KORG to Remake ARP Odyssey

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Chopper wrote:Apparently the full sized one is coming soon....
damnit, was convinced I was going the route of the module but not sure now.

gaston
Common Wiggler

Post by gaston » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:21 am

The ARP Odyssey was the first synth that really caught my interest, just found it so appealing somehow.. But damn, there are so many other things I think I'll have so much use for right now, even at this new module price..

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Pretty sure I'm ready to buy the module. Please talk me out of it.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:37 pm

sizone wrote:Pretty sure I'm ready to buy the module. Please talk me out of it.
Buy it. :moneyburn:

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:51 pm

Is the module out soon? I'm getting antsy.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:19 pm

sizone wrote:Pretty sure I'm ready to buy the module. Please talk me out of it.
Tempted by it too, but for close to that price I could get a 64-bit iPad. I already have the Odyssei app but can only run it on iPhone.

I'm well aware that hardware synths are more fun to play with than the software equivalents (that's how I ended up with an MS-20 Mini) but I've accumulated too many hardware synths now, plus I'd still like to continue using the iPad platform for recording, sequencing, etc.

The Fall People
Common Wiggler

Post by The Fall People » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 pm

We have the Korg Arp Rev. 3 Keyboard. It is one of the most fun and great sounding little synths I have ever owned.

I grew up with very early electronic music so this thing takes me back to that very quickly. It sounds so great.

I am not keen on the small keys, but so far it isn't an issue.

We considered the rack unit when it came out but felt it defeated the whole purpose of the Arp revival. That instrument was meant to be played, to be taken out to shows and used as a highly interactive and engaging synth. Despite the small keys, the thing that makes this unit a treasure is just being able to play it. Think great guitar, violin or something similar in the hands of someone who can really play it. That is what the Arp is for synth players who play and express live.
The Fall People
Tokyo based electronic music performance, visual art and dance project.
http://www.thefallpeople.com

Rain In Eden
Silk Road Exotica - Blending electronic music with instruments and musical traditions from the Silk Road regions.
http://www.rainineden.com

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Has there been any recent word on when the Odyssey desktop modules will ship? Most sites I've seen still say 'November.'

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:27 pm

It's out. I've got mine!

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Mine's supposed to ship next week

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Got mine. I'm delighted to see that it does respond to pitch bend MIDI messages. Otherwise it is essentially the same thing. Which is a great thing...
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:21 pm

I did a little work today to figure out how the KARP would work as CV destination.
I'm reporting this as I've found very few actual reports on this aspect of the instrument.
The expression pedal input wants 0-10v to fully open the filter and any cable 1/8" to 1/4" seems to work. I then connected a sequencer to CV and gate.
That's all you can do, it seems.
It works as you'd expect and the keyboard does nothing, while there is a CV in connected.
However, take the CV out and connect it to your quantizer or sequencer transpose in and it works! Quite unexpected and frankly illogical, but most welcome.

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:16 pm

NewNewRon wrote:I did a little work today to figure out how the KARP would work as CV destination.
I'm reporting this as I've found very few actual reports on this aspect of the instrument.
The expression pedal input wants 0-10v to fully open the filter and any cable 1/8" to 1/4" seems to work. I then connected a sequencer to CV and gate.
It works as you'd expect and the keyboard does nothing, while there is a CV in connected.
However, take the CV out and connect it to your quantizer or sequencer transpose in and it works! Quite unexpected and frankly illogical, but most welcome.
Am I right in understanding that this means you can't 'play' your modular with the keyboard via the karp?

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Full disclosure: my friend has offered me a karp for 500GBP. Very tempted D:

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:22 pm

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
NewNewRon wrote:I did a little work today to figure out how the KARP would work as CV destination.
Am I right in understanding that this means you can't 'play' your modular with the keyboard via the karp?
Yes you can. Absolutely, but you have only gate and v/oct CV. Just the two outputs.

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:37 pm

NewNewRon wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Yes you can. Absolutely, but you have only gate and v/oct CV. Just the two outputs.
Gotcha, thanks!

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm

anyone else having issues with the resonance? seems like it doesn't really change over 80% of the fader throw, then goes from 0 to full on max acid self modulation, like it's either fully open or fully closed.

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

The Sh101 works the same way. If you are controlling it via the cv inputs, you can play the keys and that is what goes to the cv outs, and the internal voice is driven by the external cv input

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:40 am

sizone wrote:anyone else having issues with the resonance? seems like it doesn't really change over 80% of the fader throw, then goes from 0 to full on max acid self modulation, like it's either fully open or fully closed.
Which filter? I'd say 1 and 2 exhibit this behavior, while filter 3 has more noticeable change in the lower/mid range of the slider. I think it's just how those filters work, not a flaw with your particular synth. Filter 2 has a sweet spot near the top of the slider where you can get some really nice edge-of-resonance growl, but it's a narrow range so you just have to nudge it slowly.

Hans-g
Common Wiggler

Post by Hans-g » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 am

unexpectedbowtie wrote:Full disclosure: my friend has offered me a karp for 500GBP. Very tempted D:
Offer him 450 and get it :bananaguitar:

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 am

Jason Brock wrote: Which filter? I'd say 1 and 2 exhibit this behavior, while filter 3 has more noticeable change in the lower/mid range of the slider. I think it's just how those filters work, not a flaw with your particular synth. Filter 2 has a sweet spot near the top of the slider where you can get some really nice edge-of-resonance growl, but it's a narrow range so you just have to nudge it slowly.
thanks. yeah, #3 does have smooth full range travel.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Hey guys I'm maybe asking a dummy question but can I sequence the Arp Odyssey module or with keyboard to a OT via midi and play with the fx (with machine tool in OT) ??

I see lots of people using Sq1 but I would prefer use OT sequencer which is more fun to use.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Zerius wrote:Hey guys I'm maybe asking a dummy question but can I sequence the Arp Odyssey module or with keyboard to a OT via midi and play with the fx (with machine tool in OT) ??

I see lots of people using Sq1 but I would prefer use OT sequencer which is more fun to use.
Yes, the Odyssey has a MIDI input on the back, just plug and play. :tu:

Supermammal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Supermammal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 pm

That new fullsize really has me considering it....

But, am I just nostalging for the one I had in the 90's and/or being vain? (logically it seems wrong to pay that much extra for nothing other than fullsize keys)

Convince me the :75: price difference from the fullsize to smaller version is better saved than spent. (or if there's any reason I'm not being vain and should get the fullsize)

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:31 am

get the module and hook it up to what ever keyboard you want

Return to “General Gear”