PEQ

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:15 pm

I should certainly say that this is a very early idea with absolutely no promise of anything actually coming out soon or far off. Even a quick design takes nearly a year to reach production and this is just some toe-dipping to see how the electronics work and feel (result, as I said, was disappointment but that gives a lot of work potential).

I also envisage this as a studio-processor (ie. like my red designs) rather than a pure modular design (ie. like blue designs) - filling a particular production need - kind of a master EQ but with less complicated insides than the PEQ ideas I've been mentioning above..

Perhaps the bananas confuse things and I'm not sure I'd really want/need them personally - they are kind of a bi-product of these stereo-eq designs as everything is Voltage controlled internally so that you can gang controls (while note using ridiculous custom multigang pots etc).

I could, though, see this going a different way - a more modular approach - with lots of things 'broken' out. Would fill a full frame in no time...
I doubt I'd do an expander for a red design though.. I see these as different areas in general.

I never really understood all the concepts within the 296 (never really tried). Could sure be interesting with env-follows etc, but that seems to me like a different design brief.

PS - all my banana designs expect a 10V p-to-p signal as standard (but most things are accepted just fine)

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:08 pm

for me this unit having jack ins and banana cv's makes plenty of sense. i love the idea of a stereo unit that i can run full program material into and warp the shit out of it with VC per band that i plug into all manner of modular sources. the potential for this in my mind is nearly limitless, especially when i think of it in terms of a twisted "remix" tool.

looking forward to developments on this puppy.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:22 am

Interesting piece of equipment. Nice work.
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm

looks very interesting Tom!

I agree with below as well, hook up one of your joysticks to this and it'd be a great live remix tool.
dogoftears wrote:for me this unit having jack ins and banana cv's makes plenty of sense. i love the idea of a stereo unit that i can run full program material into and warp the shit out of it with VC per band that i plug into all manner of modular sources. the potential for this in my mind is nearly limitless, especially when i think of it in terms of a twisted "remix" tool.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:55 am

Maybe I *should* look into vocoder designs (some parts would likely be similar)
Should also do a multi-band resonator - BPs based on the SV-core.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:39 am

Multiband resonator has been one of my bug dreams since um, I sold my res4! As for bananas if it is in there bringing it to the front makes sense to me.

bennettvfx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bennettvfx » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:57 am

Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a Bugbrand PEQ, has any one got one for sale or know of where I can source one? Any info would be amazing, thanks!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:02 am

I've still got boards for more - but exactly when I'll do up another batch I can't fully say right now. Sometime Jan-Mar 2017 most likely.

Join the mailing list via The Bug Contact Page if you haven't already.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Hey Tom, I know you hinted at a stereo version of the PEQ in the future, and I know the answer of this is probably, "Too early to know," but figured I'd ask if that's still on the burner, and will that be a new design or essentially just two PEQs in a 6U box? :)

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:17 pm

I highly recommend the "two PEQs in a 6U box". I'm on a mixing mission till early January when I am likely going to have to sell my Chandler Curve Bender but I've been using it with a pair of PEQ's and JLM Pultec type EQ's for a while now and the PEQ's easily integrate with the others.

The only thing I wish the PEQ had was a mix (wet/dry) control so I could fade in more extreme settings (used more with mono signals) but I get around that with another pedal within a loop setup.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:04 pm

indexofmetals wrote:I highly recommend the "two PEQs in a 6U box". I'm on a mixing mission till early January when I am likely going to have to sell my Chandler Curve Bender but I've been using it with a pair of PEQ's and JLM Pultec type EQ's for a while now and the PEQ's easily integrate with the others.

The only thing I wish the PEQ had was a mix (wet/dry) control so I could fade in more extreme settings (used more with mono signals) but I get around that with another pedal within a loop setup.
wire it as an fx send on your mixer?
or use 2 dacs/2adcs (not sure how your mixing-- ITB, analog, combo, etc)
it's not typical to use an EQ in parallel so i wouldn't call it an essential feature. that said i do like to use colored EQ's/extreme EQ settings in that very way. i've got a few ways to run parallel over here.

how do you like the curve bender? i have a bunch of EQ's, but my fave right now is the Hendyamps Michelangelo... which I'm mostly using in parallel.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 am

rowsbywoof wrote:Hey Tom, I know you hinted at a stereo version of the PEQ in the future, and I know the answer of this is probably, "Too early to know," but figured I'd ask if that's still on the burner, and will that be a new design or essentially just two PEQs in a 6U box? :)
I'm still dragging my heels on it because it is way more complex than 2 PEQs in one box. I pretty much know how to do the circuitry, but the design is massive and needs real focus to progress.

Still slightly wondering whether I do it with full voltage control as standard (in which case it'd likely be a full 11FW unit) or have a VC-expander option (eg. 6FW main unit and 5FW expander).

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:30 am

I also have a pair I use on the master bus- it's an incredible eq. Voltage control is interesting but not for that purpose imho- would make it a different beast: still interesting but not overly suited to the uses I am most aware of people loving this for. With that in mind Id suggest expander for CV.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:14 am

tIB wrote:I also have a pair I use on the master bus- it's an incredible eq. Voltage control is interesting but not for that purpose imho- would make it a different beast: still interesting but not overly suited to the uses I am most aware of people loving this for. With that in mind Id suggest expander for CV.
Yeah, that's along my line of thinking in many ways.
The key is that the stereo approach design is, by its very nature, built around voltage controlled elements (VCFs and VCAs - lots and lots of them). I could just hide or ignore that fact because, yes, I'm not entirely sure of the desire/need for voltage control in a design like this.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 am

I think that the expander option is best. VC isn't that important in an EQ but if someone does need it it can be available. So which of the above mentioned ideas will you be adding in the stereo version?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:47 am

Will likely be HighPass (freq & res), four mid bands (freq, bandwidth, cut/boost), LowPass (freq & res again).

The fact that every one of these parameters could be voltage controlled does certainly offer some potential!

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:53 am

An extra band means I'd be down for one, and I'd probably have a play with voltage control if it were avaliable, especially with resonance. I dare say it would see a different usage than the pair I already have. Did I mention how much I love them?

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:16 am

dogoftears wrote: wire it as an fx send on your mixer?
or use 2 dacs/2adcs (not sure how your mixing-- ITB, analog, combo, etc)
it's not typical to use an EQ in parallel so i wouldn't call it an essential feature. that said i do like to use colored EQ's/extreme EQ settings in that very way. i've got a few ways to run parallel over here.

how do you like the curve bender? i have a bunch of EQ's, but my fave right now is the Hendyamps Michelangelo... which I'm mostly using in parallel.
I wasn't very clear, this is for when I'm using the PEQ within an effects chain, usually for a gig. sometimes the Nord 4 can get a bit peaky and I usually tone it down with a PEQ and a tube preamp.

For mixing I parallel eq and compression, usually feeding the same stereo mix through two sets of different eq's & comps.

The curvebender is pretty special and it definitely finishes a mix in the best way possible . I have a pair of JLM PEQ500's as well which work well with the PEQ so I probably have enough with the pairs of PEQ's and the JLM Pair.

neuroportal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neuroportal » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Question on PEQ v2s and using on unbalanced insert (A&H Zed if anyone interested). What would be the correct/best way of getting the return wired?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Try it simply with a Y insert cable - should be fine.
If not then we can look at the Rane app note - http://www.rane.com/note110.html

neuroportal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neuroportal » Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 am

Awesome. Thank you.

BTW - i was't aware of the Rane info. What a fantastic resource!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 am

Yeah, thanks for that link.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 am

Just wanted to post to see if the PEQ will potentially be offered for sale again at any point?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:40 am

Yes!
Not many boards remaining.. but should offer a few at the end of June.

neuroportal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neuroportal » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 am

BugBrand wrote:Try it simply with a Y insert cable - should be fine.
If not then we can look at the Rane app note - http://www.rane.com/note110.html
For reference - I can confirm this works no problems in an A&H Zed mixer.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”