glitch granular

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

T of J
Common Wiggler

Post by T of J » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 am

mckenic wrote: Anyone else hear "Sampling, sampling, Stop it, Stop it." towards the end???
:eek:
sampled :tu:

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Uhm wow... count me in if you guys decide to do this as a kit or something. I'd be down for etching some wicked enclosures for this if people were interested. :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm in.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 pm

@tragedybysyntax - Oh hellz yeah!!! Count me in too please!

Ive been looking at this thing and de-soldered the crap I put on there! Its got 4 jacks, 3 pots, a switch and 1 eight-turn pot. I just know I'm gonna feck something up if I keep going and don't know where to get an 8-turn pot anyway. Jack to RCA adapters are the way to go here IMHO. I was thinking of just putting the PCB on some standoffs and a plastic base kinda like I did with my Atmegatron pcb... and using a plastic CD cover to keep crud off the top of it.
But if there is the possibility of an etched case... Oh Yeah!!! :drunkhomer:

Hope this makes sense -

A few people have asked about these. I don't own the code or the rights to distribute the Eval. Boards or anything but I can help with set-up and uploading yourself! :tu: All I did was follow the Numberz tuts on TipTop Audio and some stuff on the SpinSemi site and I'm a doofus!

I also have no problem if a few lads wanna send me their Eval. Board for programming - no charge of course, just cover return shipping :-) I don't know... is that something people would want to try? Perhaps someone in the US could do it too so return postage wouldn't be a big thing?

Incidentally I did this back in the day for folks who couldn't get LSDj burned on a cart and it worked out well in the most part - got stung a few times with postage back to the owners but you live and learn!

dude I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow as I'd be most anxious for you to try this bad boy out but dont know if you could get a board in the US cheaper etc...

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Ah!
Context is a great thing...

[video][/video]

:hyper:

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 pm

i would love something like this… how soon will it be ready for general use?

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:38 pm

See that is the thing mate...
4 RCA to jack adapters, a 5-9v PSU (or USB cable) and whatever case you want and your good to go with this board!

They are available in the US, Europe and Asia...
http://www.spinsemi.com/distributors.html

Experimental Noize do an embeddable board for under $30 but you still need the I/O gubbins and while you can programme it yourself they kinda dont support it the manual says... Custom sets will have minimum order quantities and may incur additional programming costs and program development costs.
http://www.experimentalnoize.com/wp-con ... C8-XXX.pdf

So IMHO the Eval board is the way to go, some case and some adapters... plus the Z-DSP, other FV-1 thingies only have 8 slots & this has 8 built-in programmes with 8 writable slots.

EDIT Or there is this but I want an etched enclosure far more :-)
http://diydsp.com/livesite/pages/Centurion

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Wow, this is getting very hard to resist...

I wonder how we could get clock in?

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 am

That would be the Z-DSP :hihi:

:tu:

BTW... Oh Shit... I just 'discovered' the H9 :waah:
dude look at this from 1:11 -> 2:14

[video][/video]

Crap... new want!
Lol!

Edit And from here - viewtopic.php?t=116808&highlight=eventide++harmonizer - makers says You can send 5v control voltage to the pedals to control parameters. You can also send an attenuated clock and the Pedals can map that to Tap tempo

lintfresh
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lintfresh » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Wow, this FV-1 chip is really exciting! I'd heard of it, but never realized that it was this approachable for DIY.

I'm strongly considering making a module design using this. Not quite what you guys are talking about doing with making a tabletop unit, but similar. I think I could add CV inputs pretty easily too!

mckenic, are you using the Greenwood algo in the videos? It sounds really interesting!

Solid gold! :nana:

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:00 pm

:tu: Yup lintfresh, all Greenwood. Hoping to do some other of my favs over the weekend :hihi: I know your talking about DIYing it but there is the Z-DSP and the new Qu-bit module for CV out there but PLEASE keep us posted if you do something :tu:

Now for my 'dafuq, wait, what?' moment...
This guy already did what we want (but that was awhile ago!) - http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... ic=70381.0

This guy already built a standalone pedal -
http://www.aresaudio.com/stomp-reverb.html

And (read the whole thread)... the f00kin EHX Pedals use an FV-1!!! This thing is bloody everywhere! This chap figured out which pins to lift -
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11926

So Im thinking, someone with smarts might know how to attach an 8 way switch (or add memory and have MORE fx) and a female USB connector to a 'doner' EHX pedal and we could have our own programmable 'Glitch Boxes' from off the shelf pedals!!!

Head = spinning!

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 pm

oh my didn't realize all this has been going on in here. need to catch up.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:26 am

I would love to get into the FV-1 but as far as I know there isn't any dev software for Mac that you don't have to jump through several burning hoops for :(

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm

monome'd myself today...

best apps?

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 pm

@Ginko - I have a CRAP Win 7 laptop that Im keeping around for this, minecraft and AudioGL... works fine indeed with the drivers and software being the only 'difficult' part. Its no more difficult than installing a USB printer or joystick etc.

Ok so quick update - seems like the standard on the Spin Forums is for mostly mono fx with Left In/Left Out so Imna stick to that and not try 'stereo-fy' everything.

I have picked my fav 8 programmes and if anyone wants 'em shoot me a PM :-) Im also very happy to programme boards for folks who dont have access to the stuff - shoot me a PM :-) So now its on to the hardware which Im hoping a fellow wiggler can sort and a case that I hope Tragedy can sort?

[video][/video]

f00k ye4h!!!

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:13 pm

rocknroll!!!!!

:sb:

can't wait to see how this shapes up!

i am off in phonogene/monome territory. my 64 should arrive soon. staring the party van and monolase directly in the face.

what appears to me currently is that i want a way to capture (and this is more of a workflow thing and less about granular-glitch necessarily) the initial processing and be able to then further explore/record/glitch down the line. like a macro and micro simultaneously....biting off more than i can chew for the time being.

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 pm

out of curiosity ... i have no intention of getting into spinasm or windows but sounds as if some of those programmes/hex files are floating around on the interwebs, and you'd just flash them onto an eeprom and put it in your circuit?

if so, that does sound appealing. [/url]

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 pm

dude wrote:rocknroll!!!!!

:sb:

can't wait to see how this shapes up!

i am off in phonogene/monome territory. my 64 should arrive soon. staring the party van and monolase directly in the face.

what appears to me currently is that i want a way to capture (and this is more of a workflow thing and less about granular-glitch necessarily) the initial processing and be able to then further explore/record/glitch down the line. like a macro and micro simultaneously....biting off more than i can chew for the time being.
Lol! I SO get where you are coming from! Thats why one of the demos was with the Looper pedal. Its not the greatest pedal in all fairness Im thinking about something like the Ditto Looper 2... not sure yet!

The Phono & Monome are a rabbit hole all of their own! I just used my Arduinome as an OSC trigger box - really didnt get to use the full potential of it and kinda moved away from it. Still, the Party Van looks so AMAZING that I might use Lemur and try map it out! Let us know how it goes?

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:48 pm

mxmxmx wrote:out of curiosity ... i have no intention of getting into spinasm or windows but sounds as if some of those programmes/hex files are floating around on the interwebs, and you'd just flash them onto an eeprom and put it in your circuit?

Almost exactly mxmxmx - but even simpler IMHO! All you do is install the drivers & Spin Assembler programme. Your board then shows up over USB. All I did after that was copy-paste from the programmes on the Spin Semi Forums... some great stuff out there!

So its copy-paste over USB!

:nana:

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:38 am

mckenic wrote:
mxmxmx wrote:out of curiosity ... i have no intention of getting into spinasm or windows but sounds as if some of those programmes/hex files are floating around on the interwebs, and you'd just flash them onto an eeprom and put it in your circuit?

Almost exactly mxmxmx - but even simpler IMHO! All you do is install the drivers & Spin Assembler programme. Your board then shows up over USB. All I did after that was copy-paste from the programmes on the Spin Semi Forums... some great stuff out there!

So its copy-paste over USB!

:nana:
i see. that's neat... i had to get some stuff from smallbear so i've just added an FV-1 to my order.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:55 am

Your gonna have a BLAST!!!
Enjoy!!!

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:42 pm

i am glad this thread seems to be benefiting people. so much development and exploration. reminded me of so much and opened my eyes to even more.

right now i am so stoked for monome and am finding round three of phonogene to be by far the best. this little makenoise system is a PERFECT entry/jump-off point to bring into another level. i feel it affords a ton of flexibility

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:11 am

mckenic wrote:seems like the standard on the Spin Forums is for mostly mono fx
so for stereo you'll want two :mrgreen:
mckenic wrote:I have picked my fav 8 programmes and if anyone wants 'em shoot me a PM :-) Im also very happy to programme boards for folks who dont have access to the stuff - shoot me a PM :-)
:yay: :hail:
mckenic wrote:So now its on to the hardware which Im hoping a fellow wiggler can sort
i'll give it a shot, but all depends on where you want to take it ... still undecided myself if i want it in a stompbox or next to the modular ... but lots of possibilities 8_)
mckenic wrote:
dude wrote:what appears to me currently is that i want a way to capture ... and be able to then further explore/record/glitch down the line. like a macro and micro simultaneously....biting off more than i can chew for the time being.
Im thinking about something like the Ditto Looper 2
tested that one recently as a client brought one in: very nice. 5 min top sound, dead easy, compact, sturdy ... i'm prob getting one to capture the playing and then have my hands free for wiggling ... bit of a shame the speed control factor is only 2 (you record in halfspeed and play back at double speed as well) but even now the guy complained about 'these useless features' he's sure he'll never-ever need :lol: so actually quite daring for a mainstream firm like tc :tu:
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:14 pm

um jfc the party van. end of story.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

i dare every single person who has touched this thread to read that fucking manual.

Return to “General Gear”