Waldorf Streichfett?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

walkwithlight
Learning to Wiggle

Waldorf Streichfett?

Post by walkwithlight » Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm

anyone have a chance to play one yet?
are they rack mountable?

thank you

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 pm

I playd one at Musik Messe. it sounded fantastic. I don't think it's rack mountable. its in the same case as a Rocket.

davydka
Common Wiggler

Post by davydka » Fri May 30, 2014 9:03 am

I hear they're shipping out July 1st.

wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Post by wyrtti » Sat May 31, 2014 12:18 am

I gave my band's singer/bassist a note for his 40th nirthday that I am getting him one as soon as they become available. :)
Eschew obfuscation!

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 pm

The little pink German is finally here.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... available/

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Interested to hear more of synth. Not heard anything I don't particularly like but not getting hooked in either. Just my thoughts anyway.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm really excited about this, but (and there's always a but) I'm not hearing a lot of tones from it that are reminiscent of my favourite string machines, the ARP Omni and Yamaha SS-30.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 am

Thought those demos sounded pretty dang great. I know they tweaked it towards certain machines more than others (not sure which ones), but I can't imagine a more fully featured or sonically diverse stringer in the vintage realm.

It's actually got me questioning whether I need to shell out for the local Yamaha SK-20 I've been eyeing!

Cadence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cadence » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 am

I think I'll make a judgement call once I hear a few more reviews in the coming weeks. I am anxious to hear how flexible this unit is.

acealive
voltage controlled mind

Post by acealive » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 am

I am waiting for this device to be available.

Meanwhile, the manual is available :
http://www.waldorf-music.info/streichfettdownloads

episod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by episod » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 am

I managed to get a preorder in via Sweetwater -- they don't know for sure when it will ship, but are projecting early September. I think the quoted US price was $369.

Really excited to add this into my setup and flow.

Oh, and I should mention -- it's not yet on the website.
Reality Technician on Soundcloud // @episod on Twitter

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm

If it had cv/gate I'd have a boner right now. It doesn't and not a big fan midi so yeahhhh ... :waah: :roll:
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:53 pm

burnn_out! wrote:If it had cv/gate I'd have a boner right now. It doesn't and not a big fan midi so yeahhhh ... :waah: :roll:
I know this is Muffs 'n' all, but how would adding cv/gate to something like this make sense? :hmm:

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

CV/Gate for something that has 128 voices of polyphony?

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Yeah, the anti-MIDI thing doesn't make sense with this. It's digital anyway and has gobs of polyphony. MIDI is a natural fit.

Barfunkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Barfunkel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:17 am

Definitely buying one when it comes out. The latest demos sound sweet. No idea what analog string machines sound, but I can think of a million uses for the sounds I've heard so far.

acealive
voltage controlled mind

Post by acealive » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 am

burnn_out! wrote:If it had cv/gate I'd have a boner right now. It doesn't and not a big fan midi so yeahhhh ... :waah: :roll:
What exactly would you do with CV/Gate for a polyphonic, digital Desktop Synth ?

In my case, the Main reason I never bought an old string machine is because they don't have MIDI.
So, finally a Stringer with MIDI, which is great news :yay:

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:40 am

fac wrote:CV/Gate for something that has 128 voices of polyphony?
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. "You want to play one note at a time or something?"

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:33 pm

get an a192-2 cv/gate->midi module and you can have two voices of stringer from modular synth/sq/random :mrgreen: no more excuses for not buying this :twisted:
that said it would have been nice if there was a cv/expression/footpedal input for that big registration/mix/timbre knob. but no doubt it would have made it more expensive, for just a few who would use it. for this kind of money you should deal with 'special requests' yourself. perfectly do-able 8_)
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 pm

skkatter wrote:
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. "You want to play one note at a time or something?"
I have no use 128 voices of polyphony. On a real note, does anybody besides Vangelis? I just want a string synth that isn't the size of a pontoon boat with cv control. I guess I'm alone on that though..
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:38 pm

burnn_out! wrote:
skkatter wrote:
I have no use 128 voices of polyphony. On a real note, does anybody besides Vangelis? I just want a string synth that isn't the size of a pontoon boat with cv control. I guess I'm alone on that though..
I also would like that, but for the size and price I think the "spreadable fat" will fit the niche just fine. Also I would only buy such a thing if the keyboard could also be used as an external polyphonic CV controller too (similar to the Roland 184 keyboard)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 am

burnn_out! wrote:I just want a string synth that isn't the size of a pontoon boat
but then you wouldn't have all the knobs, and it's back to menu-diving again :despair: as it is they had to combine several functions. but it seems like a practical compromise. i guess this thing is more for real-time players and less for programmers ...

and besides vangelis there's guys like cowell, ligeti and xenakis who regularly use a lot of voices for clusters/clouds.
the solo section is only 8 voice. to me that is a bit of a disappointment ...
on the plus side i realized that you can use all the fx simultaneously :tu:

if you want a 1voice cv stringer you can easily built a modular voice. main thing would be those washy fx, methinks ... switch that off and it's just a bunch of saw's.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 am

... or simply buy a bunch of cheap guitar pedals (choruses, phasers, flangers, reverbs) and use whatever synth with CV you already have.

I understand that 128 voices is probably overkill (although once you make 6-8 note chords with loooong releases, you might find out that 32 voices are quickly consumed). But who would want a monophonic stringer?

controlvoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by controlvoltage » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 am

fac wrote: But who would want a monophonic stringer?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:13 am

:hihi: ^
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Return to “General Gear”