Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Dreadbox Medusa monosynth

Post by Roy72 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:41 am

It worked tonight with the Erebus, but the erebus froze up with the key step so maybe its a glitch in the erebus.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:22 am

Hey there everyone, here is some sampling guidance about synthesizers using the Medusa as main sound source ;-)

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Has anyone else noticed that when you do a clock sync'd random it doesn't move? For me, it just sits at whatever value it was at when I turn on sync.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:56 pm

Heard about v4 firmware is coming soon, any details on this?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Tajnost wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:56 pm
Where'd you hear that?

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 pm

starthief wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Tajnost wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:56 pm
Where'd you hear that?
Seems like official statement on fb, Medusa group
“ Medusa 4.0. Forget everything you know. Coming soon.”

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Hope there is a clock divider for the sequencer

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:52 pm

and the videos are out

"Polyend launches the official Medusa v4.0 firmware update. It brings some serious features like a gritty 6-voice 3-operator digital FM synth engine!"
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 pm

question for medusa users, is it possible to play/sequence the grid steps externally? Or do you need to play them by hand on the pads?

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:46 am

I've only had a chance to have 5 minutes in FM mode, but its seemed pretty mega. As an ex Digitone owner, appreciated the hands on control and the filter.

manymachines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manymachines » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 am

Just ordered one of these on Tuesday, can't wait for it to show up!

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 am

Added features, improvements and bug fixes. Check Medusa's currently installed firmware version in the Config > Firmware.

https://polyend.com/downloads/

Changelog
Update
New Features:
– Added a 6-voice 3-operator digital FM synth engine,
– Reworked pitch bend and glide,
– Better “Channel per Voice” mode,
– Added MIDI Program Change,
– LFO Synchronization with MIDI Clock,

Fixes:
– Fixed digital clicking at note start,
– Improved analog AMP envelope release handling (no clicking on the release of the last held note),
– Long note releases are no longer cut short when no notes are held,
– When a second held note is released in Mono mode, the first one returns with the last one’s volume instead of full volume,
– When a note is pressed when no voices are available in Next voice priority, the least recently used voice is taken over (note that in the First voice priority Medusa will not play another note if all voices are used, this is deliberate),
– Auto-calibration now uses a smart timer that increases intervals as the device warms up,
– Increased responsiveness when a lot of USB MIDI data is incoming,
– Incoming “all notes off” and “all sound off” MIDI CC messages are now respected; Sustain pedal (CC64) is now supported in all play modes (MIDI hold mode),
– Changing Pads Root Note, Layout, Scale, or MIDI Middle C while notes are held no longer causes hanging notes,
– MIDI aftertouch no longer causes hanging notes in Mono mode,
– Amp envelope in all polyphonic modes is now updating on the screen.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:46 am

:woah: Looks like they added scrolling credits under config menu...or else I just never noticed them before.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 pm

The FM mode is a surprising addition. Although putting the analog voice strictly under MIDI control is no fun. I only use this thing with its own grid...

I don't like the way voice allocation works now with the sequencer though. The behavior with note priority = last used to be, if you had an osc mix slider down it'd skip to the next available oscillator -- you could get some cool polyrhythmic patterns going that way with different waveforms, different oscillator tuning and even sync and FM, and you could alter it with the sliders. That was my favorite feature of the synth and it's almost completely ruined now. P1 mode just cycles from osc 1, to 2, to 3 regardless of the sliders. P2 cycles from osc 1, 2, 3 to digital osc 1, 2, 3.

The one semi-neat thing you can still do is alternate between analog and digital in P2, so you've got sync/FM and non-sync/FM to alternate between. Eh.

Right now I'm torn between keeping this firmware version for the FM, or saying "I have plenty of FM already" and reverting to previous firmware for the cool sequencing tricks. I'm also feeling increased temptation to sell it and go with something else. I know I'd love a Strega :P

Oh, also apparently P1 mode just uses osc 1 analog + digital monophonically when the Grid button is enabled, and P2 mode uses only osc 1 analog. So this firmware is broken. Back to 3.0 it is, and I'll appreciate what it can do for me...

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:13 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 pm
The FM mode is a surprising addition. Although putting the analog voice strictly under MIDI control is no fun. I only use this thing with its own grid...

I don't like the way voice allocation works now with the sequencer though. The behavior with note priority = last used to be, if you had an osc mix slider down it'd skip to the next available oscillator -- you could get some cool polyrhythmic patterns going that way with different waveforms, different oscillator tuning and even sync and FM, and you could alter it with the sliders. That was my favorite feature of the synth and it's almost completely ruined now. P1 mode just cycles from osc 1, to 2, to 3 regardless of the sliders. P2 cycles from osc 1, 2, 3 to digital osc 1, 2, 3.

The one semi-neat thing you can still do is alternate between analog and digital in P2, so you've got sync/FM and non-sync/FM to alternate between. Eh.

Right now I'm torn between keeping this firmware version for the FM, or saying "I have plenty of FM already" and reverting to previous firmware for the cool sequencing tricks. I'm also feeling increased temptation to sell it and go with something else. I know I'd love a Strega :P

Oh, also apparently P1 mode just uses osc 1 analog + digital monophonically when the Grid button is enabled, and P2 mode uses only osc 1 analog. So this firmware is broken. Back to 3.0 it is, and I'll appreciate what it can do for me...
Have those things changed in standard mode? Is it this part:

When a note is pressed when no voices are available in Next voice priority, the least recently used voice is taken over; note that in the First voice priority Medusa will not play another note if all voices are used, this is deliberate.

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 am

starthief wrote:

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware?
I am having none or the issues you describe, I just went through and checked :)
The voice allocation on the new FM mode is pretty different than the other modes, but that is to be expected given what it is doing. The main modes are same (or at least very similiar) to how they were before in both play and grid.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 am

starthief wrote:
I don't like the way voice allocation works now with the sequencer though. The behavior with note priority = last used to be, if you had an osc mix slider down it'd skip to the next available oscillator -- you could get some cool polyrhythmic patterns going that way with different waveforms
This was reported to us as a bug and ironically it was polyrhythms that were given as the reason why turned down oscillators shouldn't be skipped. Sigh, can't ever make everyone happy :sadbanana:
starthief wrote:
Oh, also apparently P1 mode just uses osc 1 analog + digital monophonically when the Grid button is enabled, and P2 mode uses only osc 1 analog.
I can confirm that this is the case in Grid mode. Sorry for the trouble. We'll fix that. For the time being, switching to Notes mode makes it work the way you want (in Next priority of course).
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 am

rplktr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 am
starthief wrote:
I don't like the way voice allocation works now with the sequencer though. The behavior with note priority = last used to be, if you had an osc mix slider down it'd skip to the next available oscillator -- you could get some cool polyrhythmic patterns going that way with different waveforms
This was reported to us as a bug and ironically it was polyrhythms that were given as the reason why turned down oscillators shouldn't be skipped. Sigh, can't ever make everyone happy :sadbanana:
starthief wrote:
Oh, also apparently P1 mode just uses osc 1 analog + digital monophonically when the Grid button is enabled, and P2 mode uses only osc 1 analog.
I can confirm that this is the case in Grid mode. Sorry for the trouble. We'll fix that. For the time being, switching to Notes mode makes it work the way you want (in Next priority of course).
Ha - I must be misunderstanding the issue, as in P1 mode on the grid I can use all three analog osc's polyphonically. But sounds like i am misunderstanding the question!

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 am

You can, sure, but they don't round-robin in Grid mode during sequence playback as they should when Next priority is used. Playing the same sequence in Notes mode behaves properly. This isn't perceptible if you set the voices to sound the same. But if you deliberately set them to different tunings, you can hear it. In any case, we'll deal with it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 am

rplktr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 am
Heh... I mean, I guess it's unusual and might strike some people as being a bug, but I like it a lot. Is there a chance that a menu option could offer both behaviors? A different priority mode maybe?

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am

I'll see what I can do.

PatrickW
Common Wiggler

Post by PatrickW » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm

This 4.0 firmware update is killer !
I liked the Medusa already for its original usage of the the "grid".
The sound was good, but not really special.
With this update though, the Medusa sound has now some real character because of those gritty FM sounds.
I didn't see this coming !
Thank you Polyend for continuing the support for this wonderful synth !

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:41 pm

I just updated to v4, now with the FM I can stop looking at the Korg Opsix. Wallet saved.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 am

Surprised to hear this is discontinued, it’s such a unique synth for a good price, curious why it didn’t find a bigger audience. I imagine in time it will receive a bit of a cult status especially as Polyend inevitably gain more of a following and reputation with new hardware, it looks like Tracker is doing very well for them. Medusa is a one-off it sounds excellent and strange and can do things most other synths can’t.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 am

Discontinued? Where did you get that from? :hmm:
Somewhat unorthodox electro on my old trusty Monomachine. :boba:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMx44Gnixzw

Return to “General Gear”