Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

shize312
Common Wiggler

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by shize312 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 am
shize312 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:04 am
The Junglechrist wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:04 am
shize312 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:54 pm
Hey there, quick one for you: is there anyone using the Tracker as a master sequencer for their eurorack? how does it feel?
I do and I love it ! It's very convenient for me to be able to see the notes (C4 / B3 / C"2 etc) all at once on a screen while writing harmony as i'm quite bad at music theory, the onboard many scales do help as well. So far i'm limited by the fact I don't own enought midi to CV converters to take full advantage of it but I'm waiting on the next batch of CV.ODC and I should be really good to go for sequencing everything from the Tracker.
Hey, thanks for your reply!
I'd get the Mutant Brain Midi to CV, eventually; how many tracks can you sequence? Is it also possible to use it as a master clock?
The Mutant Brain should work great as well. You can sequence eight tracks at once but keep in minf you can recall any midi channel on any steps (as well as instruments from the Tracker itself). It can be limiting if you want many big chords tho.
So far I found it very good to make songs from scratch, then multitrack and finish the work in Ableton afterwards.
That’s awesome, cheers!
I’d by it mainly to sequence drums. I love the micro-timing for some Aphex Twin kind of rhythm!
Would be a bit wasted maybe with all its features though, but other than the Tracker and the WMD Metron i can’t think of any other solution.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
I do and I love it ! It's very convenient for me to be able to see the notes (C4 / B3 / C"2 etc) all at once on a screen while writing harmony as i'm quite bad at music theory, the onboard many scales do help as well. So far i'm limited by the fact I don't own enought midi to CV converters to take full advantage of it but I'm waiting on the next batch of CV.ODC and I should be really good to go for sequencing everything from the Tracker.
Damn. Don't say that. I am semi-waiting for Tracker to come back into stock, and was seriously considering pulling the FH-2 out of the rack as it's really just being a jumped-up Euclidean Circles machine for occasional use right now. Now you have me thinking...

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:16 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 am
The Junglechrist wrote:
Damn. Don't say that. I am semi-waiting for Tracker to come back into stock, and was seriously considering pulling the FH-2 out of the rack as it's really just being a jumped-up Euclidean Circles machine for occasional use right now. Now you have me thinking...
It is in stock, good price too. I got mine from Schneidersladen, where it was in stock too last week.

https://kytary.de/polyend-tracker/HN215157/

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:32 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:16 am
It is in stock, good price too. I got mine from Schneidersladen, where it was in stock too last week.

https://kytary.de/polyend-tracker/HN215157/
Yeah, I feel like I'd rather get it from one of the usual suspects- I have stock notifications set up. This is partly because times are tough for them and I feel like rewarding them for consistently working hard for providing good service but also partly because I've had a bit of a nightmare getting harder to find stuff from random sites lately.

If a week could go by without having to ask if things have actually been dispatched yet, if I could have tracking details etc., that would be nice. I suspect that I'd also like to have a break from chasing couriers who make pretend collections/deliveries too :hihi:

(Thank you though! I did look on Wiggle Hunt recently, and that site didn't come up- Schneidersladen were out of stock too. I do love how good the hive mind is as finding stuff.)

It's no hardship if it takes a month or two to arrive at the normal trusted places, especially if I've had a chance to sell a few old modules in the meantime. I'm way too much of a creature of impulse and Tracker is terribly shiny. If I still want it after all this, it's a great sign. I suspect I'd have to hit up Polyend for the hard case too, I have an obsession about protective cases for gear, especially backpack-sized gear.

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:31 am

I'm aboard as of tomorrow, if the courier comes through. I've wavered on this one for a while, but having gone back to my various samplers I've decided the Tracker has a place - I'm an Octamed veteran for one thing, and I'm also very interested in the performance effects element, which doesn't have any serious equivalents in my setup - I guess the punch-in effects on the OP-Z and POs are closest, but the Tracker seems to take all that to the next level. And it just seems like a well designed device in general, at a time when so many interfaces gather unlabelled shift functions over time (a big screen and generic buttons help there, of course). I also figure it'll be an easy sell if I find it especially troublesome, but I've watched enough videos to be confident that won't happen.

Naturally to help me celebrate this decision the online manual at https://polyend.com/tracker-manual/ seems to have gone completely blank, and the only alternatives I can find are PDFs of much earlier firmware. I'm hoping it's just being revamped and will be back shortly, but has anyone happened to capture a copy of the most recent manual in the meantime, just in case?

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:36 am

Argh, one of my favourite suppliers has one, but after months of waiting, I finally have a Frap Tools Brenso on the way to me. That will be the most expensive module that I've ever bought- so this may not be a good month to buy :(

That said, the manual vanishing doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 am

They're due to release firmware 1.2 any day now which is going to be very nice, lots of new features, UI improvements and bug fixes. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the manual disappearing.

Honestly, I'm so impressed with how Polyend have been supporting this thing, if you take a look at their Github, you'll see that they're pretty much working constantly on improving it.
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 am

Yeah, the Github does show they've been busy, though as with anything you should only really base a purchase on the current offering - which I'm happy with in this instance. I'm sure the manual is just a temporary blip, but it's still a drag when it's the only official source of info - just a note saying it's being updated is all it needs. But, these things happen and I dare say there are a few other contenders for the title of Biggest Worry Right Now. I'll be spending tonight assembling a small squad of breakbeats to take into battle. I've got tomorrow off and the tracking email has arrived, so it's all lining up nicely. Really looking forward to this one.

Faktoidmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Faktoidmusic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am

3lbFlax wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:31 am

Naturally to help me celebrate this decision the online manual at https://polyend.com/tracker-manual/ seems to have gone completely blank, and the only alternatives I can find are PDFs of much earlier firmware. I'm hoping it's just being revamped and will be back shortly, but has anyone happened to capture a copy of the most recent manual in the meantime, just in case?
You got PM - I attached the actual manual

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am

Faktoidmusic wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am
You got PM - I attached the actual manual
Thanks! This is bound to ensure the official one comes back, but in the meantime I can at least brush up on a few points in advance.

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 am

Alright, I'm in and enjoying it so far - took a little while to get used to the button & wheel combo, but it all makes sense.

For anyone using the latest Github firmware - which does make a lot of nice changes - have you encountered a problem with the volume of roll FX? I find that in 1.1.22 - but not in 1.1.10 - a descending roll starts off about twelve volume steps higher than the instrument default, which can sound really jarring. You can fix it by setting volume to 50 in the second FX slot when you star the roll - but those FX slots are precious commodities. I've opened a ticket for it, but I was wondering if I'm perhaps missing some setting or workaround...

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 am

For those on the beta firmware what new implementations are there with midi, if any?
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Not much for midi, midi will be the focus for 1.3 though and they have plans for quite a comprehensive overhaul of the possibilities there.
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

lo_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lo_ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 pm

I don’t know how many other people this applies to but would love to connect my polyseq+poly2+tracker and have it all work in unison that would be the perfect workstation.

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:52 am

Just an update on my last post - I raised a bug report in the Github repository yesterday reporting the volume roll issue. Woke up this morning to find the bug had been confirmed, flagged, fixed and there was a new firmware already available with that and various other improvements. Phenomenal!

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:56 pm

Are any of you using your Tracker with an external battery? If so which one?

Hailing taxi cabs.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Petajaja wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:08 pm
Not much for midi, midi will be the focus for 1.3 though and they have plans for quite a comprehensive overhaul of the possibilities there.
That's good news!!! :sb:

Hailing taxi cabs.

llexam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by llexam » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm

bradclay wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:56 pm
Im using my Tracker with a 15000 mAh battery (RAVpower) that I bought on Amazon. Works great, could probably get 8+ hours usage on a single charge.

edit: spelling
Last edited by llexam on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:19 pm

llexam wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm
bradclay wrote:
Im using my Tracker with a 15000 mAh battery (RAVpower) that I bough on Amazon. Works great, could probably get 8+ hours usage on a single charge.
Oh that's nice! Which model?

Hailing taxi cabs.

palimpsest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by palimpsest » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:00 pm

My friend has been posting a lot of Tracker videos on their Youtube channel recently

llexam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by llexam » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 am

bradclay wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:19 pm
llexam wrote:
bradclay wrote:
Im using my Tracker with a 15000 mAh battery (RAVpower) that I bough on Amazon. Works great, could probably get 8+ hours usage on a single charge.
Cant seem to post a link...
Model number is: RP-PB231
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:00 am

llexam wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 am
bradclay wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:19 pm
llexam wrote:
bradclay wrote:
Cant seem to post a link...
Model number is: RP-PB231
Awesome! Thank you!

Hailing taxi cabs.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:30 pm

lo_ wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 pm
I don’t know how many other people this applies to but would love to connect my polyseq+poly2+tracker and have it all work in unison that would be the perfect workstation.
I was looking at the Poly2 as well. Have you purchased it already? If not, you might want to read this before you do--

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=221437

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 pm

22tape wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:30 pm
lo_ wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 pm
I was looking at the Poly2 as well. Have you purchased it already? If not, you might want to read this before you do--

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=221437
:sb: Thank you posting this! You just saved me a headache and $$$! Still need to find a good midi to cv solution.

Hailing taxi cabs.

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am

Hey there folks ! I have uploaded a new "tips and tricks" video inspired by a question from bradclay about sequencing acid bassline type synthesizer with Tracker :

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/ https://youtube.com/user/TheJunglechrist

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/stazma

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Return to “General Gear”