Nord Drum 2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:31 am

I looked at this and it looks like a pain in the ass to edit so I'd end up editing it via software, at which point I may as well use one of the many awesome drum machine plugins and save on space and inputs...

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:39 am

Panason wrote:I looked at this and it looks like a pain in the ass to edit so I'd end up editing it via software, at which point I may as well use one of the many awesome drum machine plugins and save on space and inputs...
Its edits a lot faster than you'd think. the layout is well considered. I have the Drum 2 and now the 3... the editing is pretty brisk and cohesive. when using drum software and dragging a mouse around... it doesn't feel, to me, any more efficient.

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am

By the way, for got to update in this thread... when I switched to a laptop-style 12V power supply, rather than the cheapo thing that came with it, the whine never showed up again.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:58 pm

soundshaper wrote:By the way, for got to update in this thread... when I switched to a laptop-style 12V power supply, rather than the cheapo thing that came with it, the whine never showed up again.
Heads up regarding ND3p and noise. I resently got one second hand where some preset had a wining hiss after the sound decayed. As i turns out Nord fixed this issue related to the effect section way back in 2016.
If your ND3p only have four preset banks A-D a firmware upgrade will sort the noise and enable four aditional preset banks E-H.

Regarding the PSU I guess the electronich is alright, but I find it incredible they dare sell this unit for professional use with this thin flimsy and way to short leads. Better insolation and protection sleeve with a couple meters longer cable would match the build qualety of the actual pad. Raise your hand anyone stepped on a cable or accidently had a stand sitting on a cable through a gig or practise.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 am

Funny enough, I liked the Nord Drum 2 so much that I now have a second one on its way, I would like to have stereo, but also I feel that I could use more sounds, 6 is not enough for me and not really interested in sampling, I feel like it looses the magic by sampling, and becomes kind of static... Maybe that is just me. But overall I am super impressed

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 am

acidbob wrote:Funny enough, I liked the Nord Drum 2 so much that I now have a second one on its way, I would like to have stereo, but also I feel that I could use more sounds, 6 is not enough for me and not really interested in sampling, I feel like it looses the magic by sampling, and becomes kind of static... Maybe that is just me. But overall I am super impressed
I had multiple units for a while as well - was great if you wanted to process a particular sound separately from the others (not have individual outs was a cost-cutting measure that should have been revisited IMHO)

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 am

Currently experimenting using two ND3 tuned for melodic percussion and synth sounds. Its compact form factor lends itself very well for this type of use.

Also have an original ND and a ND2 w/pad in the arsenal. Hoping to make the pad work with my SDS-V. It seems there is some filtering and amplification inside the ND2 pad.

urogijani
Common Wiggler

How can I setup the ND2 to not double trigger with modular ?

Post by urogijani » Sun May 05, 2019 1:44 am

Hello. If I send normal gates from Eloquencer or Marbles etc. from modular the Nord Drum 2 is triggering 2x. I tried to set the ND to different trigs and setting up the treshold but the problem is still there. Is there a gate to trig converter or something like that ? How do you use your ND with modular ? Thanks so much for the answers !!!

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Re: How can I setup the ND2 to not double trigger with modul

Post by andybizarre » Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 am

urogijani wrote:Hello. If I send normal gates from Eloquencer or Marbles etc. from modular the Nord Drum 2 is triggering 2x. I tried to set the ND to different trigs and setting up the treshold but the problem is still there. Is there a gate to trig converter or something like that ? How do you use your ND with modular ? Thanks so much for the answers !!!
Your question has been answered before right here in this thread. But you`re right, the ND2 double-triggers if the trigger is longer than approx. 5ms. Be careful, the double trigger may sound like flanging, depending on your gate length. I`m using mine with 3 A-162s. The Beat Step Pro works with the smallest gate length only. Of course there are other options in Euro. Look for gate modifiers, PWM modulators, gate-trigger converters or trigger delays. Besides Doepfer (A-162, A-142-1), Ladik, Malekko, 2HP come to mind.

If you need the sounds to be sensitive to velocity, you can carefully modulate the trigger signals with VCAs, or stick to MIDI. The great thing about the ND2 is that you can throw everything to all its inputs (MIDI+triggers) simultaneously, it just fires.

urogijani
Common Wiggler

Post by urogijani » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks for the answer. I thought I buy 2x Ladik U-030, or an U-030 and a R-110 for triggers and an SSF Muton so I have VCAs and also mutes for individual drum channels. A-162 and A-142-1 will reserve too much space in my portable rack. Which modulaes do you think from Malekko and 2HP for the gate to trigger solution ?! Thanks so much !!!
andybizarre wrote:
urogijani wrote:Hello. If I send normal gates from Eloquencer or Marbles etc. from modular the Nord Drum 2 is triggering 2x. I tried to set the ND to different trigs and setting up the treshold but the problem is still there. Is there a gate to trig converter or something like that ? How do you use your ND with modular ? Thanks so much for the answers !!!
Your question has been answered before right here in this thread. But you`re right, the ND2 double-triggers if the trigger is longer than approx. 5ms. Be careful, the double trigger may sound like flanging, depending on your gate length. I`m using mine with 3 A-162s. The Beat Step Pro works with the smallest gate length only. Of course there are other options in Euro. Look for gate modifiers, PWM modulators, gate-trigger converters or trigger delays. Besides Doepfer (A-162, A-142-1), Ladik, Malekko, 2HP come to mind.

If you need the sounds to be sensitive to velocity, you can carefully modulate the trigger signals with VCAs, or stick to MIDI. The great thing about the ND2 is that you can throw everything to all its inputs (MIDI+triggers) simultaneously, it just fires.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

urogijani wrote:Which modulaes do you think from Malekko and 2HP for the gate to trigger solution ?! Thanks so much !!!
Malekko Quad Gate Delay and 2HP BRST and DELAY. Less suited to trig conversion, but very handy for voltage controlled shuffling of your beats. For simple gate-trigger conversion, a plain decay envelope might work, too. Maybe have a look at the A-142-2. Attack and decay times go as low as 2ms, so this could be your cheapest and smallest option.

urogijani
Common Wiggler

Post by urogijani » Wed May 08, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks, I will look on those too. Is there any pro/con to using it with midi not with triggers ? For example using it with an Ladik - M218 ? Or with sequencer from modular which can handle also CCs so I can modulate it's parameters too !?
andybizarre wrote:
urogijani wrote:Which modulaes do you think from Malekko and 2HP for the gate to trigger solution ?! Thanks so much !!!
Malekko Quad Gate Delay and 2HP BRST and DELAY. Less suited to trig conversion, but very handy for voltage controlled shuffling of your beats. For simple gate-trigger conversion, a plain decay envelope might work, too. Maybe have a look at the A-142-2. Attack and decay times go as low as 2ms, so this could be your cheapest and smallest option.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Wed May 08, 2019 5:37 am

urogijani wrote:Thanks, I will look on those too. Is there any pro/con to using it with midi not with triggers ? For example using it with an Ladik - M218 ? Or with sequencer from modular which can handle also CCs so I can modulate it's parameters too !?
Yep! You can throw triggers and midi at it at the same time. :nana:

nemox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nemox » Tue May 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi !
Does anyone experienced a low volume issue ?
I trig it with an eloquencer and Iam wondering what is the best setting...?
I tried different ones (trig type, threshold, sensitivity) but cannot find anything that make that machine louder.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm

nemox wrote:Hi !
I tried different ones (trig type, threshold, sensitivity) but cannot find anything that make that machine louder.
Yes the nd2 output is quiet. To use it together with modular I use a Ladik input/amp module. Can't remember the name... Been off my music kit for months... But I'm coming back...

nemox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nemox » Thu May 30, 2019 9:00 am

Too bad...
But at least this is a good reason to rediscover my forgotten Ears !

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu May 30, 2019 11:10 am

Any major reason not to buy a ND3 over finding a used 2?
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu May 30, 2019 11:27 am

Bath House wrote:Any major reason not to buy a ND3 over finding a used 2?
You program much faster on the ND3, but miss out on the great tactile buttons ND2 / 1 has. For me the effect section win out on the missing synth parameter ND2 has.
I own all three versions and hang on to the ND2 mostly for the small form factor and pad inputs which ND3 are missing.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Nord Drum 3P though?

Was considering an MPC Live or Deluge but I just kind of need more drums and this looks very legit with a kick pedal trigger...

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm

StillNotWorking wrote:
Bath House wrote:Any major reason not to buy a ND3 over finding a used 2?
You program much faster on the ND3, but miss out on the great tactile buttons ND2 / 1 has. For me the effect section win out on the missing synth parameter ND2 has.
I own all three versions and hang on to the ND2 mostly for the small form factor and pad inputs which ND3 are missing.
I also wish they'd kept the traditional nord buttons for this. Not sure why they went softy.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:41 pm

From one of the YT videos when ND3 where introduced they mentioned the soft buttons will more likely survive drumstick mishaps :oops:

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:47 pm

seems reasonable!

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm

chvad wrote:I also wish they'd kept the traditional nord buttons for this. Not sure why they went softy.
my understanding about why they used softer buttons on the 3P is because they would hold up better to accidental drum stick strikes

edit: oops just repeating exactly what StillNotWorking said :oops:

nemox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nemox » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:08 pm

SonicVoltage wrote:
nemox wrote:Hi !
Yes the nd2 output is quiet. To use it together with modular I use a Ladik input/amp module. Can't remember the name... Been off my music kit for months... But I'm coming back...
Is it the A-530 ?
Iam hesitating with the Pica Input.

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:58 am

Nord Drum 2 arrived yesterday after a very modest auction offer. It has totally surpassed my expectations - the organic sounds you can sculpt are really something else. I was in two minds between the 3P or holding off until a 2 comes on the market. I wanted the versatility of the triggers and the option of having pads or not, which I think are both huge pluses over the 3P.

The 6 triggers are wonderful and after a couple hours with pairing it with Grids, Pams and Meadowphysics, I think I’ve found my ideal drum source - so much so that I sourced a new Nord Pad to complete the package (and easily store away when not in use). It's no wonder they are so hard to find these days :sb:

Return to “General Gear”