV/gate, and random other things for modulation. I'll give it a try when I'm back from holiday and will for sure report back to say if it works ok. I should also add that I am not using any modular setup, I have a selection of semi modular / desktop CV (and a few midi) instruments.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:40 am

bmot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 pm
I'll give it a try when I'm back from holiday and will for sure report back to say if it works ok.
The chirper is only banana, right?
So you know how to connect the 0V banana from the chirper to one 1/4" plug on your patchbay connected to the sequencer (split cable for instance)? I thought this was the question.
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 am

batchas wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:40 am
bmot wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 pm
I'll give it a try when I'm back from holiday and will for sure report back to say if it works ok.
The chirper is only banana, right?
So you know how to connect the 0V banana from the chirper to one 1/4" plug on your patchbay connected to the sequencer (split cable for instance)? I thought this was the question.
Yes exactly, and I do have the right cables and splitter plugs already. I wasn't sure if splitting would cause any issue with the integrity of the signal Tom also advised me before that all instruments connected to the chirper would need to be grounded to it, so I was thinking through how to do that with the Patchbay. It's harder as I'm away right now so nothing is in front of me to visualize

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 am

bmot wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 am
Yes exactly, and I do have the right cables and splitter plugs already.
Great! Then you're good to go :tu:
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Return to “BugBrand Devices”