Lorre Mill Double Knot v2 and 3,5mm semi modulars

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Necromonger666
Learning to Wiggle

Lorre Mill Double Knot v2 and 3,5mm semi modulars

Post by Necromonger666 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am

Hello fellow Wigglers,

I tried searching for answers on this but unfortunately I need more help please.
Are the ways to use semi modular gear, for example the Erica Pico System III, with the Double Knot?

I read that negative voltage can damage the double knot.
Are there any banana to 3,5mm cables that can be used?
I have seen one converter box that costs around 100 Euro. Any cheaper alternatives out there?

Basically I am hoping someone would be so lovely to share their knowledge with me, I am a real noob in regards to banana synths and combining them with Euro etc.

THANKS! :hail:

Power Mic 3K
Common Wiggler

Re: Lorre Mill Double Knot v2 and 3,5mm semi modulars

Post by Power Mic 3K » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Yes there are. First, keep in mind that what you read about negative voltages and the DK is true. Make sure you know what you are feeding it.

Patch point appears to sell readymade adapter cables for roughly 1/3 the cost of a box. Search their site for Pomona Banana to Eurorack Adapter Cable Pack.

If you can solder, you could make cables yourself.

Eurorack TS cables have two wires inside. One runs from tip to tip and the other from sleeve to sleeve. Banana plug cables have one wire inside running from plug to plug. If you cut one banana plug cable and one Eurorack in half, you will have enough to make one ground cable and one signal cable.

-Connect a banana plug cable wire to the Eurorack cable sleeve wire for the ground cable.
-Connect a banana plug cable wire to the Eurorack cable tip wire for the signal cable.
-Make sure the unused wire in each Eurorack cable is terminated.

Another way to do it is to make a Y cable from 2 banana plug cables and one end of a Eurorack cable. To do that:

-Connect one banana plug wire to the Eurorack cable sleeve wire. This is your ground lead.
-Connect another banana plug wire to the Eurorack cable tip wire. This is your signal lead.

Make sure your wires are marked so you know what is what.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Ftr, depending on where you’re based, the cables patch point sells are those made by Tom / bugbrand and sold direct from his web shop too.

Necromonger666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Necromonger666 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:46 am

Hi guys, thank you so much.

I am in Berlin so Patch Point is perfect for me. I am not a soldering guy.

Just to make sure, as an example, an LFO would be negative and positive voltage and an envelope would be only positive voltage, right?

What about audio from a Euro osc? Would that have negative voltage?
I think so but not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 am

You're probably going to want a jumbler box in the long run, as it does simplify some of the interfacing if your setup grows, but if the Double Knot remains your only piece of banana gear, the cables make sense ;) The jumblers are nice, though, and the cable price stacks up in the long run, of course. That being said, your big issue isn't so much the voltage, it's grounding, since bananas aren't grounded. You need to make sure you're properly grounding the Double Knot. That's something the jumbler boxes provide, a central ground for connections.

Power Mic 3K
Common Wiggler

Post by Power Mic 3K » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Necromonger666 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:46 am
Just to make sure, as an example, an LFO would be negative and positive voltage and an envelope would be only positive voltage, right?

What about audio from a Euro osc? Would that have negative voltage?
I think so but not 100% sure.
LFOs and VCOs do go negative, as do audio signals. There are ways to only use the positive parts of those signals, but do do with caution and a bit of measuring beforehand. Here’s a thread with some info on doing that: viewtopic.php?t=14970

Some envelope generators can go negative, so tread with caution there. The Doepfer A-140 is an example of an envelope generator that can output a negative signal via an inverted output.

Triggers, gates, clocks, and sequencers are generally safe sources.

Whatever you do, always check the specs prior to plugging anything into your DK.

Necromonger666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Necromonger666 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 am

Thanks everyone.
I think I am going to avoid Euro <-> banana for now and keep it somewhat separated when it comes to cv cross modulation between them.

Are there any semi modular banana units that pair well with the Double Knot in your experience?
The Menq Qi Wing Pinger (banana) sure looks interesting.

Radiance2021
Common Wiggler

Post by Radiance2021 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:58 am

Necromonger666 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 am

Are there any semi modular banana units that pair well with the Double Knot in your experience?
Not from experience but the Buchla 208 only uses positive voltages AFAIK...

bronzedies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bronzedies » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am

Necromonger666 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 am
The Menq Qi Wing Pinger (banana) sure looks interesting.
I have the new sapphire double knot arriving tomorrow and will be investigating all sorts of connections to semi mod banana synths in the coming weeks. There are many possibilities just patching the outputs of DK to other gear and I plan on initially using it as a master clock

I'll mostly be pairing with CL(plumbutter and tetrax) but also flower electronics LBB. Bugbrand makes standalone banana units that would be great fun to play with DK (CO filter with expander would be a techno monster) ALL of these brands swing low voltages so I will end up building a diode jumbler eventually... but as I already said I think there will be a lot of ways to connect DK outputs safely to other synths while getting started

Wing Pinger seems very cool but still rarely available so I haven't looked too deeply into it

Return to “General Gear”