Microgranny V2.0

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 pm

I miss my MG. The fun I had with it and TO was amazing. I should rebuy one at some point...
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

estebandito
Learning to Wiggle

Post by estebandito » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:27 pm

StrongWrong, Thanks for clarifying and I am definitely going to
try embedding the lowest octave notes into a sequence to automatically select a different sample! Also, thanks for the audio in mono to mono cable tip: I found it nearly impossible to sample with MG using the audio in because it's so hot.

Paranormal Patroler, why did you get rid of your MG?

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm

estebandito
You are very welcome...
yes the input is hot ...as I said in a previous post I leave the input vol all the way down and put a hot (short of distortion) signal into the input... seems to work better than using the input vol knob on the mG.
I've discovered a couple other cool things that I'll post when I can reproduce them reliably...stay tuned.
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones
https://soundcloud.com/strongwrong-1

estebandito
Learning to Wiggle

Post by estebandito » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:31 am

StrongWrong, really curious to hear about your findings!

Have you noticed how the sample start and end knobs (in blue mode) vary in their behaviors with different samples? With longer samples, the sample start knob seems very precise and capable of single digit variations whereas the end knob appears to be limited to skipping across large chunks of the sample not allowing precise adjustments. I haven't worked out why This happens, apart from the fact that sample length seems to be influencing it.

Another thing I noticed is the display being all over the place when operating the MG in battery mode. To the point of not responding to adjustments at all and freezing up.

So far I managed to 'crash' the MG only a few times (wiggling grain size and shift speed knobs too enthusiastically). Has this happened to you?

Alright, I am going to try and embed those lower octaves in a sequence, like you suggested.

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 am

estebandito wrote:StrongWrong, really curious to hear about your findings!

Have you noticed how the sample start and end knobs (in blue mode) vary in their behaviors with different samples?
I don't know how technical or accurate this is, but my understanding is that each sample is divided into 1024 grains. longer samples would therefore have larger grains, so when sweeping sample start/end points you may be adjusting or trimming grains as opposed to milliseconds, etc. this could also be due to limitations of the software trying to interpret the knob position. i've always found the knobs a bit jittery.
BandCamp Instagram
"peoples moist elbow cruxes, sodden with phlegm" - Joe.

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

On the subject of embedding those C-2 lowest octave notes to change the sample...
I said that these lowest octave notes don't sound... only partially true.

They won"t "sound" samples on the mG but, those notes are recorded and played back by your seq... midi wise.
Upper "seq" notes and lowest "sample select" notes have to be on the same midi channel, because the mG can only respond to one midi channel.
The problem is the mG will attempt to play the upper seq and the lowest note seq at the same time.
The lowest notes will pull/glitch the upper seq notes/samples because the mG can only play one note at a time. Depending on the sample this can be tasty/ nasty.

A solution that works for me is to set the C-2 oct notes to the lowest "duration" amount your seq can (in my case 01) it will still trigger the note midi wise, but it's to short to trigger the mG sample wise.
Now the upper seq notes/samples play cleanly.

I recorded a single bass note/sample of 3 different pitches ...C-Eb-F as 3 "different" samples corresponding to lowest notes C-C#-D (pads 1,2,3)...then I recorded a walking bass line for 2 bars (upper seq notes)...Then I used the lowest notes to transpose the bass line... either manually or recorded to a 2nd track of the sequencer. Worked ! Then I start messing with the grain size and speed... warped !!

Now I realize that using the mG as a "kinda multisampler" is a lotta work and not the purpose of this box...but it was a good experiment.
The mG is a noizbox for sure... but I feel the need to push it to the fringes... :twisted:

Edit: to do the transpose trick above the single notes must be separate samples...not a single sample transposed to multiple pads.
Don't know why...
Last edited by StrongWrong on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones

estebandito
Learning to Wiggle

Post by estebandito » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 am

"A solution that works for me is to set the C-2 oct notes to the lowest "duration" amount your seq can (in my case 01) it will still trigger the note midi wise, but it's to short to trigger the mG sample wise."

My QY-10 must have been set to short notes, because when I tried to embed the lowest octave notes it worked and I didn't hear anything other than I wanted to hear. Either that or its so limited I don't have to worry about the complications that might occur when using more advanced devices :)

behinger
Learning to Wiggle

microgranny noise issues - redux

Post by behinger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi StrongWrong,
Sorry, I'm so late to the party. I've been searching for this info for some time now, and just came across your post regarding the microgranny input jack. You mention not using a stereo cable with stereo>mono adapter. Can you offer a suggestion then for connecting a stereo source (such as an iphone?). Would a mono cable with a mono>stereo adapter at the source end work?

StrongWrong wrote:Just thought I'd add to the mG knowledge base...

Cables:
INPUT- should be MONO to MONO cable.
The mG has a tip/ring/sleeve(gnd) input jack, but the ring is tied to the sleeve, don't use stereo cables or stereo cables with stereo>mono adapters. You don't want the one side of the stereo image shunted to ground. mG does not like this !

OUTPUT- should be STEREO to Left/Right Breakout cable.
The mG is a mono synth but outputs the same signal on tip and ring.
I 'd call this "Dual Mono".

If you want only mono out use either left or right from the breakout cable...leave the other unconnected (floating), doesn't seem to matter left or right

Into 2 channels of a mixer you can hard pan each channel to get "kinda stereo"...puttin'stereo efx on one channel works great.

Into a stereo input channel... the pan works as a balance between tip and ring... same sound left or right turn, again some efx are always cool
Be careful when sampling and using the record/ hold (audio passthru) buttons. The mG outputs the passthru audio on the ring, if both outs are connected to a channel you can get phase cancellation depending on where the mG out volume and the mixer channel vols are.
Best to experiment and see what works with your gear.

I've gained this info by spending way to much time recording the same sample over and over again... changing different cables, changing the input and output gain stages of the mG, changing in and out channel volumes on the mixer during sampling and playback...this is my cross to bear... and then again I could be all wrong :zombie:

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 am

Behinger, just saw your post...

I 've never tried an adapter on just the source end of a mono cable...

Typically stereo > mono adapters tie the ring to the tip...it could work.
But passively forcing stereo to mono can sometimes produce less than optimal results depending on your source material...for example you don't want panning because of potential phase problems.
You'll just have to try it with your source and listen.

Yeah interest in the mG goes up and down
Better late to the party than never...
if you're aware of some of it's limitations and workarounds the mG can be a great little sampler !
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones

bcomnes
Common Wiggler

MICROGRANNY CHEAT SHEET

Post by bcomnes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey if you want a cheat sheet for the back of you microgranny so you don't have to remember all the ccs

Here you go

just copy image/save and print

it looks like this

enjoy that little beast[/img]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too Loud?

Too Bad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

postUser
Learning to Wiggle

Modified samples and my own samples in a unique MicroSD

Post by postUser » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:42 am

Hi,
i post this question here just for not to open another tiny thread about MG....

What is it the way i could join togheter my own samples and some modified samples thah i worked out from MicroSD containing original 2.5 samples from bastl?

1) i was working out with sounds on MG_2.5 samples and i saved the presets PR96, PR95, PR94

2) i had my own samples (already prepared) and named A0, A1, A4....B0, B1......

What is the common way to (in a unique SD card) put all togheter?

What are filename i have to give to my own samples for just copy the files on SD original and can access on a namely preset?

Thanks

postUser
Learning to Wiggle

Post by postUser » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:43 am

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

i saw it clear.

I suppose i have to found which filenames are missing to give my own samples exactly that names, so i could paste in directly on a modified "from factory card".

For example the next filenames are suitable to copy your samples:

A1,2,3,4,5,6

B1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

C1,C2,C9

mihata
Common Wiggler

Post by mihata » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 am

that's correct, if you have original samples named A1, A3, A5, what you should do is name your new ones A2, A4 etc. You should know that the appendix goes from 0 to 9 and then with letters - so A0, A1, A2 till A9 and then it's AA, AB, AC etc.

One advice is to fill all your letter slots with samples as it takes some time for the MG to figure out there are no samples in given slot, otherwise it switches much quicker.

InDefianceOfGravity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by InDefianceOfGravity » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Has anyone been able to install 2.5 firmware on Windows? The official site for XLoader is gone/down. I was able to track a couple of versions floating around, but they all give me errors after trying to update. I found this ArduinoSketchUploader utility:

https://github.com/twinearthsoftware/Ar ... chUploader

and it actually sends 100% of the new firmware to the device. But then there's a step that verifies that what it uploaded matches what's on the device and that always fails and the device is not really updated.

Any ideas?

slowcities
Learning to Wiggle

Updating sans the chip

Post by slowcities » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:47 pm

[quote="SPIKE the Percussionist"][quote="flx"]Just updated my MicroGranny to v2.5 and as usual with Bastl Instruments stuff, it's super easy to do yourself, especially if you are on Mac OSX and have one of those Sparkfun FTDi USB programmers:

1. Download their production gitHub thing here (green button "clone or download"):
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production

2. Extract the downloaded ZIP somewhere

3. Unscrew the bottom of the MicroGranny 2, remove the battery, connect the programmer like this:

So I may be an idiot when it comes to this, but I just got a special edition of the microgranny 2.0 used and I have an FTDi programmer. How do I actually connect the two? I don't have any pins on to attach to around the M on the circuit board, everything seems to be pretty well soldered for no clear connection. I saw this photo and I'm confused as to how to make this connection.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Can you post a picture of your MG2 circuit board? There should just be a row of pins matching the FTDI adapter.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

slowcities
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slowcities » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:37 am

flx wrote:Can you post a picture of your MG2 circuit board? There should just be a row of pins matching the FTDI adapter.
Thank you for your help. See attached. There are definitely six pins attached to the circuit board on the opposite side of the "M" but not on the back of the board. Do I need to take this unit apart a bit more to get to the connection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 am

slowcities wrote:
flx wrote:Can you post a picture of your MG2 circuit board? There should just be a row of pins matching the FTDI adapter.
Thank you for your help. See attached. There are definitely six pins attached to the circuit board on the opposite side of the "M" but not on the back of the board. Do I need to take this unit apart a bit more to get to the connection?
Looks like whoever built it might have made a mistake there and soldered the pins to the wrong side. See if you can take the circuit board off and attach the FTDI adapter on the other side. Take care to connect it the right way then! The FTDI should power the MG2 (take out the batteries before), so if it doesn’t, then immediately unplug it and reverse the adapter.

Edit: also make sure that you really need to update the firmware. The 2.5 has a dot on the LCD on startup I think.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

nano_granny
Common Wiggler

Post by nano_granny » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:04 am

slowcities wrote:
Maybe just easier to resolder the pins correctly so that they come present on the rear of the pcb. Not sure if you can program from the other side as I'm not sure what you may have to disconnect to reach the pins

slowcities
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slowcities » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 am

Edit: also make sure that you really need to update the firmware. The 2.5 has a dot on the LCD on startup I think.[/quote]

Thanks again for all your help. it definitely needs the update. Also the capacitors are positioned in such a way that the FTDi can't make a flush connection with the right alignment. I can return this and I'm going to just because I didn't think it would get this involved or require me to purchase the chips.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:34 am

slowcities wrote: Thanks again for all your help. it definitely needs the update. Also the capacitors are positioned in such a way that the FTDi can't make a flush connection with the right alignment. I can return this and I'm going to just because I didn't think it would get this involved or require me to purchase the chips.
You could also find someone with an MG2 to flash the chip for you :)
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

electricfence
Common Wiggler

Post by electricfence » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:41 am

You could also buy a chip with the updated OS on it directly from Bastl, here:

https://noise.kitchen/updates/454-micro ... pdate.html

It costs 6 Euros, plus whatever they charge to ship it. But, hey, it might also give you an excuse to buy a Thyme or whatever. :75:

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Microgranny V2.0

Post by cliffemu » Mon May 18, 2020 6:20 pm

I recently picked up a new microgranny. When I'm sending it MIDI from my PC, it gets overloaded and glitches out easily, requiring reboot. Is this normal behavior? I am sending it gates with stuttering repeats for drums and either changing the sample with pitch, or changing the start point with CC 108. Am I asking too much of the poor old granny?

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 am

It seems this thing is 6 years old. Can we expect a 16 bits microgranny 3.0 someday?

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed May 20, 2020 10:14 am

naos wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 am
It seems this thing is 6 years old. Can we expect a 16 bits microgranny 3.0 someday?
16 bits? Pffft, that wouldn‘t be a MicroGranny then :cry:

Seriously though, I think the MG2 was pretty successful, so I could indeed see an updated version in the future. However, despite the age of the MG2, it is still relevant and it still does what it’s supposed to do beautifully. So there isn‘t a really big need for an update on the other hand. I guess only time will tell.
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Return to “General Gear”