glitch granular

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dude
fuck yeah!

glitch granular

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:43 pm

it could be anything. modular, desktop, pedal. i don't care.

part of me is into a few things.

maybe a teaspoon cas

maybe a gieskes dep2b

maybe a phongene.

i would love to make it have bananananadana jacks but whatever. i don't want to start a euro system for a little granular glicth. i just want a little live input glitch/granular processing that can deal with sidrassi/modcan.

cocoquantus need not apply.

i have trouble keeping up with what has been done and what is currently available. seems the tools i seek may not be easy to find.

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Red Panda Particle is pretty excellent at this!

http://redpandalab.com/products/particle/

Sorta combines pitch and delay into glitch madness.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm

i should mention off the off the top of my head i have explored to general distaste (various reasons):

cocoquantus (too lofi, too obscure, too noisy)
red panda (too many modes all sort of blah)
masf possessed (i loved this one, output seemed inverted and produced weird phasing effects and the sampling was so choppy that clicks were completely unavoidable...therefore needed too much filtering to be able to enjoy the high end of most things. other than that it was fucking ace).
phonogene (fucking euro, other than that the new firmware version looks about perfect).

i haven't used gieskes (clearly lofi but maybe in a usable way)
and want to try a teaspoon cas.

i am also not opposed to software getting this job done but software is the biggest bonerkiller ever in terms of things being interactive and fun to use.

there is also that hexe revolver pedal but i really dislike guns and the artwork is just so shitty and poorly done and gun related. turns me off in a way so perfect that i wouldn't even consider that device. and if i did i would have to defile the face, making it largely harder to sell if i didn't party happily with it.

the other thing i dislike about software conceptually is the "preset mind" i like to fiddle, explore and touch. i don't need repeatable and i hate presets. i like simple devices well suited and engineered to the tasks they perform.

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I never got it to work on my ensoniq eps16+ (Think my disk was damaged) but many people have had luck with the sonic destruction disk which gives you a granular delay, bit depth reducer and some kind of freq shift effect. Can be used on the internal sounds or live input. Maybe a rack version would serve your purposes?
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 pm

A lot of money and real estate but gotharmans little deformer + nana expander!! Worth it for the granular effects alone

also its made by the same guy who coded the phonogene firmware
Last edited by iamgoldman on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 pm

bit depth reduction isn't quite it at all. i have a gorgeous analog modcan freq shift in the modular and anything delay like is probably missing the point.

like editing pieces of the input and potentially rearranging them. phonogene really is quite amazing but there must be a non euro way.

i would likely rather have software than racks. but maybe those old roland/boss half racks would do it?

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:17 pm

How do you feel about turnado for the ipad? I suspect thats not your bag.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Boss rsd 10 can sample and playback and its full of interesting burps and hiccups in its crude pitch tracking, but I wouldnt call it granular.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:21 pm

ah yes forgot to mention. i had the deluxe version of the little deformer.
the interface and i did not get along. just way too complex for the kind of thing i want to do, namely: process live audio. nothing else. no memory. no patches. no 22.5 x 1y19 different modes and setting up routing/blah blah blah.

i mean think of the phonogene. it even has the right amount of memory. just whatever was in the buffer before power off. that is genius imo. literally perfect use of creative memory without getting into the nausea of terrible terrible crappy fucking digital pieces of shit that started in the 80's and never fucking stopped. like vomit and smooth jazz. should stop now.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 pm

no ipad so no ipad apps. gf has an ipad and every music app i have tried on there makes me either feel like i am going to accidentally break the ipad or (more likely) that i want to fucking break the ipad lol.

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Ah poop... Well you can wait for cloudscapes to finish his anti nautilus!!

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Or eventide time factor as a looper, can edit start and end points but I dont know if you can midi that.

JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Oh. Or a microgranny by standuino.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 pm

i think i had the popping of my glitch cherry by abusing my boss dd2 or 3. that thing was awesome but i haven't found one that feels right to me in my middle age. it might just be that i remember it flatteringly. the equivalent of the fx i seek would be to clone myself and have two hands to tweak that delay pedal on whatever live input i was otherwise up to. now of course i can do these via the modern method of recording, but alas, totally looking for live input.

maybe octatrack? interface/feature-creep and just way too much nonsense with potential build quality/firmware nonsense put me off. also i am not a fucking dj.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:31 pm

is micorgranny sd based? like more into memory manipulation rather than live input?

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 pm

iamgoldman wrote:Ah poop... Well you can wait for cloudscapes to finish his anti nautilus!!
yeah there's this, didn't mention it because it's not officially out yet, but here it is

Last edited by cloudscapes on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 pm

I think its microsd... Forgot you were looking for live input. Got carried away with suggestions haha. But its also arduino based. Prob more effort than its worth but an input could probably be snuck in there somehow.

... Now i wanna buy one and try rigging it up

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 pm

midi is not welcome in fact things lose major points just for including midi jacks. eventide bothers me. the little display. too many knobs but not enough for everything that the device does. basically menu diving through complex things that really are not dedicated purposeful devices. computer does what that thing does and doesn't feel much worse.

twincities
Wiggling with Experience

Post by twincities » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:35 pm

dude wrote:
red panda (too many modes all sort of blah)
it may have a bunch of modes that aren't so great, but honestly the random mode is probably the best sounding granular pedal you can buy right now. i'd reconsider it!

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:35 pm

cloudscapes wrote:
iamgoldman wrote:Ah poop... Well you can wait for cloudscapes to finish his anti nautilus!!
yeah there's this, didn't mention it because it's not officially out yet, but here it is

;) just lookin out for ya buddy

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 pm

iamgoldman wrote:
cloudscapes wrote:

;) just lookin out for ya buddy
thanks ;)

it's also gonna be really hard to grab when it does come out :( because of part-time-ness and needing to spread them over a few forums.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 pm

ooh sonic crayon antinautilus quite nice. will it exist at some point? hasn't it been in the works for like years? nice to have something not in beta.

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Sorry too make too many suggestions but glitching excites me and Im having a weird wired day, but I think I found a good one!

Sonic Crayon Anti-Nautilus v2

Edit: Aw someone beat me :)
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 pm

i think so too. just doesn't exist.

iamgoldman
One Bad Poster

Post by iamgoldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:51 pm

I have hope it will see the light of day soon...

Edit: it requires spending ridiculous amounts of money, but the folktek time machine series seems pretty capable

Return to “General Gear”