Microgranny V2.0

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:08 am

placidhouse wrote:forgive me if this is old news but thought i'd post as i couldn't find any definitive source of info on the amount of background noise experienced while the microgranny sits idle.

obviously it isn't too big of a problem because i haven't found mention of it too many times but some have posted about a motor-like sound when a sample isn't playing. i wasn't sure if something was wrong with mine because i couldn't hear it in posted youtube videos/soundcloud files but it was really bothering me.

the point? i took the battery out and used a 9v adapter. 90% of the interference/noise is gone now. i don't know if this means something wasn't soldered correctly, grounded or what but i'm just glad to have the noise gone. is this common knowledge? has anyone else had this issue?
I rather guess you have a shitty power supply. I play the Guitar and have tons of these wall warts. Some of them cause pedals to buzz and hum like crazy. Batteries of course never do this.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:17 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
placidhouse wrote:i took the battery out and used a 9v adapter. 90% of the interference/noise is gone now.
I rather guess you have a shitty power supply. Some of them cause pedals to buzz and hum like crazy. Batteries of course never do this.
:despair: :roll:
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 pm

felixer wrote:
:despair: :roll:[/quote]

:doh: Looks like I got that one wrong. But that's strange. Guitar pedals are usually dead quiet when powered with a battery but some power supplies make them hum. It's never ever the other way around.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:45 am

davydka wrote:Is there a way to pass audio through unaffected, as a dry signal?
No, in fact it doesn't even pass the input through while you are recording a sample. It works best on a send from a mixer, or at least a Y cable to split your source.
davydka wrote:BTW that google doc manual is crazy.
Indeed, I'm not sure why they think that format is helpful. It's simple enough to figure out most things from the front panel though, and then search forums for other questions.

esread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esread » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Jason Brock wrote: No, in fact it doesn't even pass the input through while you are recording a sample.
Actually, while recording, if you hold down the 'hold' button it does pass through the audio while you are recording.

esread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esread » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 am

ollilab wrote:threadbump:

i have a 2.4 MG, and I have massive problems loading samples in the correct format.. i follow the process to the letter, eg using audacity, convert stereo to mono and 22050, then export as wav pcm..

thing is, im on MAC osx, and the weird thing is that my successrate (no pun intended) is very inconsistent, eg i use same process.. sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Extremely annoying and its driving me insane.. to the point that im thinking of ditching the unit as I can easily spend 30 minutes ++ to transfer one silly sample.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems ?
I'm on a Windows 10 machine and having very similar experiences with inconsistency in the MG being able to load a sample. It's complete hit or miss and I am not sure why at all. For a while I thought it might be something to do with the metadata in the WAV file but I don't think so now. I'll take a sample and convert it to 16-bit 22khz mono PCM wav etc etc and rename it and save it to the sdcard and the MG just won't find it. So I throw it on another sdcard and viola, it loads just fine. No difference in formatting. It's kind of annoying. I'm going to try contacting their customer service again about it but I don't think it likely they'll have anything new to say. (BTW I love your stuff on youtube.)

UPDATE: So this is more of a reminder note for me but maybe it'll prove helpful to you. I was just trying one more time with the sample that was eluding conversion yesterday and of course it just suddenly started working. The only thing I did differently was I saved it (in Adobe Audition) with a "Legacy Audition Format Multiple Data Chunks option. Whatever that is. But it worked. :confused:

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 pm

double post
Last edited by GimmeDat on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Microgranny Firmware update: 2.5

http://noise.kitchen/shop/diy-desktop/2 ... crogranny/

(the link and shop text still says 2.4, but it's 2.5 .. check the link/shop and see for yourself)

Version 2.5

new better sample bank :)
fixes in midi implementation (midi velocity bug, lowest notes
to play samples were offset)

i ordered a couple microgrannies back in may, the 2.5 firmware has been on the bastl github since june 6th, and my order shipped a few days ago - just over three weeks since the 2.5 firmware update was available to the public. I really hope they updated the microgranny chips before shipping my order :doh: :doh: :doh:

esread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esread » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:43 am

Yeah. I'd like to know which version I have too. I've not been able to get an answer out of them since they shipped mine to me. I was hoping they'd been updated to 2.5 as well but I haven't been able to find any indicators. Maybe time for me to email them again.

victorjohn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by victorjohn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:42 am

I just got one! A neon red "Distant Raver" unit.

Mine also has quite a bit of background noise? Was this determined to be normal?

One thing I noticed, is I don't hear it if I am running the output direct to a pair of headphones. I'll sanity check that today, and also pick up a power supply from Radio Snack, because I'd like one anyway.

Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?

Either way this machine is badass, it makes samples sound huge. I threw some notes at it, from the Machinedrum, ran the output thru my Kaoss Pad, all running over a basic 909 sequence... instant super funk, Jeff Mills mother ship transition track. So fun, and good enough to make finished work! Yay Bastl!!

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:50 am

esread wrote:Yeah. I'd like to know which version I have too. I've not been able to get an answer out of them since they shipped mine to me. I was hoping they'd been updated to 2.5 as well but I haven't been able to find any indicators. Maybe time for me to email them again.
please do let us know what you discover!
thanks

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:54 am

victorjohn wrote:I just got one! A neon red "Distant Raver" unit.

1: Mine also has quite a bit of background noise? Was this determined to be normal?

2: One thing I noticed, is I don't hear it if I am running the output direct to a pair of headphones. I'll sanity check that today, and also pick up a power supply from Radio Snack, because I'd like one anyway.

3: Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?
1: your best bet would be to upload a recording somewhere, and fellow microgranny users should be able to tell you if it is normal or not. if you use soundcloud, make sure you allow the file to be downloaded... otherwise we can only stream it with soundclouds compression

2: i don't have mine yet, but that doesn't sound right. there's an error somewhere I'd imagine, either user error or a hardware error ? better do a sanity double-check!

3: refer to 1 .... you should upload an audio demo or two

good luck : )

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:08 pm

btw, i have a query for the DSP/arduino/atmega/modding minded amongst the readers of this thread.

assuming the microgranny is running at maximum DSP capacity for the hardware it uses... what would be required to replace the 'crusher' effect, with a bandpass filter instead ?

of course it would be great to simply add it and leave the crusher...but I'll just go ahead and assume there aren't enough resources to have both effects.

for my uses, a bandpass filter - no matter how rudimentary - would be infinitely more useful than a crusher effect. though it occurs to me that the crusher effect might be some super lean code, while even a rudimentary bandpass filter might require more resource than what is available.

esread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esread » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 am

victorjohn wrote:Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?
No reply from my latest attempt to contact them. They are sort of notorious in this department. I feel like I've noticed the line noise disappears when it is actively playing but I think it's just something we have to live with. Oh, and if you plug two MGs together the line noise is even worse! But if you fiddle with the output levels the line noise will intermittently disappear. But I do have to say I really love these devices.

victorjohn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by victorjohn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:16 pm

GimmeDat wrote:

1: Mine also has quite a bit of background noise? Was this determined to be normal?

2: One thing I noticed, is I don't hear it if I am running the output direct to a pair of headphones. I'll sanity check that today, and also pick up a power supply from Radio Snack, because I'd like one anyway.

3: Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?
1: your best bet would be to upload a recording somewhere, and fellow microgranny users should be able to tell you if it is normal or not. if you use soundcloud, make sure you allow the file to be downloaded... otherwise we can only stream it with soundclouds compression

2: i don't have mine yet, but that doesn't sound right. there's an error somewhere I'd imagine, either user error or a hardware error ? better do a sanity double-check!

Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to your input when yours arrives. As it is, even if I uploaded some audio, you have nothing to compare yet. I'll get some audio demos up, if we can determine if that would even be useful?

It should be easy for MG owners to answer about the presence of line noise, without a demo. Its either there, and common, or most units sound clean and I have a dud.

It seems other users have heard the noise, was just wondering how that ended up for them. I have an email into support, just waiting.

As to the issue with headphones vs mixer inputs at line level... there definitely could be problems there depending on how they set up the output impedance. At that point, it would be a design flaw, more than error on anyone's part.
esread wrote:
victorjohn wrote:Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?
No reply from my latest attempt to contact them. They are sort of notorious in this department. I feel like I've noticed the line noise disappears when it is actively playing but I think it's just something we have to live with. Oh, and if you plug two MGs together the line noise is even worse! But if you fiddle with the output levels the line noise will intermittently disappear. But I do have to say I really love these devices.
I figured this might be the way of things. My own guess is the output noise, given its very digital pattern, is a result of just how bit-crushed everything that goes through this machine truly becomes... but I was hoping we'd get a clear answer from HQ.
Last edited by victorjohn on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorjohn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by victorjohn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Double Post.

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:38 pm

victorjohn wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to your input when yours arrives. As it is, even if I uploaded some audio, you have nothing to compare yet. I'll get some audio demos up, if we can determine if that would even be useful?

so what if I don't have mine yet. maybe comprehension isn't your strong suit, but I said "fellow microgranny users should be able to tell you if it is normal or not" ... you realise of course that there are owners of microgrannies in this very thread, right ? it's not just me and you talking here.

as for determining if uploading demo's would be useful ... well, it depends on how you define useful. do you want a definitive answer to your query or not ? if yes, I would say that it would be useful. for you at least.

victorjohn wrote: It should be easy for MG owners to answer about the presence of line noise, without a demo. Its either there, and common, or most units sound clean and I have a dud.
the microgranny is by its very nature lofi .... so without hearing what you are hearing, how is a fellow microgranny owner supposed to tell you - with any accuracy - if the noise you are hearing is normal or not ? it is a comparative process and you are providing nothing to compare with. Your noise levels could be worse than what is 'normal' for the microgranny. Even I can tell you, without having received mine yet, that noise on the microgranny is 'normal'. However, without being psychic, I can't tell you if the noise levels on YOUR unit are normal.

victorjohn wrote: It seems other users have heard the noise, was just wondering how that ended up for them. I have an email into support, just waiting.

As to the issue with headphones vs mixer inputs at line level... there definitely could be problems there depending on how they set up the output impedance. At that point, it would be a design flaw, more than error on anyone's part.
not really interested in a debate on semantics, but if you think in the given context that there's a large enough difference between 'hardware error' and 'design flaw' to make a point of it... I can't help you.
victorjohn wrote:
esread wrote:
I figured this might be the way of things. My own guess is the output noise, given its very digital pattern, is a result of just how bit-crushed everything that goes through this machine truly becomes... but I was hoping we'd get a clear answer from HQ.
I think your expectation for definitive answers, either from users or from HQ, without providing audio demos is a bit far fetched. Though I'm sure many people can tell you 'noise on microgranny is normal' without hearing your unit. Maybe I'm insane, but in the same scenario I would rather they heard what I'm talking about before I would ask them to comment on whether it is normal or not.

:hmm:

GimmeDat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GimmeDat » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:41 pm

esread wrote:
interesting, particularly the bit about plugging two together. in that case it might be a ground loop noise problem ... in which case something like this would help:

victorjohn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by victorjohn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Gimmedat, you are being strange man.

I've learned nothing from you: you don't have the machine in front of you, and you feel the need to correct me at every turn.

I am not sure what to do with that, but I'll wait for more fellow owners to chime in. I don't think my questions are so obtuse that I deserve a caning in public, especially since I am not the only one who has approached this topic.

I mean roll 3-4 pages back, you'll see this has been asked a couple of times, and no one has exactly confirmed or denied it. Not a user, nor a Bastl employee. I revived the question. Its a reasonable set of questions, and ones you aren't truly in a position to answer, because you cannot plug in an MG presently. I invite you to tell me what you think, exactly the moment after you listen to the machine live.

Are you mad, because I make you afraid you ordered a wonky machine? Join the club.

placidhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by placidhouse » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:20 am

Mine also has quite a bit of background noise? Was this determined to be normal?

One thing I noticed, is I don't hear it if I am running the output direct to a pair of headphones. I'll sanity check that today, and also pick up a power supply from Radio Snack, because I'd like one anyway.

Is the noise something we just live with, or am I up for an adventure with customer support?
i mentioned the noise in my post up above but as you can see, it didn't get much of a response. maybe it's only something a small amount of us are dealing with.
bastl has a forum but i don't think there's a way to it through their site, only by googling "bastl instruments forum" does it show up. really odd.
and the forum responses are sparse at best. some people with issues seem to have been left hanging. lame.

mine still has noise but using the external power supply helped. ymmv. please let us know if you get a response or how using an external supply works out for you.
my microgranny has taken a back seat but i'm wanting to get it back in the mix again and seeing this post reminded me of that!

esread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esread » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 am

Let's try and keep this thread friendly, ok?

HRTL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HRTL » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:47 am

ollilab wrote:threadbump:

i have a 2.4 MG, and I have massive problems loading samples in the correct format.. i follow the process to the letter, eg using audacity, convert stereo to mono and 22050, then export as wav pcm..

thing is, im on MAC osx, and the weird thing is that my successrate (no pun intended) is very inconsistent, eg i use same process.. sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Extremely annoying and its driving me insane.. to the point that im thinking of ditching the unit as I can easily spend 30 minutes ++ to transfer one silly sample.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems ?
hey!

the audacity works bad with MG. I was never able to export correctly on audacity. Im on PC and have 100% succes with ableton or freemake audio converter. cheers!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:09 pm

:sadbanana: I haven't been using mine at all :sadbanana: It's empty
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 am

Just updated my MicroGranny to v2.5 and as usual with Bastl Instruments stuff, it's super easy to do yourself, especially if you are on Mac OSX and have one of those Sparkfun FTDi USB programmers:

1. Download their production gitHub thing here (green button "clone or download"):
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production

2. Extract the downloaded ZIP somewhere

3. Unscrew the bottom of the MicroGranny 2, remove the battery, connect the programmer like this:

... and slide the power switch to battery. The MG should turn on now via the USB programmer.

3. Double-click "setup.command", type in the number of your USB programmer (might have to scroll up in the Terminal window to see it) and hit enter.

4. Double-click the "upload.command" file, enter the number of the file "microGranny2_5.cpp.hex" and hit enter. It will tell you when it's done.

5. Close the window, disconnect everything and turn the MG switch to off ("plug").

6. Put the battery back into the MG and switch it on again. During the start-up procedure, there should be a little dot in the lower right corner of the LCD indicating that you're on v2.5 now:

7. Download the new free sample pack from the Bastl Instruments website if you like and put it on the microSD card:
http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instru ... crogranny/

Rock on! :bananaguitar: :deadbanana: :sb: :goo:
Last edited by flx on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 am

Here's a demo video of the MicroGranny 2.5 :goo: :goo: :goo:

[video][/video]
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com