Microgranny V2.0

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Microgranny V2.0

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 8:38 am

So I ordered one of the Microgranny V2.0's. Anyone else got one and eager to discuss it? I'm :hyper: but it's still one month away from delivery.

[video][/video]
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat May 03, 2014 8:55 am

I've 'noticed' it. It's a sampler right ? If takes batteries that would be pretty cool. I saw some of their gear in a Messe video.
Not big on the whole glitch noise thing, although who doesn't love crunchy samples.

Nevermind , got the video to Rez, it does take batteries which is cool.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 9:11 am

It's 16bit. The Future music Messe video says the sampels are 16bit but it plays at 12bit (IIRC). Recording on the on-board mic is 8bit.

From what I've gathered there is no interpolation on the grain handling so you hear clicks, but that can be hackable as it's open source.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat May 03, 2014 9:57 am

just got mine, have yet to do a lot with it but so far i can see it will be a good performance tool. which is what i got it for. from the small amount of midi testing I did it seems a bit limited - can only trigger the most recently played of the 6 samples. but i might be missing something, will spend some time with it this evening

EDIT - see below. I was missing something :doh:
Last edited by bmot on Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 am

Doesn't accept Program Change messages?

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Doesn't accept Program Change messages?
Yes it does! I've just read the instructions properly, it says CC 0 = preset change. That part of the instructions completely eluded me previously. In my defence, that information is split over 2 lines which made it kind of in a blind spot for me, plus I haven't actually tried to do that yet.

I need to sit down and play with it properly, so far i've only played with it stand-alone and triggered from the XBase09 synth track. XBase is not the ideal thing to be sequencing it with, but it was the nearest thing to try. Next will be with the RS7000 where I can do much more.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Let us know what your impressions of it are. I already bought one, but you know how this goes, I'm really eager to get my hands on it so any information would be appreciated. The videos on the tube are less than satisfactory!

I'm especially curious to see how well it works with incoming MIDI CC parameters. Do notice that the CC numbers controlling it are way bellow on the document on Bastl's site. It will be interesting to mess with stuff via MIDI.

It's also Velocity sensitive but when asked they told me Velocity only influences playback volume. I've been considering hacking the code to make it work on Crush (or some other parameter) as well. You know, to actually change the timbre.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat May 03, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm just messing with it now, on the RS7000 sequencer. You CAN alter crush via CC, have you seen the CC list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0? Crush is CC103 and it works without latency or delay, as does changing presets.

But the way programme change works is not what I was expecting. You can only change to samples on another bank, on the same pad. If you press another pad, the programme change will still move banks but to whatever is stored on that pad in the new bank. I haven't figured out how to play another pad within the same bank using programme change, i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if it just isn't possible.

I'll carry on experimenting and update you if I find anything important

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah, that's the list I told you about. I know Crush can be changed via CC. What I want to do is take advantage of the fact that the MG is velocity sensitive to not only change playback volume but change Crush (or some other aspect) as well. I don't know yet, maybe change grain size a bit? Something to alter the timbre of the sound when velocity changes.

Ok, so one needs to keep in the same pad. Hmm, not much of a limitation really as it's very easy to switch between pads, but still ... yeah I can see why it would piss some people off.

Thank you for the info man, I personally appreciate it a lot.

:tu:

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 pm

As for first impressions, it feels nice, is a good size, nicely designed case. Some of the text is hard to read and I kep needing a torch to remind myself what the buttons do. Playing with the mod wheel (grain size) gives instant niceness. Sampling works well, and it's easy enough to add your own from your computer, on the micro SD card (and you'll need an adapter if you haven't got one). I have only tried a few samples so far, still learning how different types of sounds are affected by the granular options

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 pm

I should have one here next week. Looking forward to trying it out. I have the Trinity from Bastl and they are great little boxes, definitely lo-fi but a joy to use, lots of fun and nicely designed. Trinity and MG2 will be a great little portable set up.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun May 04, 2014 5:13 pm

I ordered the last one with green knobs yesterday. Hope it'll arrive soon. Ill be running it through my phonogene - lofi granular galore :sb:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon May 05, 2014 4:50 am

Well, there were two left after I ordered so you got the last one. They say latest they'll ship is on June 2 so it might be earlier than that!

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Mon May 05, 2014 4:54 am

I'm kinda digging this. Think I'll be on the lookout when more drop..
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

RustyO
serious modular dude

Post by RustyO » Mon May 05, 2014 5:15 am

burnn_out! wrote:I'm kinda digging this. Think I'll be on the lookout when more drop..
Likewise, seems like a cool little box.
speak_onion wrote:@RustyO: You said compact and then listed more gear than I've ever owned. I salute you. :bananaguitar:
OctaEdit : A Software Editor and Librarian for the Elektron Octatrack

OctaZip : Intelligent Octatrack Archiver

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 am

I got mine on Saturday. Its really nice, they have kept it very simple too, I'll do a better demo/write up when I have more time but heres a quick video. I recorded a Knee Harp using the on board Mic, then hooked the MG2 up to the Tanzbar (I hate that name, why name a drum machine after animal cruelty??!) then messed about. The recording wasn't great and theres a bit of noise. This is down to me and not the MG2, playing samples from the card is nice and clean (if you want it to be).

[video][/video]
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 am

Nice and clean? Really? I hear aliasing on all the demos I've heard so far (even the ones on Bastl's site) so I took it heart that since it outputs at 12bit things will have a digital distortion.

Excellent demo by the way. Most musical I've seen so far! I would love to see more demos if not out of interest then out of sear musicality. Very nice indeed :tu:

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 am

Nice demo video! And it prooves, that the version with green knobs is shipping, which means that i'll be getting mine soon, too :bananaguitar:

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 am

Looks good, the LED display is a nice touch!
Paranormal Patroler wrote: From what I've gathered there is no interpolation on the grain handling so you hear clicks, but that can be hackable as it's open source.
This is massivly difficult to implement for some with no prior DSP knowledge. It's orders of magnitude harder than just shuffling sample grain around.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Mon May 12, 2014 11:54 am

The world needs more microgrannies! That's a nice lil sampler. And the price is good alright!
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Mon May 12, 2014 12:54 pm

dan_p wrote:I got mine on Saturday. Its really nice, they have kept it very simple too, I'll do a better demo/write up when I have more time but heres a quick video. I recorded a Knee Harp using the on board Mic, then hooked the MG2 up to the Tanzbar (I hate that name, why name a drum machine after animal cruelty??!) then messed about. The recording wasn't great and theres a bit of noise. This is down to me and not the MG2, playing samples from the card is nice and clean (if you want it to be).

[video][/video]
:hail: :hail: :hail: Awesome Dan!

Mine should ship latest today, but looks like I need to wait a little longer ...
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 13, 2014 5:37 am

cloudscapes wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote: From what I've gathered there is no interpolation on the grain handling so you hear clicks, but that can be hackable as it's open source.
This is massivly difficult to implement for some with no prior DSP knowledge. It's orders of magnitude harder than just shuffling sample grain around.
Yes, I fully understand that; it's been an issue on a couple of modules that do sampling back in the Euro part of the forum. I don't expect Bastl to implement interpolation on it but it would be nice, don't you think? The clicks are rather prevalent!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue May 13, 2014 11:32 am

cloudscapes wrote:Looks good, the LED display is a nice touch!
Perhaps one could implement short fade ins and outs for each grain. This would not avoid clicks but could attenuate them. But anyway. I think that those clicks belong to the character of lofi-ness.

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Wow! If you find this interesting, I suggest you read up on these guys. I've just been on their site and I'm really impressed with the background they are coming from:
http://www.bastl-instruments.com/about/
The Trinity instruments are interesting as well.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Fade ins and fade outs for each grain is what interpolation is all about, isn't it? I might be wrong here, it's a genuine question.

Return to “General Gear”