Korg SQ-64 set up

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joesh
Learning to Wiggle

Korg SQ-64 set up

Post by joesh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi,

I just received a Korg SQ64 (only 2 hours ago), however, I'm not getting any pitch CV, or so it seems. I'm 100% sure it's on my side, but if you know anything about Korg, you'll know there's never any instructions in their manuals. Anyhow all I'm getting is a gate which just makes my
Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1B constantly bleep out the same note!

So, a couple of questions, if anyone has any experience yet with this sequencer, do I need to install anything, or should it be just plug and play. If so, has anyone any suggestions - or instructions - to get some pitches to be sent out from the sequencer?

For your information, I've plugged everything in and set up a Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1B next to it to test. I've cabled up exactly as Pittsburgh told me (SQ64 Pitch out > Pitch In and SQ64 Gate Out > Envelope gate). The gate is clearly working, as I said above, but no matter what I do to change the pitch, there's no difference, just the same old monotone note which is the note that's triggered in the SV-1.

Any help would be wonderful, thanks in advance.

BTW, Korg have a little free software bundle that's in the box. However, I can't really see what this has to do with the sequencer, and there doesn't seem to be any instructions which say I have to install something to start with either.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg SQ-64 set up

Post by Nightly Closures » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 pm

While holding down track button for A-C, try to enable cv being sent through and testing the pitch out by turning the param 4 knob (as per the manual page 20). Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. I seem to remember the reviewer doing this in one of the videos.

joesh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joesh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Yes, I already tried that, but nothing changes. As an example, if I set the Test Out to C3, or D5 or G2, they all stay the same.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.

joesh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joesh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:58 am

Okay, I just went back last thing (before hitting the sack last night), and tried once more. The sequence that I'd put earlier played back with the pitches :confused:.

So, I don't know what happened earlier, but it seems to be working. I don't see any logical explanation, but I guess I'll give it another go later today and cross my fingers that everything's working as normal. I also wrote to Korg (last night), so maybe they'll reply with some information which might explain this behaviour.

DumbleDor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DumbleDor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:45 am

Needs a Firmware update!

joesh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joesh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 am

Okay, how do I do that?

Return to “General Gear”