Anybody make a performance mixer like this anymore ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Anybody make a performance mixer like this anymore ?

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:29 pm

With hardware resurgence there is surly a large space in the market for a performance like DJ mixer ?

The Zero 8 seemed perfect , but I was scared away by a multitude of problems it had.

I believe it had midi etc, nearest thing I’ve found is A&H DB4 , but that has no driver support at the moment.

Any studio mixers that are dj friendly ? I.e. nice big controls , sturdy.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Anybody make a performance mixer like this anymore ?

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:00 pm

The Model-1 is appealing but not something I’d consider affordable unless you’re a working musician or already wealthy.
7EC60AC1-146A-4B60-98ED-FF66AE72015A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm

the only other unit I can think of is the Roland Aira MX-1
9A7A4D41-8F04-4B1F-9DD4-2178BCAAB92F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 pm

The Roland MX-1 has a lot of performance features, I had one for a couple of years and sold it as I moved to a more recording-centric workflow. Now that I'm more interested in performance/jams, I'll likely get another one. It wasn't perfect, I thought the built-in effects and such were a bit limited, but it does have some nice performance oriented features. Overall not a bad mixer IMHO.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks, yes been looking into the MX as I will have a couple of mc707s hooked up to. Assuming I will only get stereo out over the usb from mc707 to Mx , I seem to remember reading the tr8 only did stereo out.

I’m put off by the plastic build tbh, but then it’s not terribly priced is it.

My other option was going to be a Px5 , maybe with a z controller.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 pm

I have an MX-1. I mainly use it for the Boutiques I have. It's a lot of fun. Don't be too put off by the plastic, it seems well enough buil for the price. There are two things I don't like too much about it, one more than the other. The main one is the inputs. Only one USB Aira port provides bus power. Maybe having them all powered would cause noise problems. And there are not enough audio inputs. The other one is the faders are very short throw. OK for slamming things in and out if that's your style but not very precise so you need to set channel gains which you can only do one channel at a time not on the fly.

Another thing to note is there is no traditional EQ, there a single Tone/Filter control which can have different configurations which are set only one at a time not on the fly. So the Xones or the Model One are much better for this.

If I was selecting a mixer as a performance mixer I would definitely go Model One and use a K2 for MIDi.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:31 am

Thank you for the info!

Ahh the Model 1 is nice, but I’m def not looking to spend that much. I may just order an MX from Amazon and return it if it doesn’t work out.
I forgot about the bus power, not a huge issue as I forgot it even supplied it, pretty sure the 707 wouldn’t run on bus power anyway.
I actually like the choice of tone , filter etc on the channels, too bad you cannot change them on the fly though.

I guess I should look at it as an aira mixer with the bonus of some regular inputs. Would of preferred TS on the S&R , but I guess it’s aimed at the DJ with some production gear market, so to be expected.

Passersby
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Passersby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 pm
The other one is the faders are very short throw. OK for slamming things in and out if that's your style but not very precise so you need to set channel gains which you can only do one channel at a time not on the fly.
I dont find the faders to be too short for fine-tuning but I guess that's personal preference. Perhaps you would want to experiment with the various curve options.

The other thing I want to note there is that you can actually quickly change the channel gains on the fly by holding the gain button and turning each channels tone/filter knob. This is much more coarse than using the infinite encoder but less tedious than selecting each individual channel.

Passersby
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Passersby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:31 am

I guess I should look at it as an aira mixer with the bonus of some regular inputs.
Yeah that's exactly right.

Much love for the MX-1. I used it for years to perform and my only complaint are the input options. Your only accessing its full potential if you're using it as an audio interface or with mostly aira gear.

It was so great as a companion to the DAW though because I could have my kick, snare, cymbals, and other percussion each routed to their own channels in the mx1. That was great for performance as I could easily mute or highpass the kick or throw delay on just the hats. One channel was usually just white noise and I would use the beat fx to make rhythms out of it.

My set is a lot of non-roland hardware now and that means I only have 5 channels of input accessible. Certainly serviceable but that leaves a lot of faders unused and lot of space taken up on the table for no reason. I'm actually in the process of trying to build out the functionality I love about the MX-1 in eurorack. The hardest thing is that tone/filter functionality.

I actually still have my MX-1 but I think I'm at a point where I'm ready to sell it... Hit me up if you decide on that option maybe.

VanCool
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VanCool » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 am

Don't think the are still being made but the Ecler Nuo 4 and 5 come to mind.
Might be able to score one 2nd hand for a decent price.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Passersby wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 am
I'm actually in the process of trying to build out the functionality I love about the MX-1 in eurorack. The hardest thing is that tone/filter functionality.
Although it's certainly nice to have everything in the rack for modular, this sounds like a really expensive route. I use the MX-1 for eurorack all the time since the channels attenuate enough to take modular levels. Have you considered getting a few of the Aria FX boxes? These do work with the MX-1 via USB, so they effectively act as a stereo input for the USB-only channels, which means you could add four stereo inputs into the MX-1 if you get four of these FX boxes....I guess this option isn't too cheap either, but something to consider.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 pm

The MX-1 is super cool and I keep almost buying one but the inputs and USB situation is just so bizarre. I love Roland but they always use weird nonsensical “Roland logic” in their design decisions. And even though I’ve read the manual I still truly don’t understand what’s actually compatible over the USB and what isn’t.

I mostly dream of Elektron making their own vastly superior version of it.

A buddy of mine has made some really cool MX—1 tutorials and always almost sells me on it.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Passersby
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Passersby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:48 pm

TheRosskonian wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm
Passersby wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 am
I'm actually in the process of trying to build out the functionality I love about the MX-1 in eurorack. The hardest thing is that tone/filter functionality.
Although it's certainly nice to have everything in the rack for modular, this sounds like a really expensive route. I use the MX-1 for eurorack all the time since the channels attenuate enough to take modular levels. Have you considered getting a few of the Aria FX boxes? These do work with the MX-1 via USB, so they effectively act as a stereo input for the USB-only channels, which means you could add four stereo inputs into the MX-1 if you get four of these FX boxes....I guess this option isn't too cheap either, but something to consider.
Oh interesting. Had not dared to send a modular level into an MX-1 input. I'll have to experiment.

Being able to pick the exact delay, distortion, etc. was how I was justifying the expenses of this system I'm building. That's one of the points of modular isn't it? To customize where mass produced products aren't exactly what you'd like them to be?

Current mixer in my system is the Xaoc Praga but I'm thinking of replacing that with a Befaco HexMix + Hexpander. So... Yeah 🤑

Return to “General Gear”