KORG to Remake ARP Odyssey

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah the PS 3100-3300! The soft synth version of those blew my mind. It’s an interesting approach to analog polys that nobody has really followed up on. I guess the originals had problems? But today’s tech would address most of that.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 pm

calaveras wrote: I guess the originals had problems? But today’s tech would address most of that.
Yes, that's putting it mildly. The original had buckets of discrete through-hole parts, about a mile of wire and a bazzilion hand solder joints:

The manufacturing cost would be cut to a fraction and the reliability would greatly improve just by replacing all of that with modern SMT boards and interconnects to eliminate almost all of the wires.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:Email them. The rep seemed receptive and even emailed back a few times, they passed it along to their product management team.
FWIW, I emailed Korg's "support" a while ago, about whether they would update the firmware on the keyboard Odyssey, to support pitch bend from MIDI - which the module version already did / does.

The response I got was truly bizarre. I was told it doesn't have a firmware, it's all analog. I pointed out that the MIDI interface was done by a CPU, like all MIDI interfaces, and that's the part that should be doing the MIDI pitch bend - and has a firmware.

I asked if there was someone I could talk to who could understand what I was asking - I tried to put that as tactfully as I could. I was told I'd get the same answers from someone else... I really hope that wasn't true, for Korg's sake.

The conversation / exchange of emails went on a little longer, but it got me precisely nowhere - so I didn't buy the keyboard version. I'd have bought it if there'd been an intention to fix it.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:
Email them. The rep seemed receptive and even emailed back a few times, they passed it along to their product management team.
I haven't done that, but I have had two or three long conversations with Korg reps at the NAMM show about these ideas, especially the Odyssey Euro filter module. They did seem pretty enthusiastic about it.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Dave Peck wrote:I haven't done that, but I have had two or three long conversations with Korg reps at the NAMM show about these ideas, especially the Odyssey Euro filter module. They did seem pretty enthusiastic about it.
I've never been to one of those (and am too lazy to go :)) but that seems like a good approach.

The problem with emailing them, is you're likely to encounter some know-nothing jobsworth who sees his role as deflecting enquiries rather than answering them (kind of a human FAQ system)... I was left with the strong impression that's what had happened, when I tried it.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 pm

AndyHornBlower wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:I haven't done that, but I have had two or three long conversations with Korg reps at the NAMM show about these ideas, especially the Odyssey Euro filter module. They did seem pretty enthusiastic about it.
I've never been to one of those (and am too lazy to go :)) but that seems like a good approach.

The problem with emailing them, is you're likely to encounter some know-nothing jobsworth who sees his role as deflecting enquiries rather than answering them (kind of a human FAQ system)... I was left with the strong impression that's what had happened, when I tried it.
I've never been either. Not too lazy, just hard to get to time wise.

Guess it depends on who you get, the person who responded to me raved about the 2600 and seemed really enthusiastic. Korg's been around a long time, I doubt they'd attract the same type of person as Amazon even for the same/similar job title.

We can assume or go based on experiences/evidence. So far mine leads me to believe Korg is still mostly full of musicians, even at lower levels, and deviates from this in management as is usually the case. Will my pleas alter Korg's course...? I doubt it, but again, feeling optimistic today, just made some hot sauce...

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Re: KORG to Remake ARP Odyssey

Post by smithjohn » Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 am

Does anyone have any insight whether negative voltages (e.g. from a bipolar eurorack source) into the pedal input can cause trouble or damage to the Odyssey?

I've been thinking of picking one of these up, it would be the icing on the cake to send euro stuff to modulate the filter and VCO2.

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 am

I don't know, smithjohn, but I'd be inclined to put a small Schottky diode between the two. They can drop as little as 0.2V, depending on the type you get, and you really aren't likely to miss that, as a fraction of the full 10V range.

I made up a 2HP panel with some fixed passive attenuators and a couple of different diodes, mostly for use with my Doepfer ribbon controller (Trautonium). It doesn't take long to do. Or you could cut a patch cable and solder a diode into one of the wires.

A normal silicon one drops 0.6V, so a Schottky one is better, but either would do. You could always change the diode later.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri May 22, 2020 2:06 am

The filter on the Odyssey already allows you to modulate it with negative or bipolar control voltages. The LFO and the S/H are both 'hard wired' to the filter as mod sources and they are both bipolar CV signals. A bipolar or negative CV into the filter via the pedal jack would not be any different.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 am

Thank you gents for the diode suggestion and the insight on the pedal jack :tu: time to start saving money.

Return to “General Gear”