Motu M4 vs SSL 2+

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Motu M4 vs SSL 2+

Post by Estes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 am

So I came to the conclusion that I need a portable Audio Interface.
The Motu M4 looks like a nobrainer, but now that the SSL brought up their interface with that fancy 4K button I was wondering if anyone can report how does that benefit synth sounds?

Any other Pros and cons to consider? It looks like the phone amps of the Motu are better than the ones of the SSL.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Motu M4 vs SSL 2+

Post by Blairio » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm

I have just bought an M4 to replace a faulty Saffire Pro 24. The difference is stunning. A bonus in terms of portability is the M4 is USB buss powered.

Orion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Orion » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:07 pm

I haven't had a chance to try them but I'm very interested to see what people think as well. I've been looking at that and the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. I've been using the gen1 2i2 that has been fairly decent audio wise, but lacks midi i/o which I wish it had for on the go use. Now the Motu interface looks interesting as well. I do like that both have real meters instead of the color changing ring that Focusrite uses.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Orion wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:07 pm
I haven't had a chance to try them but I'm very interested to see what people think as well. I've been looking at that and the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. I've been using the gen1 2i2 that has been fairly decent audio wise, but lacks midi i/o which I wish it had for on the go use. Now the Motu interface looks interesting as well. I do like that both have real meters instead of the color changing ring that Focusrite uses.
well apparently Motu is outperforming all 'budget' Audio Interfaces out there. And the reason they actually can is probably because they are now experienced Audio Interface Producers. It looks like they have put everything in there that has been requested over the years. Then more that I look at the SSL I just realise that the Interface is missing some features and maybe the preamps quality is similar to the Motu M4 but the extra two line inputs and the better headphones amps and the ability to use it standalone outperforms the SSL and some others at the same pricerange. The 4K button is a gimmick like the air button on the scarlet and dosen't seems to be a useful feature working with synths. Maybe for another workflow where you have to record on a daily basis a g singing voice it could be useful.

Watching the reviews of this dude could be useful. I think he reviewed them all, Focusrite, Motu, SSL...

Orion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Orion » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Got a chance to watch the videos and compare charts. Based on the reviews of the Scarlett, M2, and SSL I think the M4 is the one I would pick. I like the preamp on the SSL slightly better, but I use 32ohm headphones so the headphone amp is a letdown, and the line input on the M4 is a big deal for overall usability. Another side benefit for me are the controls on the front and the better metering. I use the interface a lot for FOH measurement mics, and usually end up setting things on top of the 2i2 because of space limitations so the small size and front controls are a plus. For a desktop setup though the SSL is a bit nicer in that regard.

Overall, I think the SSL has some compelling features, but I think the M4 is better all around especially with the extra inputs and price point.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 pm

I don't have any experience with the SSL. But I do have the M4, and have to say that it's the easiest to use, most no-brainer interface I've ever had. Highly recommend.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Orion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Orion » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Just purchased an M4. Found a weekend "holidays" deal that was too good to pass up so I took the plunge. Given the positive reviews, clean UI, and no bs plug and play nature I think it will be perfect for my needs with a little expandability for down the road.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Orion wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Ok I had to turn it off about 45 seconds in when I realized the guy is a complete idiot. Please tell me at some point he figured out the "4K" button is an emulation of the SSL4000 and isn't for '4K audio'?

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Monotremata wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 pm
Orion wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm
Ok I had to turn it off about 45 seconds in when I realized the guy is a complete idiot. Please tell me at some point he figured out the "4K" button is an emulation of the SSL4000 and isn't for '4K audio'?
There's no such thing as 4K audio, so it's pretty obviously a joke. Edit: Though to be fair, the guy is pretty dry in his delivery. :lol:

(and yes, if you watch the video, he does acknowledge this.)

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 am

Well what about this guy??

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 am

Estes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 am
:eyes:

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:07 am

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 am
Estes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 am
:eyes:
He doesn't seems to be dry compared to the other. I loved him instantly when I stumbled upon it.

Return to “General Gear”