polyphony / 2 synth voices?

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

polyphony / 2 synth voices?

Post by /\/\/\/ » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:13 am

Anyone ventured much into polysynth territory using their BugBrand system? The BugBrand VCOs sound absolutely great together, but I feel there's a certain limit to how many voices I can patch up without being sort of overwhelmed by the number of cables (just making audio connections, as opposed to a complex patch with lots of modulation).

One thought was maybe DC mixing everything down:
6 oscs > 2 DC Mix > Dual Filter > Dual VCA (thus making it more like dual pad / chord-only voices).

I mean... it can be done, I suppose I'm just looking for thoughts/experiences on what worked or didn't work for you. Also this is with the thought of having everything in tune (some of the time) ;)

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: polyphony / 2 synth voices?

Post by BugBrand » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:50 am

Yup on the too many wires...
The two orig SynthVoices I have always tried to have set for the old Roland 184 keyboard I have (4 voice controller) - sounds LUSH but definitely highlights that more directed voice modules could make things a lot more streamlined.
But that's always the push/pull - keep things as building blocks or combine into bigger blocks - both ways 'right'!

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm

I've always favored the two synth voice approach, partly because I only have a SynthVoice and with some Reds and also partly because I use my Octatrack for midi->cv and I use the CV.OCD which generates two pitch/gate signals very easily. From there it's just traditional routing into Filters and VCAs and I tend to use the other VCO, Envelopes, and Chirper for fun modulation.

Another thing which is nice is sending the same pitch cv to an OSC and also to the DRM2 and tuning the DRM2 down at an interval. Not precise, of course, but I've been super happy with those results.

I think a big thing to consider is where or how you're generating pitch cv, and then build the patch around the hardwear options which are available.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:38 am

Lush is the word.

This time around, I used the DRM2 as a processor: 4 VCOs into Dual Mix (using DC inputs to combine two of them) and then sending the 1/4" line out to the DRM2 external input. (Plus 2 other VCOs in 'traditional' VCF-VCA route.) Pitch CV and gates from the CV.OCD (also a fan of this box!)

Here's a sample:
PolyBugs.mp3
(3.38 MiB) Not downloaded yet

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 am

:yay: :yay: :yay: veryyyy nice
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

kosta
Common Wiggler

Post by kosta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 am

Space is the place. That sounds great /\/\/\/.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”