Multiplying clock in BB

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Multiplying clock in BB

Post by Tajnost » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 am

I’m using really slow LFO (vco in lfo mode) to modulate Orgone, at the same time there’s second pulse vco out which I can use to trig the sequencer. So the question is: is there any way to multiply the pulse to make it play 16x or 64x or even faster?

phisynth
banana nabab

Re: Multiplying clock in BB

Post by phisynth » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:14 pm

if you feed the LFO (tri or saw - won't work with the pulse) into a wave folder, you can multiply the trig signal in sync with the original rate, but I don't think it will allow for precise and equal divisions. Interesting though for generating rhythms

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:23 pm

phisynth wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:14 pm
if you feed the LFO (tri or saw - won't work with the pulse) into a wave folder, you can multiply the trig signal in sync with the original rate, but I don't think it will allow for precise and equal divisions. Interesting though for generating rhythms
Thanks will try it at least. The idea in this patch was to get precise division, but I guess the best (any maybe the only ) way to achieve it is to use fast master clock and then send it to dual divide (it has an option to divide input with one block and then divide its output once again with the second block, so super slow movements are possible ), and then just sync the lfo to it.

Probably for a rock solid super slow modulations it would be reasonable to get proper complex eurorack lfo and just use it with BB.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:37 pm

I like using a slower division as clock to leave a quicker pulse or 2 if needed (as you mention) on a standard clock divider like the old bugbrand one

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 am

I always wanted to do PLL+Divider which is meant to act as a multiplier but.. you know.. time passes etc etc.
There's, unfortunately, nothing particularly accurate - you might be able to get something with syncing (eg looped env) but likely to be tweaky..

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 am

I'd try like Tom said with AD in loop mode.
I do this from time to time when I have a regular clock (constant freq). Worth a try, even if not 100% accurate. It depends.
Sorry I can't show in better quality or longer (connection too slow) + no time for this now. Forget the patch cable going to the attack which remains from my previous session.
Higher pitched tone is the multiplicated signal. 4x and 5x.
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

DickMarker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DickMarker » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 am

I think it is always easiest to work backwards from a slow division as a master clock as mentioned above or tweaking some sort of sync between two LFOs but...

I can describe one patch that can double your clock speed - trouble is it is resource intensive and you'll only get x2 multiplication - nonetheless, someone might find it fun to experiment with anyway so here goes:
Take a slow LFO and set the shape of the wave to halfway between triangle and square on the CVCO.
Patch up the Dual Amplifier into a ringmod as described in the Synthvoice manual, and patch the slow LFO output into both VCA signal and cv inputs.
To demonstrate the doubling, patch the original LFO into the gate of one envelope and the output of the ringmod (ie the output of the DC mixer) into the other envelope's gate - you'll see one is firing x 2 compared to the other.
Might also work with Tom's new Multiplier module instead of the VCA ringmod patch, can't test that as I don't have one.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:51 am

Nice suggestions, thank you all!

Return to “BugBrand Devices”