Ribbon or ring controller for precise tempered music

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ribbon or ring controller for precise tempered music

Post by beyourdog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi guys,
Please let me know if already discussed 50 times, but I'm searching for either a CV or midi ribbon controller or ring controller to control my synths.

I want a controller that can be aligned to a keyboard so I can play some Back or Messiaen lines as an Ondes Martenot or a Cello with Glissando and vibrato. The purpose is to make exact and precise notes, not doing SF Theremin stuff. I had a French Connection but it's too expensive and the controller is not perfect either, typically for vibrato...

I don't really want a Eurorack thing as I'm not having such system but any ideas would be welcome. I looked at these Midi expressive rings you hold on a figure in the air, but not convinced it ll work for tempered music...

Thanks for your insight and ideas and take care :tu:

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Re: Ribbon or ring controller for precise tempered music

Post by Umcorps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 am

The ContinuuMini https://www.hakenaudio.com/continuumini is the most precise ribbon-like instrument I know of. It works best as a stand alone instrument. You need extra hardware to use it as a controller for other hardware but it works ok on its own as a controller for DAW hosted synths.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ribbon or ring controller for precise tempered music

Post by beyourdog » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Thank you !!!

Return to “General Gear”