KORG to Remake ARP Odyssey

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

replicalex
Common Wiggler

Post by replicalex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:45 am

Looks like the rev1 module stock is finally appearing in the UK... and OH NO!! its in stock at my local store... I really don't need this ... But I'm Gonna :banana:

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Is anyone using a karp with a karp module yet? Or does anyone know of a youtube or soundcloud file of the two being used together?

dramatichammer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dramatichammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:19 am

I picked up a super cheap <£400 Rev 3 last week on a whim. I've been playing around with it and it's fun but I'm not loving it so far... Has anyone got some interesting patches/videos/soundcloud tracks I can take inspiration from?

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:12 am

I've gotten some very satisfying noise from the ring mod. Trying playing two notes simultaneously on your keyboard, preferably with osc sync turned on.

The other fall back default for the thing is to set every switch to s/h or s/h mixer which can be set to it, set all the triggers to lfo and let it play itself.

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 am

Does anyone have any ideas for a travel case for the module?

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Been wondering about that myself. I've been making do with a Yamaha Reface bag in the meantime - it fits in okay!

dramatichammer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dramatichammer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 am

sizone wrote:I've gotten some very satisfying noise from the ring mod. Trying playing two notes simultaneously on your keyboard, preferably with osc sync turned on.

The other fall back default for the thing is to set every switch to s/h or s/h mixer which can be set to it, set all the triggers to lfo and let it play itself.
Thanks for this, had a load of fun with random pitch/everything sequences now getting some great shimmery bell leads out of it with ring mod + one osc. :bananaguitar:

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 pm

dramatichammer wrote: Thanks for this, had a load of fun with random pitch/everything sequences now getting some great shimmery bell leads out of it with ring mod + one osc. :bananaguitar:
have you tried doing as the korg advertising page suggests, taking the 1/4'' plug that came with the odyssey, plugging one end into the headphone jack and the other end into the external input jack?

WONDERS AWAIT

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 am

Al wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for a travel case for the module?
I can confirm that this soft Gator case fits the module:

I would've preferred a hard shell case but this is better than nothing...

minidilly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minidilly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 am

:minimoog:

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi -

I picked up a Korg Odyssey Module a few weeks ago.

The module works fine with a midi keyboard input, but I get no control using CV/gate/trigger inputs instead of midi.

My CV/gate/trigger keyboard is from Synthesizers.com and puts out a 5V gate.

- Any advice on getting the CV/Gate/Trigger inputs on Korg Odyssey Module to work would be appreciated.

Thanks
Larry

ualslosar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ualslosar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 pm

ualslosar wrote:Hi -

I picked up a Korg Odyssey Module a few weeks ago.

The module works fine with a midi keyboard input, but I get no control using CV/gate/trigger inputs instead of midi.

My CV/gate/trigger keyboard is from Synthesizers.com and puts out a 5V gate.

- Any advice on getting the CV/Gate/Trigger inputs on Korg Odyssey Module to work would be appreciated.

Thanks
Larry
- The problem was with the cheap adapters I bought to connect 1/4" cables to the module. The adapters don't work! Cheap ebay cr@p.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:05 pm

NewNewRon wrote:I did a little work today to figure out how the KARP would work as CV destination.
I'm reporting this as I've found very few actual reports on this aspect of the instrument.
The expression pedal input wants 0-10v to fully open the filter and any cable 1/8" to 1/4" seems to work.
Can anyone tell me the maximum safe voltage to feed to the pedal input?

I want to try adding velocity control of the filter, to the module version. I have a Doepfer A-190-2 MIDI interface, and I've just bought a Doepfer A-185-2 precision CV adder, so I can have volume * velocity + pitch CV (MIDI note) +/- 1V or 2V for octave switching.

It seems I can get up to +12.23V, at maximum everything - highest note (5V), volume CC on full, max velocity, and two spare inputs on the adder with switches set to +1V. Is that too much? I don't want to risk damaging it.

So far, I've only connected the adder to my multimeter, to watch the voltage.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 am

Probably 0-10 volts since the recommended pedal is a Korg VP-10

Slight overvoltage shouldn't hurt anything.

I know on the Korg you can plug a CV into the pedal from a sequencer to run VCO2.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks, TheDegenerateElite.

I don't think the 10 in VP-10 means 10V, because it appears to just be passive - a pot or dual pot, wired to some sockets. It would be nice to see a schematic of it, but I haven't found one.

10V seems reasonable though. Is that a common standard? I'm now wondering if I should make a box to connect it up, with a 10V zener diode and a couple of resistors. I'd just be guessing the resistor values, of course.

The pedal input seems to be a mono jack socket, so presumably they just use the pedal as a variable resistor, pulling a control voltage low, that's fed through a relatively high impedance.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:54 pm

traded some euro to switched on for one of these and man, i aint been this hype for a synth without v c env gens since i got my mono/poly almost 8 years ago
really looking forward to playing drone on this thing, and someday plugging keys or a sequencer into it :miley:

which filter yall preferin?

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm

I like the Rev 1 filter best, moremagic, though they're all useful. When I tried one in a shop, I only liked that filter, but it's a bit deceptive - that's the loudest one of the three.

It turns out I got it wrong about the max voltage from my Doepfer precision adder - it only goes up to 11. 11V, that is. Max everything but one switch gives 11V, then the other switch can't add any more.

I guess that makes it more likely that it can't damage the KARP module, though I might still do the zener diode and resistors thing anyway, before I try it.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:38 am

AndyHornBlower wrote:Thanks, TheDegenerateElite.

I don't think the 10 in VP-10 means 10V, because it appears to just be passive - a pot or dual pot, wired to some sockets. It would be nice to see a schematic of it, but I haven't found one.

10V seems reasonable though. Is that a common standard? I'm now wondering if I should make a box to connect it up, with a 10V zener diode and a couple of resistors. I'd just be guessing the resistor values, of course.

The pedal input seems to be a mono jack socket, so presumably they just use the pedal as a variable resistor, pulling a control voltage low, that's fed through a relatively high impedance.
I wasn't implying the VP-10 used 10 volts, no volume only pedals need voltage, that's expression pedals. I don't think the pedal input provides voltage to power them through a ring connection, does it?

I say 10 volts because Korg designed all the new voltage cv stuff to play nice with Eurorack "standards".

I would just keep your volatages lower anyways, a pitch CV over 10 volts is above 10 octaves in pitch so your modulation would just cutout or do weird high freq FMish stuff.

I also love the Rev 1 12 dB filter. They just scream.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 am

yeah out of the unracked modules i traded for it, i hung onto my LxD, since i love that -12dB/oct sound. glad to hear some praise for the whiteface filter, its the one im looking forward to most, so far as that goes :-3

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 am

TheDegenerateElite wrote:... no volume only pedals need voltage, that's expression pedals. I don't think the pedal input provides voltage to power them through a ring connection, does it?

I say 10 volts because Korg designed all the new voltage cv stuff to play nice with Eurorack "standards".

I would just keep your volatages lower anyways, a pitch CV over 10 volts is above 10 octaves in pitch so your modulation would just cutout or do weird high freq FMish stuff.
I hadn't considered it, but actually it could be done. Small condenser mics get powered like that - e.g. the one in a Yamaha Silent Brass mute (for trumpets etc). They feed power via a resistor which is a similar value to the impedance of the mic, or not too much smaller, so it makes a noticeable difference to the voltage.

If the original ARP schematics apply, they didn't do that, but there would be some fraction of the keyboard CV there, fed via a couple of resistors... I assume that's MIDI note CV, on the module.

I only want to do filter cut off control by CV, but I wasn't sure what the voltage standards were for Eurorack, beyond the 1V per octave rule. But, yes, I'll put it off until I can get a 10V zener diode to put in between (with resistors either side, to protect the precision adder). I might be able to built it into a pan head 1/4" jack. They're quite roomy.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am

I don't think you are going to hurt it by slight overvoltage. Run it through a attenuator first if you need to but most 0-10 volt stuff has some protection up to 25% or so. You don't want to run hot all day, but dipping up shouldn't bother it.

Maybe email Korg and ask over on the analog section of their forums.

The power through the ring is how almost all expression pedals work. Moog and EHX for example.

Most expression inputs allow for that.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks, TheDegenerateElite.

I think I'd prefer to limit it, rather than attenuate it, just so I've got the option of a calibrated 1V/octave key follow.

I can go lower than that by feeding the note CV to the input with the attenuator knob, and can reduce the effect of the velocity by changing the volume CC on the MIDI controller. It would be nice to remove the option to go higher than necessary though.

I've emailed Korg, as you suggested. I'll try their forum if that doesn't work.

I've converted a cheap expression pedal so it can be switched for different wiring standards - for guitar pedals and a keyboard, and I made a small "manual" which is a little box with a pot and mode switches, to do the same job, but worked by hand.

Some feed power to the ring, some feed it to the tip, and take the wiper signal from the ring instead. I have some expression pedal schematics I've saved, if anyone's interested.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am

Just ordered a full sized Rev 1 with the sequencer.

Also emailed Korg telling them to remake the 2600 before Behringer :hihi:

Edit: Should've mentioned the full size with the special edition sequencer is $1,299 right now.
Last edited by Birth_Chord on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:25 pm

I think they may have missed the opportunity to do the 2600.

But they ought to make a Euro & MU module that is just the filter section of the Odyssey, with all three filters in the module.

And then remake the Korg Trident MK II and PS-3300. :cloud:

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Dave Peck wrote:I think they may have missed the opportunity to do the 2600.

But they ought to make a Euro & MU module that is just the filter section of the Odyssey, with all three filters in the module.

And then remake the Korg Trident MK II and PS-3300. :cloud:
Email them. The rep seemed receptive and even emailed back a few times, they passed it along to their product management team.

Perhaps there's a stigma about telling a company what consumers want directly because our voices will likely get lost along the way, but they're not mind readers, they're human, and the alternative is them having no idea or pumping out stupid s#$@ while complaining uselessly on forums. Maybe these companies do need direction from their fans. Yea I'm sure Korg browses here occasionally but it's different being asked personally, at least to me.

Been feeling a bit too optimistic today since I squelched my GAS.

Return to “General Gear”