Microgranny V2.0

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Duplan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Duplan » Tue May 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Another question... Whenever I engage the crush effect, it seems that I get a dry signal and the wet signal altogether... Shouldn't it be the wet signal only ?

Cheers folks

Duplan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Duplan » Wed May 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Song I did entirely with MG, Particle pedal and reverb.

http://soundcloud.com/duplan/duplan-czech-ghosts

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:24 pm

forgive me if this is old news but thought i'd post as i couldn't find any definitive source of info on the amount of background noise experienced while the microgranny sits idle.

obviously it isn't too big of a problem because i haven't found mention of it too many times but some have posted about a motor-like sound when a sample isn't playing. i wasn't sure if something was wrong with mine because i couldn't hear it in posted youtube videos/soundcloud files but it was really bothering me.

the point? i took the battery out and used a 9v adapter. 90% of the interference/noise is gone now. i don't know if this means something wasn't soldered correctly, grounded or what but i'm just glad to have the noise gone. is this common knowledge? has anyone else had this issue?

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Alert midi noob question!
Does anyone knows if I can midi sync a Microgranny with a midi modded monotribe as master?
:help:
Edit:
If I'm correct the monotribe convert the sync input in midi clock output, so if I have a first monotribe that send sync to a second monotribe, does it send midi clock to the microgranny?

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Answer from the monotribe modifications thread:
YES.
Just purchase an used Microgranny limited edition, the crystal soul one. Looks nice indeed, can't wait for it to arrive here :nana:

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:40 pm

just noticed they're on version 2.4 now. ordered a new atmega chip.

http://noise.kitchen/shop/diy-desktop/2 ... crogranny/

Odiamo
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Odiamo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:26 pm

i've heard there are some code hacks people are starting on some of these, anyone heard of one to make it a step sequencer cycling through each sample of a particular preset? maybe using the shift speed for tempo through each sample? im not sure if this is possible but i feel like it'd be easy enough to rig it up and i would love that!

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:28 am

placidhouse wrote:just noticed they're on version 2.4 now. ordered a new atmega chip.

http://noise.kitchen/shop/diy-desktop/2 ... crogranny/
Me too 8-)

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am

Does anyone knows if/where I can download the factory sample for the 'granny? :help:

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 pm

i can't find the link for the life of me! i have the file. pm me your email and i'll send it to you.

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Just send a pm, thank you!

guillaume
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guillaume » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:46 pm

I got a microgranny, enjoying it so far. Apologies for the probably basic question, I'm still new to synthesis and all that.

I'd like to sample music from my iPhone/laptop. If I just connect the line out of my device to the line in of my microgranny using a 3.5-3.5 stereo jack, I only hear weird glitchy sound. Using a mono cable doesn't seem to fix anything.

What's the issue here? What's the fastest way to get sound from my laptop/iPhone sampled into my microgranny? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:41 pm

guillaume wrote:I got a microgranny, enjoying it so far. Apologies for the probably basic question, I'm still new to synthesis and all that.

I'd like to sample music from my iPhone/laptop. If I just connect the line out of my device to the line in of my microgranny using a 3.5-3.5 stereo jack, I only hear weird glitchy sound. Using a mono cable doesn't seem to fix anything.

What's the issue here? What's the fastest way to get sound from my laptop/iPhone sampled into my microgranny? Is it even possible?

Thanks!
hmmm, haven't tried recording through line in but seems odd to get that result. not do be daft, but, did you follow the manual steps?

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:43 pm

guillaume wrote:I got a microgranny, enjoying it so far. Apologies for the probably basic question, I'm still new to synthesis and all that.

Thanks!
You may have a problem with the jack or the input pot. Mine has that issue as well. I'd still double check the recording process. Are you actually recording and that's all that is coming through? Or that's all your are able to preview?

guillaume
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guillaume » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:09 pm

I believe I'm recording the right way: press the RECORD button, press the pad to which I wish to record, optionally press HOLD to monitor the input, press RECORD to start recording, wait, press RECORD again to stop recording.

I'm getting proper recordings through the onboard mic.

Is it documented whether the input jack is mono/stereo on the microgranny? And is it expecting a line level or mic level signal?

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Yeah, you are definitely recording the right way. Are you hearing everything right when you monitor it?

bimbom
Common Wiggler

Post by bimbom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:57 pm

mine acts a little weird if the battery is low.
gear : elektron stuff , nord stuff , roland stuff and little cheap boxes.
www.instagram.com/re5etuk
www.soundcloud.com/re5etuk

guillaume
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guillaume » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:39 pm

So I messed around a tiny bit more, and turns out that there's a very narrow range for the Input pot where proper sound from line in will come in. Outside of that range, it's just weird static.

That's not expected behavior, right?

moononfire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moononfire » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:53 pm

guillaume wrote:So I messed around a tiny bit more, and turns out that there's a very narrow range for the Input pot where proper sound from line in will come in. Outside of that range, it's just weird static.

That's not expected behavior, right?
I had this problem too when I first started experimenting with recording through the line-in. Input volume increases gain, so if you turn the input up a lot it will end up destroying the signal and creating nothing but static.

If you're recording in a noisy environment (like a saxophonist on the subway) you don't really even need to turn up the input gain, especially if you're recording close to built-in mic. Personally, I don't usually turn up the input gain past 10 o'clock.
Last edited by moononfire on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moononfire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moononfire » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:56 pm

I love this Microgranny! It has fast become the most fun tool in my set-up.

I have a 2.1 and am awaiting my 2.4 chip. Looking forward to the upgrade. I opened my microgranny to see how to replace the chip, is any soldering required? Or do I just pop the old chip out and put the new one in? Does Bastl send instructions on how to do this with the new chip? I guess I could be patient and see when it comes, but I'm just curious :hihi:

jshell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jshell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:31 pm

moononfire wrote:I love this Microgranny! It has fast become the most fun tool in my set-up.

I have a 2.1 and am awaiting my 2.4 chip. Looking forward to the upgrade. I opened my microgranny to see how to replace the chip, is any soldering required? Or do I just pop the old chip out and put the new one in? Does Bastl send instructions on how to do this with the new chip? I guess I could be patient and see when it comes, but I'm just curious :hihi:
Ha! I have the same questions. I haven't ordered my chip yet. Did you get just the chip from them? Part of me felt strange just spending 5euro, so then I'd start building up orders of additional Trinity modules and then I'd go "that's too much to spend right now!" and here I am, still on 2.1.

If no one has answers to your question, please come back and tell us how it went. :)
Jeff Shell for Eucci and AODL
Finest harsh noise and electroacoustics since 1994

http://euc.cx/ | https://sunhill.bandcamp.com/

FS - Pittsburgh Modular Generator+Expander

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:06 pm

moononfire wrote:is any soldering required? Or do I just pop the old chip out and put the new one in?
no soldering required, just remove the old and put in the new. it's a little tricky. my chip was really snug but working a mini flat head screwdriver with a bit of force got it out.

no instructions were included in the envelope. just the chip and a bastl instruments sticker. not even an invoice. :party:

moononfire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moononfire » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 pm

no soldering required, just remove the old and put in the new. it's a little tricky. my chip was really snug but working a mini flat head screwdriver with a bit of force got it out.

no instructions were included in the envelope. just the chip and a bastl instruments sticker. not even an invoice. w00t
Gotta have that sticker!

Thanks placidhouse! Waiting for it to arrive, will let everyone know how it works out. I ordered it a few weeks ago, haven't heard from them, but with holidays and such, I am patient. And I assume they're out at NAMM and will ship it once they get back to the noise kitchen.

ollilab
Common Wiggler

Post by ollilab » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:31 am

threadbump:

i have a 2.4 MG, and I have massive problems loading samples in the correct format.. i follow the process to the letter, eg using audacity, convert stereo to mono and 22050, then export as wav pcm..

thing is, im on MAC osx, and the weird thing is that my successrate (no pun intended) is very inconsistent, eg i use same process.. sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Extremely annoying and its driving me insane.. to the point that im thinking of ditching the unit as I can easily spend 30 minutes ++ to transfer one silly sample.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems ?

davydka
Common Wiggler

Post by davydka » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Is there a way to pass audio through unaffected, as a dry signal? BTW that google doc manual is crazy.

Return to “General Gear”