Nord Drum 2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

splonge
Learning to Wiggle

Post by splonge » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:39 am

hifienvelope wrote: I'll get a kick trigger soon, but I was wondering if anyone here has used one of the cheapo midi pads with the ND2 and if so, what the experience was like. Have any thoughts to share on which perform better or worse? I'm interested to hear. Is it worth it to just get the Nord pad?
I've triggered mine from a TD kit (both Midi out and the triggers), a cheap Midi keyboard, BeatStep pro etc. Midi just works and the triggers are configurable so you can't really go wrong.

kirklandish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kirklandish » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:36 pm

I just got a ND2 to pair with the Octatrack, looking forward to exploring this combo.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:15 am

Old stock of ND2 with Pad are currently on sale at 2/3 what the new ND3p cost. But with what initially sounds like good effects separate on each pad the ND3p might still turn out a better deal? :hmm:

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:13 am

beside the soundbank on the official norddrum page, is there anything else out there in the internet?
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

sonnobadger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sonnobadger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:48 pm

I didn't see other banks out there, I'm quite pleased with the official ones. I was thinking about sculpting my own sounds during the holydays.

I've been using the Quad Clock Distributor to trig the nord drums 2, it's pure pleasure.

Now I want to send the midi out of the Drums 2 to my Akai S1100, it's receiving data, but no sounds yet, my midi numbers look right... I'm trying anything to avoid drawing notes in Ableton with the a mouse.

EDIT
I found the problem... That thing in front of the sampler... The main volume knob was all the way down... Thank you. :yay:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Has anyone used the MIDI Input to trigger the ND2 ?

I have two questions: is it velocity sensitive ? does note length cause double triggers when using Global MIDI channel ?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Has anyone used the MIDI Input to trigger the ND2 ?

I have two questions: is it velocity sensitive ? does note length cause double triggers when using Global MIDI channel ?
1) Yes it is velocity sensitive. Very expressive not just with volume but timbre as well.
2) No double triggers.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks. I've never tried MIDI (weird if you consider how much of a MIDI nut I am) but now I decided I'm gonna go for trigger-to-MIDI instead of using the back-side jacks.

So thank you for your answers, much appreciated.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Paranormal Patroler: Jag använder en Ladik trig-to-midi modul för att göra exakt det här. Bon apetit!

12eightyfive
Common Wiggler

Post by 12eightyfive » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:29 pm

chvad wrote:

I've had issues with double triggers when using MIDI, definitely. Everything would trigger channel 1 in addition to whatever else I was triggering, I ended up just muting the first channel and being able to use the other 5 without issue. Going to give it a shot later with a keystep and report back.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:33 pm

maltemark wrote:Paranormal Patroler: Jag använder en Ladik trig-to-midi modul för att göra exakt det här. Bon apetit!
There is a 4HP version coming from av500 (check the DIY forum) which I think would be an ideal modular-to-ND2 convertor but I need more people to add their voice to mine so that av500 agrees to add velocity sensitivity based on incoming gate level. I can't imagine using the ND2 without velocity :zombie:

I think the Ladik doesn't respond to velocity .. does it? At least that's what dissuaded me from using it (I think it had a fixed velocity at 120) Doepfer a-192-1 does change based on incoming gate level, I have that, but I'd rather use that for CC's exclusively.

Did you have any issues when sending long gates? Pulses longer than 5ms cause double triggers when being send at the backside jacks so I'm hoping I can avoid that by using MIDI.

Tack för hjelpen maltemark!
12eightyfive wrote:I've had issues with double triggers when using MIDI, definitely. Everything would trigger channel 1 in addition to whatever else I was triggering, I ended up just muting the first channel and being able to use the other 5 without issue. Going to give it a shot later with a keystep and report back.

Hmm, that sounds different to double triggers. That's like a false trigger ... if you let me know more on how you've set it up I'll make sure to see if I can help with that. Seems (from the top of my head) that that's an issue with MIDI assignment from inside the ND2.

EDIT

The manual mentions working on the trigger sensitivity, maybe check how you've set up channel 1. What's your setup ?
Last edited by Paranormal Patroler on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Yeah, no velocity - I also brought it up with him, so we are fighting a parallel fight here :) Är det tekniskt möjligt, dock?

Double triggers... had troubles with that using trigs/gates, but sometimes not... I cannot remember what setup I was using to get it to work. for the last year the ND2 has been packed away awaiting refurbishing because my cat bumped it, making it fall so badly the main parameter knob shaft was broken off at the hilt!

I think the ND2 is one of the most beautiful-sounding, versatile and well-balanced drum machines out there, still

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:53 pm

maltemark wrote:Yeah, no velocity - I also brought it up with him, so we are fighting a parallel fight here :) Är det tekniskt möjligt, dock?
It's most definitely doable! Both the a-192-1 does Gates-to-Note and the level of the Gate changes the note velocity (if Doepfer can do it I'm positive other people can) and so does that Iungo for CV-to-MIDI-chords. It bases the velocity on the incoming gate level (although it's 2.5 v / 127 velocity levels). Still, it's a great method of using mixers, attenuators, VCAs to control velocities.

Especially for drums, even more so with ND2 being so responsive, this is a must-have. I'm hoping both Ladik and av500 will hear us out! The av500 is 4HP with 8 inputs. It's 90 % to perfection already ... just adding velocity would make it 100%.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:01 pm

12eightyfive wrote:
chvad wrote:

I've had issues with double triggers when using MIDI, definitely. Everything would trigger channel 1 in addition to whatever else I was triggering, I ended up just muting the first channel and being able to use the other 5 without issue. Going to give it a shot later with a keystep and report back.

sounds like your global channel is the same as one of the drum channels. i've sequenced this from a DAW, an old as hell Dr 660, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute and from a number of synths with zero double triggers.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:22 am

I've moved over from fighting with the ND2 trigger inputs and now use midi input exclusively. The A-192-1 is perfect for this. No double triggering here and, yes gate level (amplitude?) is mapped to velocity.

The only minor issue if you are a Mac user is that there isn't a Mac port of the Doepfer setup utility. I work round it by running the utility on a an XP(!) vm in Virtual Box. Helpfully, the utility doesn't need to have a live midi connection to the module to do its thing. You can define your preset and then dump it to a sysex file to send it over later. Which means I don't have to waste time trying to get my midi setup working properly in the vm.

I have it set so the first 6 inputs on the A 192-1 convert to the ND2s default midi notes on channel 10 for the 6 drum voices. Works like a charm. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Edit
Very rough snip of a work in progress that is using trigger to midi conversion is here https://www.instagram.com/p/BN1t621hROO ... by=umcorps. Still developing this one so not yet sorted out the velocity variations but you get the idea.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:56 am

Doesn't the a-192-1 retain its settings ? You can set it up once with the toggle switches and forget, right? Still, I think a smaller dedicated module for this would be so much better. The Doepfer can be used for so much more!

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:13 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Doesn't the a-192-1 retain its settings ? You can set it up once with the toggle switches and forget, right?
Yup, its set and forget. So I did both of those things.

I don't really think its too big for what it does and mine certainly does more than just talk to the ND. When I was dreaming up the specs for a bespoke gate to trigger converter for the ND, complete with built in VCAs to modulate the trigger amplitude and an RJ45 connector, it was shaping up to have the same kind of footprint as the 192-1. Which became one of the reasons I didn't go there in the end and got the Doepfer instead.

I've just posted a request on the Pamela's Workout Mk II thread to see if it would be possible to add an option to set dynamic trigger levels in the new firmware. If that was possible, I wouldn't need to use so many VCAs. Pam 2 plus the 192-1 would do it all direct. Hope that request gets picked up. :hyper:

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:13 am

Can you use nord drum 2 with triggers from modular and nord pad at the same time? I know midi and pad works simultaneously from the demo video.
I'd like to play ND2 with modular sequencer trigger and while some moments i'd like hit the pad and play live in live performance situation.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:34 am

radar24 wrote:Can you use nord drum 2 with triggers from modular and nord pad at the same time? I know midi and pad works simultaneously from the demo video.
I'd like to play ND2 with modular sequencer trigger and while some moments i'd like hit the pad and play live in live performance situation.
I have the same question and performance goal...and an experience to share.

I drive my ND2 with the Varigate 4, and it took some fiddling but I've set the trigger inputs to now not have gate-based double triggers. Yay.

But the sound is impacted by plugging in the Nord Pad. It seems to change how the trigger inputs respond. I couldn't dial in sounds predictably with triggers going in and having the Nord Pad connected via the included cat 5 cable.

What are others' experiences with this?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:04 pm

So, to all those of us who wanted one module to connect their Eurorack with the ND2 with just one cable I present:

6 trigger/gate inputs, velocity sensitive, you can even set a curve right from the module. It's easy to program and it has a ND2 setting to begin with :hihi: I added a mute option during Play Mode so one button press will mute your drums (hey, you can't have that many switches on your setup, right?) which I think is useful. Also Panic button and several other tricks.

:party: :party: :party:

It also works with piezos, albeit I haven't tried it exactly but vj is cool and added an option for it which also "filters" double triggers.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Oouh!

You tried it sir?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:31 am

Ordered!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 am

mckenic wrote:Oouh!

You tried it sir?
Mine is on the way, but I worked on this and another module with vj so I know all about it! :hyper: I will report as soon as I test it with my Roland synth. My ND2 is back in Athens for the time being.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Quick n dirty. Just arrived this morning....

[video][/video]

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed May 03, 2017 12:28 pm

:goo: Glad you liked it! And thanks for using the mute function at the end of the video. Got mine yesterday and did some initial tests with Roland synths. No video to show for it but really happy so far!

Return to “General Gear”