Nord Drum 2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Re: Nord Drum 2

Post by jkammerl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am

It's amazing what sounds you get from the ND2 when you control it via MIDI, see http://kammerl.de/audio/mmm/

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:53 am

jkammerl wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am
It's amazing what sounds you get from the ND2 when you control it via MIDI, see http://kammerl.de/audio/mmm/
Sounds like a wall of modular :goo:
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:47 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:53 am
jkammerl wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am
Sounds like a wall of modular :goo:
There are so many midi synths that respond to a huge list of CC messages. This "demo" shows the untapped potential of modular-style CC modulation. If only there was an easy way to patch CC like CV! I'll have to try some things in VCV :)
Empress ZOIA should be able to do the same thing, no?
Last edited by cliffemu on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am

How much of a difference is there between the ND1 and ND2? Think these would work really well with Elektron stuff, and looking to pick one up. I'd prefer to save some money if the sound isn't that much different on the ND1.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:50 pm

If you look at the sound palette ND1 vs. ND2 I think you will quickly see why the ND2 is so sought after.
Some of the sound models yes are almost identical but the ND2 just has a lot more.

Redukt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Redukt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 am

If I remember correctly, the ND 1 doesn't respond to CC messages - so you won't be able to change parameters via the Elektron's P-Locks. That was the reason I chose the ND 2, as controlling it with the Octatrack is absolutely insane... :woah:

ancientbones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ancientbones » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am

Anyone using a Nord Drum + a looper for a very hands on drum machine?

I’m really interested in having a drum machine setup I can just jam a rhythm out on the fly and run with. Ideally for live techno.

The Nord drum seems perfect for this, just not sure what the best looper option would be. I’ve been looking at the Pigtronix infinity but it’s kinda pricier than I’d like to pay.

Are there any real alternatives to the Nord drums too? Seems the ND2 is getting harder and harder to come by. I’m almost ready to settle for a ND3.

Are there any other options that’ll get me where I want to go? Any MIDI sequencers that might work in the same fashion?

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 am

ancientbones wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am

I’m really interested in having a drum machine setup I can just jam a rhythm out on the fly and run with. Ideally for live techno.

The Nord drum seems perfect for this, just not sure what the best looper option would be. I’ve been looking at the Pigtronix infinity but it’s kinda pricier than I’d like to pay.

Are there any real alternatives to the Nord drums too? Seems the ND2 is getting harder and harder to come by. I’m almost ready to settle for a ND3.

Are there any other options that’ll get me where I want to go? Any MIDI sequencers that might work in the same fashion?
I've been using an EHX 720 looper with a Nord Drum 3p on a project that I've been working on for a few months now, and it has been a great hands-on combo. I'm not sure, how you'd sync your loops to other instruments (or vice versa) in a live techno setup, though. A drum machine with a sequencer might be a less expensive route, but then you'd be tied to the grid.

ancientbones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ancientbones » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 am

electricfence wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 am
ancientbones wrote:

I've been using an EHX 720 looper with a Nord Drum 3p on a project that I've been working on for a few months now, and it has been a great hands-on combo. I'm not sure, how you'd sync your loops to other instruments (or vice versa) in a live techno setup, though. A drum machine with a sequencer might be a less expensive route, but then you'd be tied to the grid.
I’ve got an LXR right now but I just kind of hate the typical drum machine workflow. I’m definitely going to keep the LXR though. It’s a powerful machine.

I just think it’d be more fun to jam out on pads. As far as syncing, I know the Pigtronix and EHX 45000 can sync to MIDI. I think the Ditto X4 can too but I’m weary about TC’s quality. Haven’t heard great things.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:17 am

ancientbones wrote:

i've had similar interests since i heard it mentioned on the esoteric modulations podcast a while back.. thinking the 3p might be more interactive with the pads and won't blow a hole in my wallet since v2s have almost doubled in price.. and paying that much more for individual outputs isn't that high a priority

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 am

Personally speaking.. I find the ND1 to be the best version. It just sounds better. The added capabilities of the ND2 are great but I never used them. No regrets selling it and keeping the ND1.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:32 am

The only downside to the ND2 is the lack of individual outs. Everything else is great.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 am

1040df wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 am
Personally speaking.. I find the ND1 to be the best version. It just sounds better. The added capabilities of the ND2 are great but I never used them. No regrets selling it and keeping the ND1.
I guess this depends of the styles of music one is after. I cant hear any difference though.
But yes, I would have loved to have more assignable outputs, even if it had to be an expansion box

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am

i think the resonator mode on the next two generations is worth the price increase. those hang drum sounds (or whatever you call those) are beautiful. honestly pretty close to getting a 3p. but my account balance and are, um.. :slapfight:

blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 pm

I bought the original on impulse a couple years ago and liked it. I ended up replacing it soon after with the Nord Drum 2 to get the two extra channels and expanded synthesis possibilities. Definitely worth it from a sound design perspective.

As someone else mentioned, it is easy to program despite the single knob, but I'd prefer 6x audio outputs as opposed to trigger inputs. Not the use case they had in mind, obviously, but it would be so fun to run all the channels separately into a mixer without the need to record each first.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Does anyone have any tips for getting good claps? Most of my attempts have been fairly crap.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:12 am

Sadly not, I like what I can get out of the ND2, but for claps I sample them and make this sort of WMD Fracture thing,
Huge fan of real claps with bit reduction :)

What kind of claps are you looking to make?

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 am

Hi folks,

I'm selling my ND2 because I don't use it anymore and want to move to acoustic percussions.
I thought I'd post here, sorry if it's not appropriate.

It's like new, comes with the Nord pad, original boxes...
...and a DIY passive module with 6 inputs, 6 mute switches, and ethernet cable out, with ethernet to 6 jack cable.
(I honestly think the Ladik MIDI solution is the best when it comes to connecting ND and modular but you can try this one first)

PM if interested !
TURTLE project : http://vimeo.com/23648701
http://www.facebook.com/TURTLEPROJECT

FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug - Cwejman PH4 and more eurocrack
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 30#3046530

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am

im curious about the nord drum 2 (or 3).
does anyone have/know of any good examples of it doing more some experimental/abstract sounds?

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:00 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
im curious about the nord drum 2 (or 3).
does anyone have/know of any good examples of it doing more some experimental/abstract sounds?
Have you seen this one by R.Devine? "instagram.com/p/B8ot941nrYL/"
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

Return to “General Gear”