Arturia PolyMatrix / PolyBrute coming?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Arturia PolyMatrix / PolyBrute coming?

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 am

I think it sounds absolutely great. 8 voices is better than 6, yeah, but I'm shocked they got this feature set, at this level of apparent build quality, with this sound, at $2500. First synth above $1,500 I haven't balked at in probably 10 years. Way to go, Arturia. I want one.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am

Where's the poly aftertouch :waah:

Brownian Lotion
Continuous random talk

Post by Brownian Lotion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm

anselmi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:52 pm
it can do complex sounds for sure, but so can the Rev2 and offers more voices for less money...and to my years the Rev2 sounds better
Pretty sure the rev2 doesn’t have wavefolders after the oscillators, a second filter and a bunch of badass performance controls.

Why the comparison with the rev2 and not a vco synth like the p6? You argument could be applied to synths just in the sequential line up.
Will module for food.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Brownian Lotion wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm
anselmi wrote:
it can do complex sounds for sure, but so can the Rev2 and offers more voices for less money...and to my years the Rev2 sounds better
Pretty sure the rev2 doesn’t have wavefolders after the oscillators, a second filter and a bunch of badass performance controls.

Why the comparison with the rev2 and not a vco synth like the p6? You argument could be applied to synths just in the sequential line up.
It also doesn't have VCOs... :lol: comparison pretty much stops there.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Brownian Lotion wrote:
anselmi wrote:

I don´t give a fuck for wavefolders or 2 filters...I mean "complex" not as in "complex oscillators" but complex modulations

the difference in price can compensate for this, more if you don´t give a fuck for wavefolders

VCO or DCO didn´t tell anything about modern analogs...well, maybe if you are a snob that buy manufacturer´s marketing instead of use your ears to judge the sound of a synth

did I mention that I don´t give a fuck about wavefolders?

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm

I think it is a fantastic sounding poly synth.

And oddly, as someone who is usually turned off by both wood paneling, and the general look of Arturia's Brute line of synths, this one "looks" rather sharp.

The morphee gives me that old Nord Lead 1 wooden stick vibe, but for a new age. Great to see it on a synth.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm
The morphee gives me that old Nord Lead 1 wooden stick vibe, but for a new age. Great to see it on a synth.
when operated vertically (Z axis) it reminds me the ondes martenot´s gradation key

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm

anselmi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:36 pm
starthief wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:29 pm
LDT wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:23 pm
The morph stuff is really cool. But am I understanding this correctly?: Morph is in bi-timbral mode, right? So that seems to leave us with a whooping three (3) voices.
The morph thing isn't crossfading between voices, it's interpolating all the parameters... so unless I missed something somewhere, no, morphing doesn't restrict polyphony.
yeah, I think this is the way...morphing and bi-timbrality are separate features
Ok, but does anybody know?
If you have 6 voices while morphing, all is fine then.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 pm

LDT wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm
anselmi wrote:
starthief wrote:
LDT wrote:
The morph stuff is really cool. But am I understanding this correctly?: Morph is in bi-timbral mode, right? So that seems to leave us with a whooping three (3) voices.
The morph thing isn't crossfading between voices, it's interpolating all the parameters... so unless I missed something somewhere, no, morphing doesn't restrict polyphony.
yeah, I think this is the way...morphing and bi-timbrality are separate features
check the manual
http://downloads.arturia.net/products/p ... 1_0_EN.pdf

it says:
Morph is not a crossfade; it's an infinite number of compromises from one setting to thenext. Parameter values change gradually from one state to another state, hitting everyintermediate value between the two

so no polyphony involved, just 2 sets of parameters, that moves from one to the other

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:55 pm

anselmi wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Brownian Lotion wrote:
anselmi wrote:

I don´t give a fuck for wavefolders or 2 filters...I mean "complex" not as in "complex oscillators" but complex modulations

the difference in price can compensate for this, more if you don´t give a fuck for wavefolders

VCO or DCO didn´t tell anything about modern analogs...well, maybe if you are a snob that buy manufacturer´s marketing instead of use your ears to judge the sound of a synth

Essentially you prefer the sound of the Rev2, fine. Why not just say that?
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 pm

flashheart wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:55 pm
anselmi wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Brownian Lotion wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Essentially you prefer the sound of the Rev2, fine. Why not just say that?
I said it in the post you quoted before , dude... :stormcat:
anselmi wrote:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Well, I was watching all PolyBrute videos and I don't like how it sounds in practically any of them, quite the opposite of the Super 6, which I liked in all the ones I've seen. The same thing happened to me with the Medusa.
It is more than a coincidence that an instrument you do not like in any video, or that you like it in all. My bank account sighs in relief.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm

anselmi wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 pm
Well, I was watching all PolyBrute videos and I don't like how it sounds in practically any of them, quite the opposite of the Super 6, which I liked in all the ones I've seen. The same thing happened to me with the Medusa.
It is more than a coincidence that an instrument you do not like in any video, or that you like it in all. My bank account sighs in relief.
Same here so far. I'll add that I want to like it because of it's concepts and look & (probably very nice) feel.
Had the exact opposite with the Matriach, very much not excited about the look and general concept of it so didn't even bother looking into going through videos at launch. But inevitably you run across examples of the thing being used. And screw me, each and every example drives me to want the thing more because of its stupendously amazing sound.

~
Cool to see that the Polybrute clicks well with plenty of folks.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm
anselmi wrote:
Same here so far. I'll add that I want to like it because of it's concepts and look & (probably very nice) feel.
Had the exact opposite with the Matriach, very much not excited about the look and general concept of it so didn't even bother looking into going through videos at launch. But inevitably you run across examples of the thing being used. And screw me, each and every example drives me to want the thing more because of its stupendously amazing sound.

~
Cool to see that the Polybrute clicks well with plenty of folks.
I agree! Super-6 and Matriarch in my next list. I can`t find a single video of any of them that sound bad...

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am

Another video by "Mr. Demo Hands"

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:55 am

I don't want to complain about an analog poly being released, but it sounds "interesting" in the videos 😌

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:07 am

Ah, I get it. I was just being thick-headed.
anselmi wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 pm
LDT wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm
anselmi wrote:
starthief wrote:
LDT wrote:
check the manual
http://downloads.arturia.net/products/p ... 1_0_EN.pdf

it says:
Morph is not a crossfade; it's an infinite number of compromises from one setting to thenext. Parameter values change gradually from one state to another state, hitting everyintermediate value between the two

so no polyphony involved, just 2 sets of parameters, that moves from one to the other

PatrickW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PatrickW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:54 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am
Another video by "Mr. Demo Hands"
Wow, sounds great !
Lot's of personality !

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 am

The perfect poly.

If it wans´t that I dont gel with the sound...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 am
The perfect poly.

If it wans´t that I dont gel with the sound...
...if you like accordions and ukeleles :hihi:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

anselmi wrote:
I would argue there's some gear where the majority of demos are not fully representative of what the synth can do. For instance: with brands like The Harvestman and Noise Engineering, many demos tend to be all "look how crazy and harsh and nasty this is!" and completely miss the sweet spots.

With Medusa, I also found a lot of the videos pretty bland in terms of sound -- but then there are a few better ones like the one by Gattobus, and then some truly excellent FM drones which are more where my interest lies.

From the Mylar Melodies video, I get the impression that Polybrute is the type of synth that is definitely not 100% sweet spots, but has plenty of power and character to be great when you work with it. I felt that way about the much simpler Microbrute when I owned one.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm

This thing weighs 44 lbs (20 Kg); that's about as much as my venerable D-50 and S950 combined. Anyone who uses only contemporary hardware better start beefing up. :hihi:

Return to “General Gear”