Polyend Tracker

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Polyend Tracker

Post by 22tape » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:32 pm

3lbFlax wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:32 pm
And of course no sooner do I waffle on about features like timestretch being missing by design than a new beta firmware is announced featuring timestretch. Happy to help!
Ha, nice!

So maybe there IS hope for memory expansion! :hihi: No matter what anyone says, I'm going to live in the fantasy land that, at some point, they'll add memory expansion. And I blame Deluge for this fantasy because it originally shipped with something like only 54mb of sample memory, then they unexpectedly included SD streaming in a firmware upgrade. Come on Polyend! :yay:
Last edited by 22tape on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 pm

3lbFlax wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm
22tape wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 pm
Curious though-- were you using a tracker as your main DAW before Tracker?
Not exclusively or heavily, but I started out with OctaMED on the Amiga and am a fully paid up Renoise user (and fan), so I'm certainly familiar with the potential. Of course the Tracker sits somewhere between the two in terms of capabilities, but I find two minutes is more than enough time, as long as I'm working with a tracker mindset - short one-shots, three or four loops, some single wave synths... the Tracker's granular features help a lot there. To be honest, though, it's not often I'll go above two minutes even when it's possible, unless I'm specifically using something like the audio tracks on an MPC. If I stop to think about it, it is a bit meagre having less sample time than a maxed-out MPC 2000 in 2020 - but I don't stop to think about it very often.
:tu:

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm

3lbFlax wrote:
And of course no sooner do I waffle on about features like timestretch being missing by design than a new beta firmware is announced featuring timestretch. Happy to help!
Cool, should we give you a list of stuff to write off? Let's get this done :hihi:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm
3lbFlax wrote:
Cool, should we give you a list of stuff to write off? Let's get this done :hihi:
:hihi:

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm
I already included most of them! Although I'll throw in full-sized MIDI ports, I'm pretty sure they said they'd never add those in an update.

Just had a play with the timestretch - can take a while to process the previews on certain settings, and it's a bit of a stab in the dark at first, but eventually I was getting faster results that sounded decent when shifting up breakbeats. Moves it a little closer to having a wee S950, and combined with the filters, EQ tools and performance effects it's fast and fun to start mangling the results.

I did find that the fade, cut and off commands seem to have stopped working though - raised a ticket, so hopefully they'll be back soon.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:11 am

Question for you all. In the current firmware, not the beta), does the equalizer work correctly? My current project is muddy as hell. I used the equalizer on my kick drum samples and no matter where I adjusted it didn’t change anything with one exception, if I boosted the parameters it was noticeable, clipping territory. I’m having a hell of a time getting things to sit well with each other.
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm

Well screw you fun-having people! My Tracker arrived today. No time to play with it yet, but it's SO SMOL AND CUTE, I had no idea how tiny it was. It'll probably fit on that little £2 Ikea stand that I used with my Digitakt. I'll report back if it's a good fit.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm
Well screw you fun-having people! My Tracker arrived today. No time to play with it yet, but it's SO SMOL AND CUTE, I had no idea how tiny it was. It'll probably fit on that little £2 Ikea stand that I used with my Digitakt. I'll report back if it's a good fit.
That's actually a very useful remark (the size bit that is ghehe). I thought that it was larger!
Pictures that even better show it's size are welcome. :)

Size and Weight
Height: 1.3 inch (3.3 cm, with knob)
Width: 11.02 inches (28.2 cm)
Depth: 8.15 inches (20.7 cm)
Weight: 2.65 pounds (1.2 kg)

Source of those saucy banana pictures: https://bogdanraczynski.com/polyend-tra ... g-bananas/
Gaun Yersel!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Those are excellent :D

First question- my brand-new tracker, running 1.22, makes occasional pops even when it's not playing anything. They're not loud enough to blow your head off and they're not constant, but they're there. The same thing happened with a couple of pairs of headphones, so it's not a dodgy headphone cable- but these also sound a lot more like "live" pops, if that makes sense.

The only things plugged into the tracker are a USB cable from the PC and the headphones.

I will try powering it from something that isn't the PC, in case the Tracker isn't filtering something coming down the VBUS line or similar- but that will have to wait until the inevitable massive transfer of a folder named "breakbeats" completes...

Edit:

I was waiting a while, the MTP mode (talking to Win10) actually locked the Tracker hard after 16 files or so- had to pull the power. Not very inspiring. Is that normal?

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm

I have made a ticket about the MTP bug, I was able to come up with a small fileset that always provokes the crash- hopefully it will be useful!

Meanwhile, I can report that the cheap Ikea tablet stand works a treat. Here's my Tracker on the stand, but more importantly with a funny orange box for scale:
tracka.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:12 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm
box for scale
Ace, thank you.

Hope that they'll resolve the issue you've reported soon.
Gaun Yersel!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 am

I figured that people around here would have a good intuitive idea of the size of one of those, plus I'd eaten the last banana.

Yeah, Polyend asked specifically for files/info to reproduce the hard lock bug, this is probably just what happens when your product goes public and is exposed to more configs than you've tested. Happy to provide what info I can to them.

It doesn't render the unit unusable anyway, given that you can just pop the card out and stick it in a reader meantime.

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 am

Anyone up for sharing project files? Depending on interest and data storage needs I would e willing to store them on one of my google drive accounts. If someone has better idea at how to go about this I'm all ears. I've really enjoyed digging through the included projects and find it to be an excellent learning tool, plus it's fun to copy patterns and replace sounds/remix/edit etc.

Hailing taxi cabs.

TarikhMizan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TarikhMizan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 pm

I just got mine and I’m all in on learning this thing.

TarikhMizan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TarikhMizan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:28 am

Next "is this normal?" question.

My tracker has an audible noise floor- that's fine, shit happens- but after I power it down and the muting kicks in, it still outputs some noise, it's not silent.

This is not a ground loop thing- it happens even when the tracker is powered from a USB power brick. It's annoying as I can't leave it patched into the audio interface configured up- I have to unplug or mute Tracker's channels to avoid unwanted noise while recording other devices. It's low, but it's more noise than I expect from a powered-down device/

Here's what it looks like from a power brick:
trackeroffnoise.jpg
Is my Tracker faulty, or is this normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:35 am

bradclay wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 am
Anyone up for sharing project files? Depending on interest and data storage needs I would e willing to store them on one of my google drive accounts. If someone has better idea at how to go about this I'm all ears. I've really enjoyed digging through the included projects and find it to be an excellent learning tool, plus it's fun to copy patterns and replace sounds/remix/edit etc.
Polyend had started to make some set from selected artists who work with them on their website, they call it Scene : https://polyend.com/whats-up/

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey there everyone ! Some new Tracker (and modular) related music from me here:

You will soon be able to grab the project at the Polyend Blog en mentioned on the post just before ;-)

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 pm

I got the Tracker a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would throw in my thoughts, as they include some observations that I haven't seen shared yet. I got into electronic music from using LSDJ on the Game Boy, so this more fully featured tracker device instantly appealed to me. On top of this, I am a bit of a sequencer nut, and have a Digitakt, Pyramid, Monome, etc - so a fair bit to compare it to.

First of all, the Tracker is beautiful. The screen is really clear; the controls smooth and (largely) intuitive. A lot of thought has clearly gone into it, and making music is extremely easy and accessible. I like it a lot. I rarely make full songs on grooveboxes any more - opting to do sections and then record them into Logic for production, given the various different pieces of gear I've got, and how much of a pain it can be to get them to all talk to each other. However, the song arrangement feature on the Tracker is nicer/more capable than expected.

Some other positives:

* I love the FM radio capture feature.
* Even though Tracker doesn't have multiple outs, it allows you to render stems as wavs for export. This is an awesome feature, and I don't get why Elektron didn't introduce this to the Digitakt, rather than rely on OverBridge (which I've never forgiven them for announcing along with the hardware and taking 2 years after that to deliver).
* MicroSD card storage is brilliant. It is such an obvious, good solution to sample space. (ARE YOU LISTENING, ELEKTRON?!)

Some negatives/areas for improvement:

* The Tracker has less modulation/FX options than the Digitakt, which is a bit disappointing - as a bunch of these could surely be easily implemented to give greater dynamism.
* The internal RAM(?) gets used up quicker than I would like. Not terribly so, but there's still less space than I might want for full in-the-box songs.
* Stem export is pretty buggy. When I first got Tracker there were all sorts of audio glitches, and there is an outstanding bug where the tempo of the exported stems is messed up/drifts. That kind of kills that feature's usefulness.
* It would be great if there was room for extra tracks to run simultaneously. I'm not sure of the hardware/technical limitations here, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Generally speaking, I really like the Tracker. It's a great device with a couple of implementation flaws which I am sure will be fixed. Polyend have been really quick to reply to e-mails and pick up on GitHub issues (even just having the ability to submit a bug report this way is good), and also share beta builds via the GitHub repo. All of this is great, and I look forward to seeing how the software develops. At present I am mostly holding out for the stem export fix, as having the BMP messed up throws a spoke in the wheels of my usual workflow.
9u rack, 6u rack, 3u rack -- http://noisepedals.com - for effects pedal demos with synths/drum machines. Music: http://bowtie.bandcamp.com Cassette Tape Label: http://cowtonguetaco.com

bradclay
Common Wiggler

Post by bradclay » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:28 am

So I saw someone posted about the equalizer in the Facebook group so I don’t feel alone. The equalizer only boosts when I cut it doesn’t make any change to the sound. Anyone else having this issue?

Hailing taxi cabs.

Metunar
Common Wiggler

Post by Metunar » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:22 am

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 am

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 pm
* The Tracker has less modulation/FX options than the Digitakt, which is a bit disappointing - as a bunch of these could surely be easily implemented to give greater dynamism.
I'd love to have FX control over the delay time and feedback, but mainly what I struggle with compared to, say, the Digitakt is the number of FX slots being limited to two per step. I'm not sure how that could be approached, but maybe another level of zoomed-in track view that exposed a couple more FX columns. I'm sure it all depends on the hardware being able to support some of the potential combinations that would open up - it doesn't seem like a big leap to add two more FX columns, but across all eight tracks it probably is.

In the meantime, you just have to be creative in applying the effects, which I don't mind because I think of that as part of the small-t tracker experience. It's often the experimentation in search of a solution that leads to new avenues.

Metunar
Common Wiggler

Post by Metunar » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:05 pm

I tested also the export function, and yes, it is not correct.

Only the compete song is exported correct.

On the steam export the reverb and delay tracks are silent.
The song steams drift apart after some minutes. They also have a delay at the beginning of about 12ms, but not all the same.
The pattern steams also have this delay, even the complete pattern export has this.

This really needs a fix. Especially because this function would be a big plus for this device.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:50 am

Metunar wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:05 pm
I tested also the export function, and yes, it is not correct.

Only the compete song is exported correct.

On the steam export the reverb and delay tracks are silent.
The song steams drift apart after some minutes. They also have a delay at the beginning of about 12ms, but not all the same.
The pattern steams also have this delay, even the complete pattern export has this.

This really needs a fix. Especially because this function would be a big plus for this device.
I reported the bug about the reverb and delay tracks already (it is only when effect are post-fader tho) and was about to try again if the stem export work properly in the new update

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Can anyone else talk about random pops/clicks and hiss/noise floor? Is that for real or just one person with a bad unit? A noisy output would end my interest in this.

Return to “General Gear”